PDA

View Full Version : Vor

tomahawk1673
25th Aug 2002, 21:48
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I did VOR navigation. I remember how to do it (I think!?), but my instructor taught me the following way to remember the process in tracking a VOR:

T-I-T-S

I don't mean to be rude,but it's a really easy way to remember it...if only I could :)

I remember the first two: TUNE - IDENT, but the other two are a mystery. I think the last is SELECT the appropriate radial on the using the OBS, but what's the second T? I presume it's something to do with the TO/FROM/WARNING flag??

Thanks in advance.

BEagle
25th Aug 2002, 22:24
Tune
Ident
Track
Switchery

Chuck Ellsworth
25th Aug 2002, 23:25
Pardon me for sounding dumb, but what is "switchery" ?

Cat Driver

Cusco
25th Aug 2002, 23:33
IIRC its Tune
Ident
Test
Sense

Happy flying

Circuit Basher
26th Aug 2002, 07:33
During my IMC training, I was always taught 'SID'
S Select - tune in correct frequency
I Identify - listen to Morse ident
D Deflect - rotate sub-scale through 360 deg to check for correct sense / false peaks / mechanical operation of intrument

The first suggestion sounds much more fun!! ;) ;)

AerBabe
26th Aug 2002, 09:39
And another version of SID
Select, Identify, Display
Knowing my instructor, I can't understand why he didn't go for TITS though (if you pardon the pun) :D

You're not the only one Chuck ... what is 'Switchery'?! :confused:

tomahawk1673
26th Aug 2002, 19:16
Thanks for the response guys...

What are "sense" and "switchery" BTW?

Keef
26th Aug 2002, 19:47
Yep, when I did my IMC and then the (FAA) IR, it was
Select
Identify
Display

THEN you look to see if what it says makes sense. Happily, with VORs, it usually does. ADF, now, ...

There are some much longer ones for IFR flying, based on what you do when flying the procedure, and they include "The Trusty 5 Ts" but that's a bit more involved.

rustle
26th Aug 2002, 19:55
Keef, ditto the CAA IR.

But I'm still intrigued by T.I.T.S. and switchery ;)

Tinker
26th Aug 2002, 22:57
I am aware of SID and TITT/TIT but not TITS are you sure it's not your mind playing tricks :D

As far as I am concerned it's Tune Identify Twist (Track), although most blokes prefer their TITS in pairs, except of course for those who support the conservatives who prefer a cabinet full :p

englishal
27th Aug 2002, 07:59
As a quick cross check...make sure the VOR radial subscale is roughly the same as your compass or HI, this will ensure you have the sense correctly set (ie. TO / FROM).....Sounds obvious, but I have got it wrong in the past.....

If you are tracking TO a VOR, heading 270°, you may think you want to track inbound on the 090R (which you do), but to get the correct sense the VOR scale needs to be set to 270° and not 090°. If you are under pressure (ie. in IMC, turbulent etc), you may set 090° on the VOR and of course you will then need to "be the needle";)

Cheers
EA:)

skydriller
27th Aug 2002, 13:43
Well, Im a great fan of TITS........ Sorry , just seen this and couldnt help replying:p

Seriously though, I learnt Tune, Identify, Test, Sense.

Regards, SD.

LPL
27th Aug 2002, 18:25
Does that mean in a well equiped aircraft with dual nav comms, you are free to play with a pair of TITS

:p