PDA

View Full Version : Change of use from agricultural to *personal* airstrip

sportflying
27th May 2022, 08:20
If you have experience in UK planning and the creation of a new grass airstrip, could I ask for your knowledge, please? I'm not interested in opinion, instead I am looking for case studies.

I'm considering buying a field (in the UK) to use as my own private airstrip. It's currently just a field and is for sale with a particularly severe 50% for 50yr overage clause. I am aware of 28 day, temporary buildings etc, no need to go there. I would want to put up a steel building and, again, I'm not asking for advice on that, the land meets certain conditions that permits the erection of an agricultural building.

My plan is: I put up this agricultural building which will house my tractor etc. and I apply for planning permission - personal to me - to put my plane in that building. I also roll and mow a nice strip of grass on about 35% of the land. Tidy.

My questions: does that constitute development, does it increase the value of the land and therefore would it trigger the overage clause? My argument would be that, if I sold the land, there would be an agricultural building and some grass with no agreement for anyone else to use it as an airstrip so it has not been developed. That said, after 10yrs, I could possibly apply for a CLEUD and then I would have to deal with the overage and any perceived increase in value. Again, what would the increase in value be?

If you know of a similar situation, please be so kind as to point me to it. Thank you. I am also talking to the local planning office but they have no experience of this so have asked me to research!

Fl1ingfrog
27th May 2022, 10:05
Your onto a hiding to nothing to do anything other than operate the 28 day rule. Bagby near Thirsk will be helpful to research. I do not know of any applications to establish a new airfield that are not met with fierce opposition. Authorities bend to this. It really can get vicious with claims that its the first step to a major international airport.

My advice is to keep to the 28 day rule, build a barn not a hangar and keep your aeroplane in the barn along with the tractor. No one is going to perch themselves at the end of your runway counting the days you fly. I have countless farming friends who do this and have done for decades with few problems. If you can arrange the runway to avoid overflying homes and others property all the better. Treat the local children and their parents for a ride to see their house, village and school from the air from time to time. Always operate with consideration to the local peace and privacy. Do this and then your unlikely to wind up the anti and have a hassle free life.

Pilot DAR
27th May 2022, 10:28
The rules local to me are different, so I can't comment on UK rules. That said, I built my own aerodrome 33 years ago, and found great community harmony with:

Treat the local children and their parents for a ride to see their house, village and school from the air from time to time. Always operate with consideration to the local peace and privacy

I flew as needed to help local farmers find lost cattle, and served my local fire department with the plane probably at least monthly for decades, and still do, when called. I never asked for any payment whatever. I allowed my plane to be seen as a community asset, and it was always well received. I am not aware of any complaint ever about operations from my aerodrome - other than my complaining to other pilots to not buzz my runway!

Fl1ingfrog
27th May 2022, 11:01
sportflying, join AOPA because they have a an extensive expertise on the establishment and operation of private strips. They have on the team a number of people with the expertise you require. From them you will get the best advice on your plans.

Maoraigh1
27th May 2022, 20:57
Your profile location is UK. England? I know of 2 new airfields in Scotland, Highland, getting planning permission in this millennium. I think there's at least another in another Local Authority. The laws and planning rules are different Scotland. Wales and Northern Ireland are also likely to differ from England.
The Local Authorities may differ in their attitude. An application to build a hangar got the response that an "Aircraft Storage Shed" would be easier to get permission for. It was built.