PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training in Canada

BiiG DaaN
18th May 2022, 13:27
Hi guys, I am a Nigerian citizen working towards going to flight school. I've considered various options in various countries and recently stumbled upon several schools in Canada, one of which is the Academy of Aeronautics.

On the international page of their site, they mention that they can assist with getting a work permit after the conclusion of training.

How realistic are expectations to actually get this work permit and perhaps a residency afterwards? Should I be wary of this offer, is it too good to be true? While I'm not averse to flying in my country, I love the Canadian environment and the unique challenges it offers.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

PS: I'd really appreciate all suggestions of funding options for international students.

+TSRA
21st May 2022, 15:41
I would direct your questions to the school and that up with the information here: Immigration and Citizenship (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html). I'd even call IC. A quick read-through of the linked site shows the work permit would be, at most, 2 to 3 years. Given such a short timeline, I'd suggest you make sure you meet the residency requirements before doing anything (available through the Immigration and Citizenship website). If you want to work in Canada, I'd also look at any restrictions that you might have about travelling to the United States for training or work. I've heard of a few cases over the years where a pilot is hired only to find they cannot fly into the US. It's not a major issue during ab initio flight training, but it becomes a much more difficult proposition the further into your career you go. Many companies conduct their flight or simulator training in the United States, and many charter airlines and up to a regional and mainline airline will see at least some flying into the US, so consider it a must to check out that there are no restrictions from Nigeria to the US.

I'll let someone else touch on funding - but ask the school if they have anything set up with a local bank.

BiiG DaaN
21st May 2022, 20:42
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The link you provided is quite useful and I will be revisiting it often. I am already in contact with the school, asking questions and getting clarifications. What you stated about travel to the US is surely another concern. I intend to work on getting approval to enter legally for training and flying purposes. However, I also plan to keep my options open. If by the end of the program, I still haven't gotten that part sorted out, I would have my eyes on other areas where I could work legally.