PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Application 2022

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MostAnnoying
23rd Mar 2022, 12:46
Hey all,

recently received an invitation for the assessment process for NTR B777 for Emirates. Initially applied at ‘Expression of Interest’ and within 12 hours received an invitation for the online assessment.

Have done the first part and “successfully through to the next round” which is apparently Psychometric testing online as well.

anyone that has done this already?

kind regards,

M.A.

A320251N
23rd Mar 2022, 16:01
Hi...

Could you please share what you were flying and your qualifications ?

I've applied with them but heard nothing so far.

A320 Capt... +8000hs (B737, A320)... +1500 PIC on the A320.

MostAnnoying
23rd Mar 2022, 18:05
Hi...

Could you please share what you were flying and your qualifications ?

I've applied with them but heard nothing so far.

A320 Capt... +8000hs (B737, A320)... +1500 PIC on the A320.

Hi,

I am rated on the 737 with just over 2300TT

Donny Haryono
24th Mar 2022, 11:15
Hey all,

recently received an invitation for the assessment process for NTR B777 for Emirates. Initially applied at ‘Expression of Interest’ and within 12 hours received an invitation for the online assessment.

Have done the first part and “successfully through to the next round” which is apparently Psychometric testing online as well.

kind regards,

M.A.

may i know when did you submit your registration form? Been submit since nov 2021, never heard any news since then

Latestormer
24th Mar 2022, 13:58
Hey all,

kind regards,

M.A.

Happy for you, mate! Would you remember when you applied?

My status shows "shortlisted" for a few months now...

MostAnnoying
24th Mar 2022, 15:35
may i know when did you submit your registration form? Been submit since nov 2021, never heard any news since then

last Sunday 😬

cefey
28th Mar 2022, 11:29
Applied a month ago and got a response to submit some papers/cont. A320 2000+ on type.

hairpin
29th Mar 2022, 14:39
DO NOT GO WORK FOR THIS AIRLINE. I have been in the industry for 40 years, 15+ working for EK. It will kill you. I've had good and bad jobs but EK is the worst management by far! You've been warned. Stay away. Far away.

MostAnnoying
29th Mar 2022, 16:12
DO NOT GO WORK FOR THIS AIRLINE. I have been in the industry for 40 years, 15+ working for EK. It will kill you. I've had good and bad jobs but EK is the worst management by far! .

so how come you were there for over 1/3 of your career?

hairpin
29th Mar 2022, 23:08
I joined after 9/11. Jobs were scarce and EK was a good job. From the day I joined, EVERY change implemented by management was for the worse for the pilots. I saw hundreds if not thousands of "Ryanair" type pilots join with wide eyes at all the big shiny jets. I left before the rostering killed me, with my head held high. It's been 4 years since I left thinking EK couldn't get any worse. I was wrong. My colleagues who are still there assure me it has in fact got worse. So all you wanna bees.....that's why I spent 15 years there and left. Stay away. Far away.

Egonline
30th Mar 2022, 05:50

Exactly...

flyTheBigFatLady
30th Mar 2022, 06:07

lots of people stay longer than they actually want because
the network you fly is great, the money is good but the management sucks. And last but not least the addiction to the lifestyle.
you can afford a car which you would not have at home, you will useless toys.
getting out there is less easy than getting in, because you won’t easily find a job which pays you anywhere near that lifestyle and/or retirement plan. But that comes with a huge price tag - your health, mental strength, your family and your connection to home.

all changes to the none existent contract where is disfavor to the pilots. Pre covid, due to lack in man power Pilots flew 100-120 block hours a month all over the world, day and night, 24/7.
nearly nobody received his full number of vacation days. Everybody is constant monitoring for sick days and lots of other stuff.

the man power problem is now even worse than before and it’s not going to change as the AAR and Co. want to tight up slavery since their is only one management focus on record profits without any human factor involved

there was a time where EK was a reasonable good company but that is many moons ago.

If you think you have done quite a good research into what you are getting, consider yourself as being wrong. There is no way to find out the fact unless you speak to people who have been there. There have more people left over time than stay, for exact those reasons.

n1hdgToga
30th Mar 2022, 06:28
Warning is coming from well minded people with general best Interest. But what our ek colleagues do not understand is, while in 15 years they saw things getting worse in EK, it wasnt any better anywhere else, if anything, it got worse faster everywhere else. People around the world were doing 100+ hrs without any leave, half the dignity and even less than half the pay of EK. So, if the doors open, people will line up.

Kennytheking
30th Mar 2022, 07:47
because you won’t easily find a job which pays you anywhere near that lifestyle and/or retirement plan.

