PDA

View Full Version : Pilots salary 1992

arthur harbrow
23rd May 2022, 10:58
Could any ex captains/first officers give me a rough estimate of a pilots salary for 1992.
I realise there would be variations but the figures i am looking for are from a small operator, Suckling Airways say to British Airways and anything in between.
This is for a school project for my grandson.Thank you in advance.

rudestuff
23rd May 2022, 12:06
Just take whatever they're on now - and add a bit.

Yellow Sun
23rd May 2022, 19:30
BALPA used to publish comparative salary tables; maybe they still do. It's possible that they have some archived information although I wouldn't bank on it. Drop them a line.

YS

tubby linton
23rd May 2022, 20:28
In 1989 the turboprop operators such as Channel Express were paying 15k and charter airlines such as Monarch were paying 24k for a junior FO. It didn’t go up much from that . Monarch had annual increments of a few hundred pounds and then adjusted for inflation.

draglift
24th May 2022, 17:17
In 1992 I used to take home about £1,500 a month as a first officer on a wide bodied long haul airliner for a certain well known company. My girlfriend was a stewardess for the same company and frequently took home more than I did although her basic was much less. Allowances made up a substantial part of a stewardess's salary and certain routes, ie Tokyo had substantial allowances.

lsd
24th May 2022, 20:03
North Sea S61 captain based in Aberdeen made £41k pa with British International Helicopters (formerly British Airways Helicopters)

Union Jack
24th May 2022, 21:20
BALPA used to publish comparative salary tables; maybe they still do. It's possible that they have some archived information although I wouldn't bank on it. Drop them a line.

YS
At the risk of seeming old-fashioned, may I politely suggest that, since it is the OP's grandson's school project, then surely the grandson should be doing the homework and writing any letters himself.:D

Jack

arthur harbrow
25th May 2022, 10:37
Thanks for all your answers, most kind.

Jack, well, i could suggest that to him, but i am not sure he has actually written a letter in his life time.
He asked me if i could find out some information as he knows i like aviation, in fact he finds it very amusing that now i am retired i spend a couple of days a week at airports photographing aircraft.
Daniel thinks my time would be better spent on minecraft? and fifa?.

Herod
25th May 2022, 14:13
Arthur; I am also old-fashioned and have to agree with Union Jack. I don't know how old your grandson is, but at some stage he needs to learn that literacy is a useful skill.

staircase
25th May 2022, 15:15
Arthur, check your PM's.