PDA

View Full Version : New to helos

sharpend
15th Jun 2022, 21:12
Hi learned ones, I am a very experienced ex military QFI with a PPL(A). I'm starting a course towards a PPL(H), on the Cabri G2. I'm told I get some dispensation in training and exams. The exams apparently for me are: Principles of flight, Operational Procedures, Flight planning and performance and aircraft general knowledge. What exact books and exam guides do you suggest I get (incl CAD)

gipsymagpie
16th Jun 2022, 06:17
Usually I'd say CAP2254 has the answers (Military Accreditation) but that's not where your credit is coming from. In your case, you're bridging from your PPL(A) to PPL(H) theoretical knowledge. If you are only aiming for a PPL in each category and never intend to fly commercially then the reference you need is in Part FCL appendix 1. It states (via reference to FCL.215) you get credit for certain subjects when getting a PPL in a new category. The ones left are: PoF, Op Procedures, Flight Perf and Planning and aircraft general knowledge.

As to what to look at to study, there's plenty of books available - read up an Amazon or ask an instructor at the school is probably best.

Now if you do intend to fly commercially then it's potentially different. One assumes you flew on the frontline fixed wing. You get credit for the training before the exams - you have to do all of them . Once you have that, you can bridge to the 5 Heli specific exams to get Heli ATPL credit. However, I suspect that's all overkill.

sycamore
16th Jun 2022, 09:55
P of F Helicopters,by Wagtendonk; or any by Shaun Coyle...

Hughes500
17th Jun 2022, 07:24
Think you need to do navigation as well. Phil Croucher's PPL helicopter book is pretty good

gipsymagpie
17th Jun 2022, 07:49
Think you need to do navigation as well. Phil Croucher's PPL helicopter book is pretty good

That was true in the past. Current FCL.215 has moved navigation to the "common" section. You do not need To do nav again.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/900x2000/screenshot_20220617_084356_xodo_docs_9cd2c124d29da2a501d72ee 64af75c23092c4624.jpg

212man
17th Jun 2022, 13:47
Requiring a fast jet QFI to do a PPL navigation exam is an amusing thought!

gipsymagpie
17th Jun 2022, 13:51
Requiring a fast jet QFI to do a PPL navigation exam is an amusing thought!
Ah except that now a crosswind is a significant thing when you're only going 90kt not 420kt

sharpend
17th Jun 2022, 16:21
Thanks guys, So far done exercises 1 - 5 without difficulty... Will enjoy everything, but not so confident about the hovering bit...

gipsymagpie
17th Jun 2022, 16:35
Start with a big field...

Ascend Charlie
17th Jun 2022, 22:45
not so confident about the hovering bit...

It's all in controlling the attitude - keep it flat.

Make it point (absolutely important. you cannot hover if you don't control the direction)
Keep it flat (with small fingertip movements) . When the qfi shows you the correct hover attitude, remember where it crosses the window in front of you.
Then fix the height. You will never hit the ground, because you will flinch away from it with a big collective movement, and the secondary effects of that will f*** you up for a few seconds.

The fixed-wing pilots converting across generally can do the upper air work straight away, using attitude for airspeed, but forget to just keep the attitude steady when they are in the hover - fixating on a blade of grass. Now using attitude for groundspeed, of zero. In an R22, one demo for the students is to have one foot on the pedal, left hand in the air, and one fingertip on the top of the cyclic. Not much effort needed to make it work.

Sir Korsky
18th Jun 2022, 21:26
seriously, they can train monkeys to hover. Just takes time and money. If you can drive a car you can fly a helicopter.

Ascend Charlie
18th Jun 2022, 22:57
We all converted from jets to Hueys and went solo in 11 hours, it only takes a bit of dedication to the study and listening to the instructor.