I was going to write a long post challenging much of what you said but I realized that you summed it all up nicely with this sentence.

Fired600
30th Mar 2022, 09:20
Not to forget that they will throw you out at the whim of a bean counter. It’s happened before and will do again.

How many other airlines treated their staff this way? Did they even approach the ones they let go to offer them their job back? Their solution was to hire new cheaper pilots and promote FOs because its cheaper…. No respect or loyalty, and if you believe they wont do it to you, you are deluded.

Kennytheking
30th Mar 2022, 10:31
Not to forget that they will throw you out at the whim of a bean counter. It’s happened before and will do again.
In 35 years they retrenched pilots once - because of a worldwide pandemic. Lets not act like it is a daily event. Ask your american mates how many times they have been furloughed.

How many other airlines treated their staff this way?
I don't have numbers but I suspect that Emirates wasn't the only airline letting staff go.

Did they even approach the ones they let go to offer them their job back?
Yes

Their solution was to hire new cheaper pilots and promote FOs because its cheaper
Erm....no. F/O's that were on upgrade when the pandemic hit can look towards the end of the year for upgrade. The first external candidates are currently being interviewed with a prospective start date of October. Until then they are aggressively getting the redundant pilots back. Redundant pilots are returning on the same payscale they left on, so not a single cheaper pilot has been hired.(Caveat, I don't really know what is going on with the Boeing fleet - I talk for Airbus only).

By all means express your frustration with the company here, but try and stick to the facts.
Time to lose the concept of loyalty - there is no such thing. I work here for the money. If the money stops I will be on the first plane home(and the loyal ones can work for free). I don't expect them to show me any loyalty - I expect them to pay me my salary.

T54A
30th Mar 2022, 12:55

How many other airlines treated their staff this way? Did they even approach the ones they let go to offer them their job back? Their solution was to hire new cheaper pilots and promote FOs because its cheaper…. No respect or loyalty, and if you believe they wont do it to you, you are deluded.

Many many airlines all over the world. Strange question

flyTheBigFatLady
30th Mar 2022, 13:17

many airlines have not furloughed pilots in the amount like EK. EK was the first in masses, with the most unstructured reasons behind and the most blunt in doing it.

flyTheBigFatLady
30th Mar 2022, 13:28
EK has not called back any FO who where short of an upgrade by now.
Preference is given to locals and all those who survived the Desaster as they are now moved up the seniority list by a 1000.
Currently their is no statement of how much your being short of upgrade and the hours come with it will count for a future upgrade.

even low hour capt, returning as FO is listed behind all others.

So if you had your letter for upgrade, and you are not called by now, you are just about to start all over for a min of another 5 years until you back to upgrade.
EK should have at least respect your career position on the call back, which they haven’t done yet and won’t do. Same for low hour capt, you have been promised you will get your command back in 6 to 12 month. I just can laugh if you believe that.
I remember when it was mandatory to be on the 340 to get on the 380 for the sack of a career and suddenly AAR decided that 330/340 pilots shall stay on that fleet and let anybody from a CRJ or A320 into the 380. All those guys got their upgrade before all the 330340 pilots because AAR decided also that a max 1000hours stick time will count for the 380. Technically spoken that was setting back to zero serving a few years in EK.
in 6-12 month some nice great full manager will have an idea that you have to do a full upgrade course with the interview and checking prior to get it back. And if you don’t reach a grading of 4.3 in you 2 OPCs until then they will delay you.

the point is simple you can’t trust EK on a promise, not even its written in a manual or contract.

5star
30th Mar 2022, 13:36
On the T7 side, no captain has been or will be recalled…We all had a random medical issue once in our career and were considered ´bad apples‘...
Don‘t miss anything. Just maybe the (mostly) nice colleagues and the car home after work.
So glad I‘m out actually. The one thing you‘ll never get in EK is Respect. Something I do get now.

ThrustAssymComp
30th Mar 2022, 14:16
Congrats. I applied months ago, heard nothing too.
737 4500hrs
777 600 hrs
but only cpl

Oldaircrew
30th Mar 2022, 14:24
Let’s not forget that they are mainly calling FOs back in a form of reverse seniority. Therefore, those who were junior and a little cheaper have been called back first, which puts them ahead on the seniority list when it’s time to upgrade. Long time FOs, although on a higher salary, are last in the queue and will be FOs to Captains who joined years after them. There’ll always be a final twist of the screw from this bunch. They learnt from the best.

Fired600
30th Mar 2022, 16:58
Those that did rehired the ones they let go and didn’t just throw them away like old trash.

