PDA

View Full Version : Cleared for the option!!

28thJuly2001
25th Aug 2002, 16:16
I have been listening to John Wayne tower for about a hour today (yes, nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon) and a few times I heard the phrase "cleared for the option". I have been a PPL for a year now and have never heard it before in the UK, is it one of those lovely American sayings or should I be aware of it in case I am "cleared for the option"
Walt,,

bookworm
25th Aug 2002, 16:46
It's not used in the UK. It means "cleared to land or touch-and-go".

StrateandLevel
25th Aug 2002, 18:05
It is used by the UK Military.

mattpilot
25th Aug 2002, 18:12
it basicly means you can do anything you want... within limits.

You can do normal landing, go around, touch and go, short approach, emergency practice (basicly short approach), anything that comes to mind :)

FWA NATCA
26th Aug 2002, 02:24
Cleared for the Option is only used by Towers and means that you (the pilot) can do the following:

1. A touch and go
2. A stop and go
3. A full stop landing and clear the runway
4. A low approach

This instuction is usually used for acft that are in the local traffic pattern and is given to permit the pilot more options to help facilitate training.

Mike R
FWA

niknak
26th Aug 2002, 10:59
As a fully subscribed member of the "stand up, speak up, shut up" R/T society, it's one of the few "non - standard" phrases I'd like to see introduced into UK civil R/T.
We know what it means, most instructors know what it means, pilots will soon learn what it means, and it covers 4 words instead of 19.;)

stiknruda
26th Aug 2002, 21:55
First heard it when I took a Pitts into College Station, Tx. Was delivering the aeroplane from Az to S Carolina.

The previous aircraft had the same "latitude" and it was T38 Talon which did a go-around. Very impressive climb rate......so I resisted the impulse to run and break and called finals for full stop!

I'd would quite like it to be used here, too.

Stik

On Track
26th Aug 2002, 23:17
I've heard it used a few times at GA airports in Australia, but am not keen on it. It gives the impression that the controllers can't keep up with what everyone in the circuit is doing.

I always make my intentions obvious by acknowledging "cleared to land" or "cleared touch and go" as the case may be.

I've heard others acknowledge "cleared the option" which, in my opinion, is not very informative.

I don't think a busy circuit is a good place to have doubts about the intentions of other pilots.

mattpilot
26th Aug 2002, 23:40
when your not #1 to land, you never, or rarely (only if aircraft is over the numbers) get a "cleared for the option". That would be just to dangerous.

Though it is not required, here at my field most pilots always readback their intentions, after receiving a "cleared for the option".

It basicly saves radio time. Instead of the controller asking, "What are your intentions?" and thus engaging in a lengthy dialog, he can say "Cleared for the option", or give a more specific instruction.

On Track
27th Aug 2002, 06:52
This thread is probably starting to show up different procedures in different countries...

In Australia at the six major GA airports (which are called GAAPs) in the state capital cities, the pilot is required to report when joining downwind and state his intentions at that time - full stop, touch and go, stop and go, whatever. Only takes two seconds to do it right.

If there are only a few aircraft in the circuit it's easy to keep tabs on what the guy in front of you is intending to do. It's harder when the traffic is heavy, and in those circumstances I just appreciate being able to have any doubts removed by hearing an unambiguous clearance from the tower and readback from the preceding traffic.

englishal
27th Aug 2002, 07:33
It gives the impression that the controllers can't keep up with what everyone in the circuit is doing.
Whats the problem...the way I see it is if you are "cleared for the option" then the controller has spare capacity and is not over worked. I would say that when cleared for the option, it is safer as the controller may expect you to either full stop, touch and go, or go around. If you are cleared to land but end up going around you may take the controller by surprise.

I can't see a problem with being cleared for the option not being no.1 (and have been many times). If the guy in front is landing, then you will not land / t&g until he's vacated the runway anyway, if you are intending to make a touch and go, but mess it up and make a full stop landing, the guy behind can't land till you're out of the way anyway.....same as always, good airmanship.

Cheers
EA:)

Whipping Boy's SATCO
27th Aug 2002, 08:15
A couple of points,

strateandlevel, it is not a commonly used (or widely approved) phrase in the UK military however there are some units who have local orders allowing the phrase.

Whilst I personally think it is a very useful phrase (after all does it really matter to anyone else whether the aircraft does a low approach or a touch and go), I would be very wary about using it for a 'stop/go' as indicated by FWA NATCA. The problem with this is that you don't know when the aircraft is going to commence his take-off roll.

On Track
28th Aug 2002, 07:05
OK, my final word on this subject...

Irrespective of what the controller may say in his clearance, I believe it's good airmanship for the pilot to make his intentions known in his acknowledgement.

Sure, in the end, he may have to do something different because all sorts of situations can necessitate a go-around.

Final 3 Greens
28th Aug 2002, 07:17
This takes me back a few years ..... "cherokee 344 cleared for the option, sidestep to the right, don't fly over the lawyers houses on the climb out."

As Churchill said, two nations divided by a common language. :D

Just_Another_PPL
28th Aug 2002, 10:51
As Churchill said, two nations divided by a common language.

Well it wasnt Churchill who said it first, it was General Patton

englishal
28th Aug 2002, 10:56
One slightly confusing clearance is when you're "cleared to takeoff cleared to land" when you're sitting on the runway. By the time you've got round the circuit, you're thinking to yourself "did he clear me to land?":)

I agree its good airmanship to tell the controller what you're doing. If I'm cleared for the option but decide I want to make a full stop, I'll tell the controller and he / she'll then issue a 'cleared to land'...

cheers
EA:)

Final 3 Greens
28th Aug 2002, 14:10
Just_Another_PPL

I never said that Churchill said it first! ;)