PDA

View Full Version : PPL with a nystagmus

toobiii
12th Jun 2022, 12:15
Hello!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I had a query.

I just had my eyes tested yesterday (I've had a nystagmus from birth) and got 6/7.5 in my left eye and 6/30 in my right eye. Opticians say correction wouldn't do anything (I've tried glasses before, they didn't).

I'd imagine this might cause the CAA/AME to declare me unfit for a medical, then leading to no PPL? Does anyone have any experience with an nystagmus/passing a class 2 medical (CAA) with poor eyes? Both my eyes together are fine, and my left eye is too I believe - but I doubt me saying "both eyes together are okay" would make a difference even if I could prove it in an eye exam, I guess both eyes have to work independently to the required standards? If that's not the case does anyone have any experience with flying with a nystagmus with an eye weaker than the other? Can they restrict the medical rather than outright refuse it? I'd prefer that - and if so - does anyone know what restriction that'd be?

Thank you!

Fl1ingfrog
12th Jun 2022, 19:29
Contact an AME for qualified advice because it is only that advice that matters. If the DVLA are content that you may drive without restriction then the LAPL/NPPL medical will likely be possible as an alternative to the Class 2. There are many private pilots, incidentally, who only have sight in one eye.

toobiii
12th Jun 2022, 20:06
Thank you! Yeah DVLA are happy with me with no restrictions, so hope Class 2 would be okay, I'll see what the AME says. Thanks!

MLKNWL
27th Jun 2022, 22:46
I hope you can successfully get your licences, Bro.