Fired600
30th Mar 2022, 17:11
In 35 years they retrenched pilots once - because of a worldwide pandemic. Lets not act like it is a daily event. Ask your american mates how many times they have been furloughed.

So that’s OK then, lets forget it and the lives they ruined. It’s only once after all. We promise we won’t do it again.
Also lets not forget the multitude of contract changes over the last 15 years.
And as for my mates, those that were furloughed were furloughed in seniority order, not medical state or any other strange reason.

I don't have numbers but I suspect that Emirates wasn't the only airline letting staff go.

No many airlines did let pilots go but the vast vast majority, are in line to rejoin and in front of new hires in seniority order with T&C as when they left. Once again if I am wrong please let me know

Erm....no. F/O's that were on upgrade when the pandemic hit can look towards the end of the year for upgrade. The first external candidates are currently being interviewed with a prospective start date of October. Until then they are aggressively getting the redundant pilots back. Redundant pilots are returning on the same payscale they left on, so not a single cheaper pilot has been hired.(Caveat, I don't really know what is going on with the Boeing fleet - I talk for Airbus only).

So exactly how many of the hundreds of 777 pilots have they rehired? How many have they even tried to contact to rehire? How many FOs have they rehired and how many Capts.

Upgrading 777 FO’s now who fill the slots of the pilots they trashed and threw away, whilst hiring new FOs to fill the gaps at the bottom that are left. Tell me if that’s not exactly what’s happening and I will stand corrected.

By all means express your frustration with the company here, but try and stick to the facts.
I think I have :)

hairpin
30th Mar 2022, 17:26
So there you go. I'm glad the EK bashing has started again. The management there deserves every bit of it. Continuing to fly to Russia is another example of their mentality. Stay away. Far away

flyTheBigFatLady
30th Mar 2022, 17:33
Fact is the pre covid pay check does not matter, as all pilots who get to rejoin are on pay step zero, no matter where they had been before. In Europe you would call it fire for contract change, which in the same region is forbidden by locals laws. But that’s not the point as all are coming back on basic salary step 0.
not respecting the position in your career path, for e.g. not respecting a passed command upgrade or not respecting top seniority listed FO with a passed interview and a ready to letter in hands for near future upgrades is simple disrespectful and disgusting and shows simply the value.

Also in the rehire process comparing a former 2 year employee with a 20 year long over his medical expenses is just ridiculous, as live has surprises available and unfortunately for the 20 year long they were happening in DXB on the cost of EK. All that can not be reasonably be valid point to rehire the 2 year long pilot.

A lot of airlines did furlough pilots, but and that’s the large difference, they let rejoin everybody interested in the old position seniority and career schedule. And this is the big big big difference. There is at least somehow respect demonstrated between the hard business needs.

MostAnnoying
31st Mar 2022, 12:52
hairpin Using the term 'wanna bees' sounds condescending... I have heard a lot of stories about a lot of airlines over the world where conditions have gone down over the years. You with your 40 years experience apparently joined when the movie Catch Me If You Can was aired for the first time. Nowadays, the pilots I know, work hard and stepped in to this career knowing that it is not like the movies. But your assumption that all pilots want a glorious lifestyle might be correct, but the glorious lifestyle from nowadays is way different than 40 years ago.

My mentality to this entire thing is that I am here to see if I am able to join a company. Knowing stories from people who have worked, will work or are working there are a valuable contribution to my experience.

Everybody has their reason to want to work in Emirates or leave Emirates, the same way that everybody has their reasons to leave or stay at their current job. Because without knowing anyone's background, assumptions are made that they (the ones requesting information) are taking a jump off a cliff from their current employer. Emirates might have a background of which not everybody agrees upon, but there are a lot of people who apparently do enjoy it.

I started this thread to request information about the assessment and not about why people left and why we should stay away, those stories have come to light over the last 2 years and before that as well. So, if someone is able to shed some light on the assessment, that would be great.

devanshubakshi
31st Mar 2022, 14:06
hairpin Using the term 'wanna bees' sounds condescending... I have heard a lot of stories about a lot of airlines over the world where conditions have gone down over the years. You with your 40 years experience apparently joined when the movie Catch Me If You Can was aired for the first time. Nowadays, the pilots I know, work hard and stepped in to this career knowing that it is not like the movies. But your assumption that all pilots want a glorious lifestyle might be correct, but the glorious lifestyle from nowadays is way different than 40 years ago.

My mentality to this entire thing is that I am here to see if I am able to join a company. Knowing stories from people who have worked, will work or are working there are a valuable contribution to my experience.

