PDA

View Full Version : tailwheel differences trg in Hants/Wilts

gijoe
26th Aug 2002, 12:54
Gijoe fanices trying a taildragger out for size - something along the lines of a Cub/Supercub.

Can anyone suggest a good place to do the differences training in Hampshire, Wiltshire, or local to either?

Many thanks

G
:cool:

Genghis the Engineer
27th Aug 2002, 06:25
Try Western air at Thruxton, they have a very nice super-cub (PA18-150) and several very good and experienced tailwheel instructors. Rates aren't too bad either.

G (but not necessarily the same G)

Potter1
27th Aug 2002, 06:59
Last weekend I completed a tail wheel conversion at Old Sarum.

Had a fantastic time, relaxed paced training, choice of three different tail wheel aircraft Super cub, Citabria, C152 Taildragger.

Highly recommended…

P…....:)

gijoe
28th Aug 2002, 12:47
Thanks G and Potter1

What are the rates at Old Sarum like ?

G

Potter1
28th Aug 2002, 13:08
I paid £575 for 5 hours, I think it's the same for all three aircraft.

Their number is 01722 322525

P....

gijoe
28th Aug 2002, 21:57
Potter,

Was the Old Sarum course a case of you will do 5 hours or that you needed 5 hours to get the hang of it ? The reason that I ask is that a couple of people that I know say that they were signed up as having done differences training after 1 hour !! I flew Chipmunks many moons ago and have done some SLMG,TMG hours.

Mrs GiJoe thinks £575 - ( 100 x reduced no of hours to pass) = more shopping money...and, hence, the question.

G :rolleyes:

Genghis the Engineer
28th Aug 2002, 22:25
I did mine in 1:20 with Bob Cole at Thruxton in a PA18-150. Okay, I did have a lot of hours on taildragger microlights, but flying with Bob is always good value, although he doesn't take prisoners! If you've passed, you know you were tested.

G

Potter1
29th Aug 2002, 07:08
If you’ve flow tail wheel aircraft before it may be just a case of being checked out on the club aircraft, and so 1 -> 2 hours may be ok.

For me, who’s never sat in a tail wheel aircraft before, I was quite happy to sign up for the standard 5-hour course.
0.5 hours ground handling & practice take offs, e.g. raising the tail before closing the throttle.
1.5 hours local, PLF’s, general handling etc,
3 hours in the circuit, normal approaches, flapless, learning side slipping, short field & cross wind techniques……

P….

FlyingForFun
29th Aug 2002, 08:23
I would recommend, if you're looking into tail-wheel conversions, that you check whether you will be taught wheel-landings.

I wasn't taught wheel-landings as part of my conversion. I was fortunate that, shortly afterwards, I decided to go to the US and hire from a school which wanted me to learn wheel-landings as part of the club checkout. It was only then that I realised how much I'd missed out on in my original instruction. There are certain wind conditions when a 3-point landing is simply out of the question, but a wheel-landing is perfectly safe. Plus the ability to do a wheel-landing will improve your overall ground handling. Not to mention the fact that they're a whole load of fun :D

Also, invest in a copy of "The Compleat Taildragger", but a guy whose name escapes me every time I post to recommend it! Excellent book.

FFF
-----------

gijoe
29th Aug 2002, 10:36
Thanks to all for the advice - Thruxton will probably be the winner !

G:cool:

stiknruda
29th Aug 2002, 12:56
Harvey Plourde wrote The Compleat Taildragger and I found it useful - still refer to it occasionally!

Having flown all 3 of the types that appear at OS, would suggest that you avoid the C150TT. It just seems the hardest one to become used to but probably ity all depends on what you regularly taildrag in.

AStik

Chuck Ellsworth
29th Aug 2002, 15:17
If you have not been taught wheel landings you have not been taught how to fly tail wheel airplanes.

The wheel landing is the most important landing to be proficient in.

When doing tailwheel conversions I have three distinct segments that I teach in the following order.

(1) High speed runs down the runway with the tail in the air until the student has complete control and can S turn down the runway safely. I do not let them fly until this is mastered.

(2) Wheel landings.

(3) Full stall, three point landings.

Cat Driver: