PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Shortage in Hong Kong

Pages : 1 [2]

Dingleberry Handpump
20th Apr 2024, 05:41
Here are the latest growth rate of HKIA :

https://www.aci-asiapac.aero/media-centre/news/hkia-records-significant-growth-in-passenger-traffic-in-february

Here are the latest profit reports of Cathay :

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-13/cathay-pacific-2023-operating-profit-hits-record-1-9-billion

this is the order book:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/cathay-pacific-market-new-mid-sized-widebody-planes-2024-01-04/

Tell me which part you find difficult to understand, I am here to help.
I don’t need any help at all, thank you for offering.

If you think that each of those paints a rosy picture without any further context, then I’m happy for you.

Ps. My investment was worth one dollar a year ago - now it’s worth 2 dollars. What a growth rate!

Yes, it was easy to squeeze yield from pent-up demand when all you have available is a minuscule supply.

When the order book is fulfilled, how much larger will the CPG fleet be compared to 2019?

Are we still bullish on HK? Might be worth contacting the world’s financial press, they must have unilaterally missed the mark.

Sam Ting Wong
20th Apr 2024, 05:46
Well, you are clearly beyond help :-)

corporal klinger
20th Apr 2024, 06:16
When are you leaving, Dingleberry?

Icantleavebecause
20th Apr 2024, 11:39
Recruitment yet numbers lower than before Covid. Shortage of Captains, Abundance of shiny SOs

More would return but apparently, returnees are being forced to return on the type that they left on. I've heard that very experienced 777 Captains who volunteered to go to the 747F during COVID have been told that they must return to the 747F. This is being enforced, yet they are desperate for 777 crew. :ugh:

Various rumours that returnees will be drafted onto the narrow-bodied Airbus when they start arriving.

TurningFinalRWY36
20th Apr 2024, 15:46
More would return but apparently, returnees are being forced to return on the type that they left on. I've heard that very experienced 777 Captains who volunteered to go to the 747F during COVID have been told that they must return to the 747F. This is being enforced, yet they are desperate for 777 crew. :ugh:

Various rumours that returnees will be drafted onto the narrow-bodied Airbus when they start arriving.
I hate to be that guy but why should they get to return on the most desirable fleet in the company? I know seniority doesn't mean much anymore but if you return you are at the bottom. Crew still here should have the opportunity for airbus wide body and 777

Icantleavebecause
20th Apr 2024, 18:57
I hate to be that guy but why should they get to return on the most desirable fleet in the company? I know seniority doesn't mean much anymore but if you return you are at the bottom. Crew still here should have the opportunity for airbus wide body and 777

I get that, but aren't they taking ex-777 dudes back to the 777? Y'all would think they'd recruit onto fleets they're desperate for crew on rather than ones they're over-crewed on. Just sayin... Arent they also taking direct entry FO's onto the 777 and Airbus who were not previously in CX? Maybe I have my facts wrong as its all rumours over here. The other rumour is that the 747F is being leased out and will be crewed with non-CX crew. Again, just a rumour but this is PPrune :-)

corporal klinger
20th Apr 2024, 19:39
The "cargo-outsource" rumour seems to be cyclical. In my 22 years here this must be the fourth or fifth time it surfaced.

AQIS Boigu
20th Apr 2024, 22:22
The "cargo-outsource" rumour seems to be cyclical. In my 22 years here this must be the fourth or fifth time it surfaced.

I actually preferred the “vote yes,
or they are going to give it all to Dragonair…”

Mentioned at a fleet forum ran by the DCP Airbus in 2018

Dingleberry Handpump
21st Apr 2024, 09:09
When are you leaving, Dingleberry?
I left at the end of 2021, why do you ask?

cxflog
21st Apr 2024, 14:13
Oh no, now they’re going to insult you for hanging around this forum even after leaving.

Dingleberry Handpump
21st Apr 2024, 16:16
Oh no, now they’re going to insult you for hanging around this forum even after leaving.
Oh no!

Sleepy Joe
21st Apr 2024, 18:09
No issue there. I left in 2022 and hang around here as it’s highly entertaining!!!

cxflog
21st Apr 2024, 19:06
No issue there. I left in 2022 and hang around here as it’s highly entertaining!!!
Me too, I’m just here for the memes about PC, JT and MS.

corporal klinger
23rd Apr 2024, 05:47

100+ posts since you (allegedly) left, almost all predicting the imminent downfall and implosion of your (allegedly) former employer would be for sure pathological. Beyond sad.

Having said that, reading and answering your posts, in my free time, knowing you are most probably full of it anyway, that is arguably worse :)

Dingleberry Handpump
23rd Apr 2024, 10:02
You called it!

cxflog
23rd Apr 2024, 13:28
You called it!
Not my first rodeo, been dealing with these morons since I first joined Cx.

SunnyTheSemen
23rd Apr 2024, 17:23
They only have themselves to blame for lack of experiences pilots . Lots of very great aviators have since come to the sand pit where everything is close to perfect and everybody is extremely friendly and my close circle of friends all have fast cars and expensive watches.

Babyjet_dododo
24th Apr 2024, 14:06
They only have themselves to blame for lack of experiences pilots . Lots of very great aviators have since come to the sand pit where everything is close to perfect and everybody is extremely friendly and my close circle of friends all have fast cars and expensive watches.

They really don’t care about experience, experience costs money and that’s now only a privilege to a select few in the fleet office and higher. Running a full service airline with a cost base of a LCC is their wet dream that has nearly become a reality.

corporal klinger
25th Apr 2024, 01:07
Nonsense. The "experience level" is not higher in the sandpit compared to here. They have exactly the same issues, advertise for DEC, even had to introduce a minimum age for upgrades. And last not least very dubious hiring and promotion practices of locals. You have no idea.

Rice power
25th Apr 2024, 07:41
Correct Klinger, all those Senior Cn's leaving in the last 2 yrs made zero dent on the experience level of the airline.
You are as unhinged as your namesake.
CX deserve you.

corporal klinger
25th Apr 2024, 09:53
I never said it had no result, I said EK is not better.

Babyjet_dododo
25th Apr 2024, 11:37

Are you part of EK or CX? You heard stories about EK? If only Chinese whispers didn’t exist and facts were given without emotion.

While most that comment on CX threads have been with CX long enough to know exactly what it’s like there.

By the way, most of the “gripes” written here about CX is true.

Zi Peng
25th Apr 2024, 21:17
They really don’t care about experience, experience costs money and that’s now only a privilege to a select few in the fleet office and higher. Running a full service airline with a cost base of a LCC is their wet dream that has nearly become a reality.

Spot on !
They are surviving with experienced CNs who stayed, 15-10 years FOs now upgrading, ex KA although upgraded out of seniority (I know, doesn’t exist anymore), very few good guys they managed to hire, a few SOs with decent prior experience and returnees.
Other than that they are hiring a bunch of former bankers.
I have been contacted by several people for info, I had them talking with others as well for a second opinion, nobody joined.
Even 2.5 years FR FOs are now remaining there for their command.
CX signed a LOA with two big mainland college, that is what is next .

Gnadenburg
26th Apr 2024, 08:05
ex KA although upgraded out of seniority (I know, doesn’t exist anymore), .

DEC’s too but why would you even humiliate yourself and mention seniority?

Dingleberry Handpump
26th Apr 2024, 09:06
Average experience in an EK new hire class is several thousand hours airbus/Boeing, despite the hiring environment tightening.

Average CX entrant can’t get a job anywhere else.