PDA

View Full Version : Q6: Throttle(s) or gear switch??

GoneWest
26th Aug 2002, 01:01
Take the average light, piston powered aircraft - any one you like (single or twin, don't care) - provided it is a retractable, with constant speed prop.

Nicely lined up at the end of the runway - T's & P's all good - open the throttle(s) - accelerate - rotate - "gear up".

Question!! What happens to the right hand (assuming flight from the left seat) during undercarriage retraction.??

Some examiners I know say "Aircraft low and slow - hand on throttle(s) in case of engine failure - instant retard for landing/feathering" - other examiners I know insist on "Hand holding undercarriage selector switch until 'gear unsafe/in transit' light extinguished".

Comments for and against??

eyeinthesky
27th Aug 2002, 12:57
Firstly, your sequence of events should probably read:

'Nicely lined up at the end of the runway - T's & P's all good - open the throttle(s) - accelerate - rotate - positive rate of climb - insufficient runway remaining for a land back on - "gear up".'

The time taken to flick to the gear switch and raise it and return your hand to the throttle will I suggest be far less than that required for you to recognise an engine failure and respond to it with your hand fixed to the throttle. If you do then experience engine failure at least you will (in a twin) have already removed one drag-inducing factor and improved your single-engined climb out performance.

In a single, then the point at which you raise the gear is subject to much discussion. Broadly it falls into two camps:

1) Get the gear up ASAP once past the 'land back on' point to improve your climb performance and give you maximum height in case you need to perform a PFL

2) Leave the gear down until at a safe height in case you get a sudden engine failure and don't have time to get the gear down again.

You pays your money and you takes your choice on that one.

'Hand on the gear switch until retraction complete.' Why? The retraction sequence is automatic and holding the lever will not prevent a failure of the system if it is going to happen. Indeed, I would have thought that holding that lever with an unsupported arm at almost full stretch in possible low level turbulence just after lift off will make you more likely accidentally to nudge the lever out of its 'UP' position, albeit momentarily, and this might cause a mess-up of the retraction sequence. Far better to activate the level and then return your hand to the throttles and then sort out a failure afterwards if necessary.

GoneWest
29th Aug 2002, 01:38
The argument that I have heard in favour of leaving hand on the gear switch that - when you let go of the switch it is a confirmation that retraction or deployment is complete.