PDA

View Full Version : Qantas A380 VH-OQF/VH-OQE to be scrapped

vhtae
17th May 2022, 08:43
According to a source VH-OQF commenced parting out at Victorville today with VH-OQE planned for next month.

Capt Fathom
17th May 2022, 08:57
Nice source of parts for the remaining fleet. However Qantas will no doubt sell the parts and managers will get a bonus.

Fris B. Fairing
17th May 2022, 22:54
So Lawrence Hargrave and Smithy draw the short straw.

morno
18th May 2022, 00:39
I would have thought OQA would have been scrapped, or did that year long repair save the hours and cycles so much that it’s actually “younger” than the others?

vhtae
18th May 2022, 01:21
I would have thought OQA would have been scrapped, or did that year long repair save the hours and cycles so much that it’s actually “younger” than the others?

It seems that’s the case with OQA. OQE and OQF were apparently the only two that didn’t have a landing gear replacement after 12 years. So clearly a cost issue.

mustafagander
18th May 2022, 11:43
Wasn't OQA one of the heavy airframes that Airbus built? If so a good candidate for scrapping coz of the lower payload and higher specific fuel consumption.

Fris B. Fairing
18th May 2022, 20:12
Wasn't OQA one of the heavy airframes that Airbus built? If so a good candidate for scrapping coz of the lower payload and higher specific fuel consumption.

You can't scrap Nancy!

Less Hair
18th May 2022, 20:27
How many flight hours and cycles do they have accumulated? These must still be pretty young aircraft? So they break up early unmodified ones and keep the later builds flying?

extralite
10th Jun 2022, 04:14
How many flight hours and cycles do they have accumulated? These must still be pretty young aircraft? So they break up early unmodified ones and keep the later builds flying?

What a pity to lose the A380's from a pax standpoint anyway. Just got back from a QF flight, operated by Emirates operating an A380 Brisbane-Dubai which was full both ways in J class. They just seem so much roomier than the 777's on to Europe. Emirates have a great product overall by the way. Glad QF is using them rather than doing it themselves. Brisbane airport also good with more Border Force at the terminals than Sydney had a few months ago. Minimum wait.

Heard that one of the reasons behind the downfall of the 380 ( I know there are a few) is that Boeing lobbied American airports to not upgrade to accept it. However Google says that there are 16 USA airports that can handle the A380 so not sure of that. Def best aircraft for pax in my opinion.

Australopithecus
10th Jun 2022, 11:03
Yes it is the best from a pax point of view, by far. The opposite is true from an operator’s perspective however. That aircraft with less than half life used are being scrapped should tell you just how popular it is with operators.

vhtae
11th Jun 2022, 07:37
VH-OQF two days ago…

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/751x1001/9b3459f7_259a_4d3e_af98_1570dbe0e047_1155db46a1c46975a7093bd 90576bc8df750cef7.jpeg

Mach1Muppet
11th Jun 2022, 12:05
Surely OQA will suffer a similar early retirement like OJH did after its accident?

vhtae
11th Jun 2022, 13:20
Surely OQA will suffer a similar early retirement like OJH did after its accident?

VH-OQA is currently being prepared for return over the next few weeks. OQF and OQE are the only two getting scrapped for parts.

HK144
12th Jun 2022, 01:19

Why? Lets not forget the historical significance of OQA, when retirement finally comes, it would be a worthy aircraft for long-term display. Additionally, evidence presented on other sites would suggest that the cost of operating a heavy OQA outways the cost of upgrading OQF and OQE.

Mach1Muppet
12th Jun 2022, 07:50
Why? Lets not forget the historical significance of OQA, when retirement finally comes, it would be a worthy aircraft for long-term display. Additionally, evidence presented on other sites would suggest that the cost of operating a heavy OQA outways the cost of upgrading OQF and OQE.
Nah definitely a good call, my guess was history would repeat itself like it did when OJH was repaired after the overrun, but more including;
>Its a first wave aircraft and weighs 1000kg more
>The first few aircraft to be released after the modifications weighed 3 ton more than those who haven't (more bums in seats)

I guess you're right in OQA's significance, the big question now, where would it be displayed!

Edit: Yeah forgot about OQF had a jacking incident and now carries a penalty, didn't think of that!