PDA

View Full Version : Intra cockpit read back

MD83FO
9th Jun 2022, 15:51
Any companies out there using Intra-cockpit ATC read-back before responding on the frecuency ?
a nasa study recommended it decades ago, not sure if it is still the case, this creates a delay in replying to ATC creating congestion.
Would like to know if you have anything written recommending against it.

ATC issues an instruction, the pilot flying repeats it in the cockpit, if the pilot monitor heard the same, he will reply to ATC, otherwise he will ask for confirmation.

Fursty Ferret
9th Jun 2022, 17:36
Not heard of this. Seems that it would take time and get irritating very quickly.

In general I read back what PF sets on the FCU if it's a heading or altitude / flight level. Sort of a halfway house, I guess?

pineteam
12th Jun 2022, 05:17
In our outfit, after the read back has been completed by the PM, the PF must confirm orally the pertinent instructions issued by ATC; Which in my opinion a great safety net especially to prevent altitude burst and taxi incursion.

ScepticalOptomist
12th Jun 2022, 06:13
In our outfit, after the read back has been completed by the PM, the PF must confirm orally the pertinent instructions issued by ATC; Which in my opinion a great safety net especially to prevent altitude burst and taxi incursion.

We used to call this good airmanship!!

ShyTorque
12th Jun 2022, 20:35
We used a system where the PNF made the radio calls but the PF set the altimeter, transponder code, next radio frequency etc as passed by ATC and listened to the PNF reading back. The PNF checks that the correct numbers have been set. This confirms that both pilots heard the same instructions and reduced the need for cross cockpit talk at busy times.

Check Airman
12th Jun 2022, 23:03
Any companies out there using Intra-cockpit ATC read-back before responding on the frecuency ?
a nasa study recommended it decades ago, not sure if it is still the case, this creates a delay in replying to ATC creating congestion.
Would like to know if you have anything written recommending against it.

ATC issues an instruction, the pilot flying repeats it in the cockpit, if the pilot monitor heard the same, he will reply to ATC, otherwise he will ask for confirmation.

Never heard of any company doing that. Sounds like one of those things that could be good idea on paper, but would fail terribly in the real world. If the study was done decades ago, today's busier airspace may actually cause this to decrease safety rather than increase it.

Boeingdriver999
13th Jun 2022, 00:11
In our lot:

ATC: Issues clearance
PM: Reads back on VHF 1
PM: Reads back again to PF
PF: Reads back to PM
PF: Sets the FCU

It gets real fun when PF spots an error early on in a lengthy clearance and the feedback loop becomes exponentially larger and larger. It's like the Larsen effect with speakers and microphones... :rolleyes: