PDA

View Full Version : "Red Bull" pilots swap aircraft in mid flight demonstration.

Petropavlovsk
25th Apr 2022, 06:11
Incident Cessna 182G Skylane N3694U, 24 Apr 2022 (aviation-safety.net) (https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/277638)

Red Bull pilots demonstrate mid air pilot change over......

Runaway Gun
25th Apr 2022, 08:05
A few empty cans of red bull might supply enough aluminium for repairs.

UnderneathTheRadar
25th Apr 2022, 11:01
AvWeek reporting that the FAA declined permission for the flights to temporarily have nobody at the controls - and they went ahead anyway…

Wizofoz
25th Apr 2022, 12:51
Interesting to watch. The one that departed went beyond vertical and went into an inverted spin- maybe in the excitement he pushed a bit too hard?

The Banjo
25th Apr 2022, 13:47
Brought to you by the same halfwits that caused the world wide grounding of the blanik glider fleet.

ShyTorque
25th Apr 2022, 14:23
Interesting to watch. The one that departed went beyond vertical and went into an inverted spin- maybe in the excitement he pushed a bit too hard?

Perhaps with no-one up front it was outside the fore/aft C of G limits, which would make it more prone to unusual spin characteristics.

I've mentioned here before that I've been in an inverted spin in a C152 - it had two of us up front but it had been poorly rigged.

Jetstream67
25th Apr 2022, 20:06
Several low cost carriers looking at this for faster crew turn arounds . . :)

Wizofoz
25th Apr 2022, 22:08
Perhaps with no-one up front it was outside the fore/aft C of G limits, which would make it more prone to unusual spin characteristics.

I've mentioned here before that I've been in an inverted spin in a C152 - it had two of us up front but it had been poorly rigged.

Interestibg thought- one thing they wouldn't have tested was the dive with no-one on board!!

EXDAC
25th Apr 2022, 22:08
Anyone know why this attempt used a speed brake when there have been several successful skydiver entries of aircraft in near vertical descents slowed by a chute?

The only difference I see is that the pilot left the aircraft. Chute is stabilizing in pitch and yaw and the autopilot would only need to zero the roll rate. Clearly the autopilot did a poor job of stabilizing one of the aircraft in both pitch and yaw in this failed attempt.

tossbag
26th Apr 2022, 00:12
Interesting thought- one thing they wouldn't have tested was the dive with no-one on board!!

Anyone know why this attempt used a speed brake when there have been several successful skydiver entries of aircraft in near vertical descents slowed by a chute?

Maybe the speed brake thingy was an attempt to stabilise the spin tendency with no one on board??

Tarq57
26th Apr 2022, 00:46

The only difference I see is that the pilot left the aircraft. Chute is stabilizing in pitch and yaw and the autopilot would only need to zero the roll rate. Clearly the autopilot did a poor job of stabilizing one of the aircraft in both pitch and yaw in this failed attempt.
I would imagine that its because the speed of an aeroplane diving near-vertically (without such things as beta prop pitch) would easily exceed the free fall speed of a skydiver.

EXDAC
26th Apr 2022, 01:07
I would imagine that its because the speed of an aeroplane diving near-vertically (without such things as beta prop pitch) would easily exceed the free fall speed of a skydiver.

I can only assume you have not looked at videos of the other skydiver entries to aircraft in descent. All previous successful attempts have used a drogue chute to control the rate of descent of the target aircraft in a near vertical dive.

fitliker
12th May 2022, 17:43
https://thehill.com/news/3486186-faa-revokes-licenses-of-pilots-in-failed-red-bull-plane-swap/The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said Thursday that it has revoked the licenses of the two pilots involved in the unauthorized Red Bull plane swap stunt that took place in April in Arizona.

The pilots tried to swap planes while descending. One pilot landed without injuries after being forced to jump and parachute to the ground after one of the Cessna 182s spun out of control.

The other pilot regained control of the second aircraft and landed, the agency told The Hill last month (https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/aviation/3462465-faa-investigating-red-bull-plane-swap-attempt-that-ended-in-crash/).

Tango and Cash
12th May 2022, 18:47
A good first step...

fox niner
13th May 2022, 07:33
They should contact Trevor Jacob, whose license was revoked as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSETYutbcbI&t=3s