Everybody has their reason to want to work in Emirates or leave Emirates, the same way that everybody has their reasons to leave or stay at their current job. Because without knowing anyone's background, assumptions are made that they (the ones requesting information) are taking a jump off a cliff from their current employer. Emirates might have a background of which not everybody agrees upon, but there are a lot of people who apparently do enjoy it.

I started this thread to request information about the assessment and not about why people left and why we should stay away, those stories have come to light over the last 2 years and before that as well. So, if someone is able to shed some light on the assessment, that would be great.

Hi
Congratulations on the call.
I applied about a week back.
They had asked me to submit my documents on their online portal, which I did 2 days back.
Waiting for their reply now.
I Have about 4200TT on 737s. 1400 PIC.

Thanks

lostinspace89
31st Mar 2022, 18:40
Although I agree with you on everything about EK, lets also not be dillusional about EU or UK airlines and think they treated employees fairly during Covid. One or Two of the biggest UK AIRLINES fired pilots not based on seniority but based on fleet where some pilots who had never flown on type but had begun TR were saved whilst others with hundreds of hours were let go …due to fleet demands. And now yes being recalled but on worse conditions.

other major EU airlines brought in new contracts with cuts and no changes to original contracts once Covid restrictions ended. So in the end they are all the same, don’t forget that! The grass is not greener anywhere anymore. And these things happened in western countries with “strong” unions ( some
unions that really only served themselves in the end ).

I can GUARANTEE you that if there were no unions in europe or the UK, the outcomes would have been 100x worse. No labour laws would have stopped them. So in my opinion, EK only did what everyone else would or have done.

So that’s OK then, lets forget it and the lives they ruined. It’s only once after all. We promise we won’t do it again.
And as for my mates, those that were furloughed were furloughed in seniority order, not medical state or any other strange reason.

No many airlines did let pilots go but the vast vast majority, are in line to rejoin and in front of new hires in seniority order with T&C as when they left. Once again if I am wrong please let me know

So exactly how many of the hundreds of 777 pilots have they rehired? How many have they even tried to contact to rehire? How many FOs have they rehired and how many Capts.

Upgrading 777 FO’s now who fill the slots of the pilots they trashed and threw away, whilst hiring new FOs to fill the gaps at the bottom that are left. Tell me if that’s not exactly what’s happening and I will stand corrected.

PIKAD
2nd Apr 2022, 20:25
Hello,

​​​​I slow down the momentum of the thread to ask a different question.

I am about to attend the assessment day in Dubai on May. EK needs a stamped logbook from the chief pilot or fleet manager from the airline I fly for, but i don't want to raise suspicion about leaving my current job until I am absolutely sure that I passed all the assessment stages.

Does anybody know if EK allows for an exception on such a case?

PS: After phycometric and abstract reasoning tests, you will be invited to attend an online interview (mostly TMAAT questions) and if successful you will get an invitation to attend the next stages to Dubai (SIM/compass etc, medical)

Thanks guys

airbuspilot944
3rd Apr 2022, 00:59
Hello,

I am about to attend the assessment day in Dubai on May. EK needs a stamped logbook from the chief pilot or fleet manager from the airline I fly for, but i don't want to raise suspicion about leaving my current job until I am absolutely sure that I passed all the assessment stages.

PS: After phycometric and abstract reasoning tests, you will be invited to attend an online interview (mostly TMAAT questions) and if successful you will get an invitation to attend the next stages to Dubai (SIM/compass etc, medical)

Thanks guys

No they don’t, if they have asked for it better to clarify with them before proceeding to Dubai for assessment. But most likely they would want to see.

n1hdgToga
3rd Apr 2022, 03:37
No response from EK, applied in September for ntr captain position.
status says- submitted.
Congrats to the guys who are called. Does ek pay for ticket and stay or is it self sponsored?

Bringanotherengine
5th Apr 2022, 07:21
Anyone have a start date with them recently?

Boeing or Airbus ?

Are they prioritising unemployed people or current ones. ? Both?

Fuel-Off
6th Apr 2022, 10:58

oh FFS Fired, LET. IT. GO. We get it! You were sacked and haven't been called back. I, and many others have said the same thing to you: THEY DON'T WANT YOU BACK!
Callous yes, but I mean really, there has to be a fundamental reason why they havent called you back yet - and I think we're all starting to see the reasons why...

Fired600
6th Apr 2022, 11:22
oh FFS Fired, LET. IT. GO. We get it! You were sacked and haven't been called back. I, and many others have said the same thing to you: THEY DON'T WANT YOU BACK!
Callous yes, but I mean really, there has to be a fundamental reason why they havent called you back yet - and I think we're all starting to see the reasons why...

Awww poor luv have I offended your sensibilities in some way? Shame, hard to hear the truth is it? Shame you had to try and make it personal…….Now,Fuel-Off :)

PIKAD
6th Apr 2022, 13:15
They cover travel and hotel expenses

paule737
6th Apr 2022, 19:44
Awww poor luv have I offended your sensibilities in some way? Shame, hard to hear the truth is it? Shame you had to try and make it personal…….Now,Fuel-Off :)

Let me fetch my popcorn 🍿 😂😂😂

flyTheBigFatLady
7th Apr 2022, 06:16

so way didn’t they many many many others with clean records no sick yet
there is far other concept behind recalls - I guess it’s simple a very un logical stupid reason how they sequenced the people they call - it’s not about who they like or not (some of them they don’t - that’s for sure but not the majority) it’s only one stupid argument of the highly capable managers resulting in that chaos - if we find out one day we would laugh your head off wouldn’t it so sad.
(a little hint: get hold of a seniority list pre and post Covid and compare it - you will be shocked what’s going on)

i.love.flying
14th Apr 2022, 16:36
Congratulations on making it this far. Wish you all the best.

When did you apply for the position on their website? I have submitted my documents on their portal and the status shows "Application received." Just wondering how long is the wait so that I stop checking my emails too often.

Hello,

Thanks guys

MrsTimmyTimmy
14th Apr 2022, 18:59
Hi,
I have been invited for an interview with EK mid May, F/O 1000 hours frozen ATPL, any info regarding the process?
Thank you

PIKAD
16th Apr 2022, 06:03
Congratulations on making it this far. Wish you all the best.

When did you apply for the position on their website? I have submitted my documents on their portal and the status shows "Application received." Just wondering how long is the wait so that I stop checking my emails too often.

I ve sent my CV in August..

Saffa_pilot
16th Apr 2022, 13:45
Hey all,

kind regards,

M.A.

Wow, Well done! I have applied with all my supporting documents sent in November. My application is still under review... strange.. I wonder if I should just apply again, or if they are looking for specific hours....

I have 7600TT, 4700 B737 of which 2700 is 737 command

A320251N
16th Apr 2022, 16:20
Safa I tried that, but with no success. Actually went from shortlisted (previous application) to application received (new one).

Similar hours to yours. A320 Type Rated.

aviatorLeo
18th Apr 2022, 13:44
Hi, anyone did the sim assessment recently could you please share the sim profile? Is it the one in LHR or the visual circuit in DXB?

Ipadpro
19th Apr 2022, 15:16
Hi, Just Wanna let you know the may Job Submission has changed to Under Review, how about you guys?

So what is the next step? Any trick to increase chance to be called for an interview ?

My dream is to be EK Pilot, I believe we are in the same journey.

Thank you

charco92
19th Apr 2022, 15:47
Hi everyone,

I have a schedule video interview for next month. Has anyone done it recently and could potentially give me some feedback on it ?
Much appreciated.

AngaSky
20th Apr 2022, 22:00

Giuff
21st Apr 2022, 09:37
I have closed my rehire process today.
Not going back.
Good luck to all wishing to enjoy the desert life in year 2022.

SOPS
21st Apr 2022, 10:44
Hi, Just Wanna let you know the may Job Submission has changed to Under Review, how about you guys?

So what is the next step? Any trick to increase chance to be called for an interview ?

Thank you

There are no “tricks” in EK. Anywhere.

Frankym
21st Apr 2022, 16:39
Hi,
I have been invited for an interview with EK mid May, F/O 1000 hours frozen ATPL, any info regarding the process?
Thank you
Hi
Do you have only 1000 hours total with frozen atpl? that's below requirement . Especially at the moment , there are thousand of qualified candidates.

Johndoe906
22nd Apr 2022, 08:00

Thank you

Been reviewed for 2 months now. Waiting game strongg.

hairpin
22nd Apr 2022, 13:12
Stay away from EK. Far away!!! You will regret it.

flyTheBigFatLady
25th Apr 2022, 13:39

Thank you

may I ask u why?

Ipadpro
26th Apr 2022, 18:21

Me too can’t wait to see what’s coming !

Ipadpro
26th Apr 2022, 18:47
may I ask u why?

I have a friend working in Emirates, He is enjoying the airlines much

All the negative story shared is nothing compared with my current Airlines.

Have you ever Heard L*on Air in Indonesia? JT is even worse than EK !

So that is the reason why I want to be EK crew.

ProJoystick
28th Apr 2022, 09:26
Hey guys im a CX FO looking to jump ship since CX massive paycut. Does anyone have a copy of Emirates or Qatar contract so I can compare the package? I am happy to share CX "toilet paper" contract for those is crazy enough to move to hk. Thanks.

Pistolpete47
28th Apr 2022, 12:14
Hey ProJoystick, maybe do some research on here and else where. You come across quite dodgy posting the the same question on multiple threads.

FL_410
2nd May 2022, 21:06
Hello guys anyone received any invitation for assessment lately?

1RAWDATA
2nd May 2022, 23:02
Wow, Well done! I have applied with all my supporting documents sent in November. My application is still under review... strange.. I wonder if I should just apply again, or if they are looking for specific hours....

I have 7600TT, 4700 B737 of which 2700 is 737 command
HI Saffa! Almost exactly the same experience as yours. Application under review since February.

AceG
3rd May 2022, 14:38
There are assessments currently going on Dubai. Or at least from next week. I'm going end of May.

quagmire69
3rd May 2022, 18:20
Hi guys,

Anyone knows if you can reapply to EK after failed assessment? If yes, after how long?

Asking for a friend.

giggity

IGNITIONS
3rd May 2022, 22:24
FRENCHBEE is doing the same as EK. Especially the Ludo Management by FEAR !!! Stay away from this DFO …

neverevertraceme
7th May 2022, 09:27
DO NOT GO WORK FOR THIS AIRLINE. I have been in the industry for 40 years, 15+ working for EK. It will kill you. I've had good and bad jobs but EK is the worst management by far! You've been warned. Stay away. Far away.
Worst management ? I believe you never flew of Qatar Airways

Flight85
15th May 2022, 03:37
I have a question regarding the number of hours EK pilots fly. In some posts it mentions pre-COVID they flew 105-120 block hours a month. Is the hard limited 900 block hours a year , so doing 7.5 months of 120 hours a month you would reach the limit of 900 in 12 months ? Or is there something I am missing

Mach_Krit
15th May 2022, 08:59
You will do 80-90 hours a month. Rest during a ULR doesn’t count towards the 900 hour limit.

Flight85
15th May 2022, 12:24
You will do 80-90 hours a month. Rest during a ULR doesn’t count towards the 900 hour limit.

Wow so how many hours are guys spending per calendar year in the Aircraft

dingodyle
15th May 2022, 13:55
do you know that for sure? I had heard that was no longer the case

charco92
15th May 2022, 14:48
Good afternoon,

First of all good luck for the stage 2 in DXB. I am in the same situation as you. Did you get any more feedback than on LPJ or here ? Because this forum doesn't seem to be super helpful !
And I would be really happy to maybe hear from you once you are back from DXB for your feedback if you are willing to do so of course ?

In the meantime, fingers crossed for you !

Take care

felixthecat
15th May 2022, 17:07
do you know that for sure? I had heard that was no longer the case

That will depend on the fleet. The guys on the 777 fleet are flying their behinds off , the 380 not as much. EK has never had a history of over staffing so don’t think for a minute it will be a holiday.

3cy3D
17th May 2022, 11:25
Any airbus guys who got joining date?

Tortilla
24th May 2022, 11:42
Hi Guys

I received an invitation to Digital Interview.
Does someone know if it will be combined with psychometric tests or it’s separate invitation?

Emma Royds
30th May 2022, 23:07
I have a question regarding the number of hours EK pilots fly. In some posts it mentions pre-COVID they flew 105-120 block hours a month. Is the hard limited 900 block hours a year , so doing 7.5 months of 120 hours a month you would reach the limit of 900 in 12 months ? Or is there something I am missing

When the rosters are created, the company will go to great lengths to avoid paying productivity pay. On a 31 day month, this kicks in at 88 block hours and on a 28 day month the threshold is 79 hours. This includes all bunk and positioning time. In general on the 777 at least, hours are not the issue but rather the inability to have enough influence over your roster from a lifestyle perspective (days off etc). I only got the days off I wanted next month after swapping with colleagues!

Hublot
31st May 2022, 07:34
How do you guys check what the status is on your application?

Spongeboeing
31st May 2022, 08:11
How do you guys check what the status is on your application?

Tortilla
1st Jun 2022, 09:36
I don’t Know if you noticed, but there is no more Panel Interview in Dubai, is now online only - 1st stage. Anyone knows if there are any ATPL or technical questions? Or is just HR?
What about Compass test? Anyone who had it recently can share a bit ?

paule737
1st Jun 2022, 22:59
There's a sucker born every minute.

I can only say… Been there, done that, got that T-Shirt!

There’s plenty of information out on the process and the company itself…

Think about twice, before making that move… The deal is by far not, what it used to be and you must be kinda desperate..,..

Anyway - good luck

Bloated Stomach
2nd Jun 2022, 08:45

Think about twice, before making that move… The deal is by far not, what it used to be and you must be kinda desperate..,..

Anyway - good luck

You will find there is no perfect job opportunity right now. It’s all about looking after number one and thinking about yourself. Wait for the waves to calm and then set your sail in the right direction.

Spongeboeing
2nd Jun 2022, 09:02
I don’t Know if you noticed, but there is no more Panel Interview in Dubai, is now online only - 1st stage. Anyone knows if there are any ATPL or technical questions? Or is just HR?
What about Compass test? Anyone who had it recently can share a bit ?

Stage 1 (online): Record answers to questions with your camera in HireVue. You're given 15 seconds to think about the the answer before the recording starts and you need to submit the answers within 7 days.
Stage 2: Online interview with Microsoft Teams. You're given a chance to choose a day you're available.
Dubai: Sim, Compass, Medical

LatestPilotJobs is a good place to find exercises to prepare.

BigGeordie
2nd Jun 2022, 09:04
"It’s all about looking after number one and thinking about yourself."
Dubai summed up in one sentence. You'll fit right in.

Spongeboeing
2nd Jun 2022, 09:09

Anyway - good luck
Some of you have to realize that there are people here working as contractors, without basic salary and with a very unstable income that goes from crazy well paid in summer to barely enough in winter, without any real capacity to make predictions on how the rest of the year will be and no security provided by a proper contract with a basic salary. There are people paying for their own hotels during out of base duties and simulator. They're paying for their uniform, their medical and even have money deducted for their simulator. And these weren't the conditions they signed up for when they first joined. They're also being thrown around across the different bases as they wait endlessly to be based where they want to be based. And then some of you complain about hard work at EK, jetlag and who knows what else. When you have a REAL reason to claim that XXX company has poor conditions then you can make a case. Stop complaining about long flights. Stop complaining about turnarounds or about jetlag. You're working in a company that provides you with accommodation in a fun city, cleans your uniform, hands you cash on layovers, finances the education of your kids, gives you a leisure discount club card and many more benefits so that all you have to do is show up clean and sober at the entrance of your building to go to work.

Just. Stop. Complaining.

AIMINGHIGH123
2nd Jun 2022, 13:18
Some of you have to realize that there are people here working as contractors, without basic salary and with a very unstable income that goes from crazy well paid in summer to barely enough in winter, without any real capacity to make predictions on how the rest of the year will be and no security provided by a proper contract with a basic salary. There are people paying for their own hotels during out of base duties and simulator. They're paying for their uniform, their medical and even have money deducted for their simulator. And these weren't the conditions they signed up for when they first joined. They're also being thrown around across the different bases as they wait endlessly to be based where they want to be based. And then some of you complain about hard work at EK, jetlag and who knows what else. When you have a REAL reason to defend the opinion that XXX company has poor conditions when you can make a case. Otherwise it's just complaining as a sport. I've been in aviation since 2005. I did work for EK in the past. People always found reasons to complain.

Well said. Many other airlines out there have so much worse T+Cs.

My previous outfit we had an ex EK guy 15 years come and work for us for a while. He said it was so much harder than his time at EK.

av8sean
3rd Jun 2022, 00:27
Some of you have to realize that there are people here working as contractors, without basic salary and with a very unstable income that goes from crazy well paid in summer to barely enough in winter, without any real capacity to make predictions on how the rest of the year will be and no security provided by a proper contract with a basic salary. There are people paying for their own hotels during out of base duties and simulator. They're paying for their uniform, their medical and even have money deducted for their simulator. And these weren't the conditions they signed up for when they first joined. They're also being thrown around across the different bases as they wait endlessly to be based where they want to be based. And then some of you complain about hard work at EK, jetlag and who knows what else. When you have a REAL reason to claim that XXX company has poor conditions then you can make a case. Stop complaining about long flights. Stop complaining about turnarounds or about jetlag. You're working in a company that provides you with accommodation in a fun city, cleans your uniform, hands you cash on layovers, finances the education of your kids, gives you a leisure discount club card and many more benefits so that all you have to do is show up clean and sober at the entrance of your building to go to work.

Just. Stop. Complaining.

Just stop complaining about fatigue, and enjoy the Stockholm syndrome! At least you aren't being whipped or beaten, what are you complaining about!

This mentality has destroyed the pilot profession pretty much globally except the USA. Very sad.

Spongeboeing
3rd Jun 2022, 10:47
Flight and duty time limitations apply in Emirates too. Being tired is not the same as being fatigued. Tiring is having 10 hours duties 5 days in a row, 4 turnarounds each day with 25 minutes stops (slots, ground staff shortages, weather, etc). And on top of that you're responsible of keeping your uniform clean, bringing food to work in Tupperware, getting yourself to work and hoping that you're working from your base instead of having to look and pay yourself for a hotel to spend the nights between duties when rostered out of base. This is how you work in any profitable European company keeping people employed.

If on a 9 day BKK SYD AKL you're spending your layovers partying like an animal, then of course you're gonna be tired and fatigued. If you're fatigued at Emirates, I don't know of any company that you wouldn't be fatigued in. If your idea of a jet career is to fly 50h per month then maybe long haul passenger operations are not for you.

Airline flying is a demanding job, both physically and mentally. People who come to read this thread aren't idiots. They've considered their options and have chosen to pursue a career flying long haul in a company like Emirates. They know they'd fly a lot and they also know about the benefits they'd enjoy.

flyTheBigFatLady
3rd Jun 2022, 17:12
Flight and duty time limitations apply in Emirates too. Being tired is not the same as being fatigued. Tiring is having 10 hours duties 5 days in a row, 4 turnarounds each day with 25 minutes stops (slots, ground staff shortages, weather, etc). And on top of that you're responsible of keeping your uniform clean, bringing food to work in Tupperware, getting yourself to work and hoping that you're working from your base instead of having to look and pay yourself for a hotel to spend the nights between duties when rostered out of base. This is how you work in any profitable European company keeping people employed.

If on a 9 day BKK SYD AKL you're spending your layovers partying like an animal, then of course you're gonna be tired and fatigued. If you're fatigued at Emirates, I don't know of any company that you wouldn't be fatigued in. If your idea of a jet career is to fly 50h per month then maybe long haul passenger operations are not for you.

Airline flying is a demanding job, both physically and mentally. People who come to read this thread aren't idiots. They've considered their options and have chosen to pursue a career flying long haul in a company like Emirates. They know they'd fly a lot and they also know about the benefits they'd enjoy.

So you are happy having 8-10 days off flying half the globe and back. And constantly have a ULR followed by three India night turns? Because this is the norm once all 380 are airborne again.

so why is it than, that Lufthansa,KLM, Air France and Swiss pilots are in general happy with their duties, part time models and the possibility of commuting to their long haul duties. why are they not with EK if this company is so much better than the rest?

Spongeboeing
3rd Jun 2022, 18:09
So you are happy having 8-10 days off flying half the globe and back. And constantly have a ULR followed by three India night turns? Because this is the norm once all 380 are airborne again.

so why is it than, that Lufthansa,KLM, Air France and Swiss pilots are in general happy with their duties, part time models and the possibility of commuting to their long haul duties. why are they not with EK if this company is so much better than the rest?

How can you ask that?? That's like aviation career basics.

Because not all of us were lucky to get a job at a national carrier in our 20s. We're mercenaries. We go where the good work is hoping to make as much money as possible in a way that is compatible with our off-work life goals and enjoy while we're at it. You know well enough that most European pilots would change a high income career in Asia and the Middle East for a lower income career in a national carrier like Lufthansa, KLM or Iberia. Who here is flying for Lufthansa I ask? Most of us here are in Easyjet, Wizzair, Ryanair, DHL, Norwegian, etc. Tell a Wizzair pilot that xxx company is bad because they fly a lot. See what happens.

Callone
3rd Jun 2022, 22:18

On 380 has never been like that and never will be, 12/14 days off flying 90/95 hrs was the minimum at peak.

paule737
4th Jun 2022, 00:01

Just. Stop. Complaining.

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about!!!

Spongeboeing
4th Jun 2022, 05:52
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about!!!

You mean I have no clue about my actual current conditions or that I have no clue about the conditions I had when I was working for Emirates?

Shazeem
4th Jun 2022, 06:28

Because not all of us were lucky to get a job at a national carrier in our 20s. We're mercenaries. We go where the good work is hoping to make as much money as possible in a way that is compatible with our off-work life goals and enjoy while we're at it. You know well enough that most European pilots would change a high income career in Asia and the Middle East for a lower income career in a national carrier like Lufthansa, KLM or Iberia. Who here is flying for Lufthansa I ask? Most of us here are in Easyjet, Wizzair, Ryanair, DHL, Norwegian, etc. Tell a Wizzair pilot that xxx company is bad because they fly a lot. See what happens.

And yet there are people who stayed at EK alhough there were options to go to above mentioned airlines the past years. Many did apply but didnt get in for some reason. Then you realise you are trapped in your golden cage. Might as well convince yourself that life at LH, KLM is worse than at EK. Taxes, the people, the weather, flying big aircraft, here I am a somebody and I can behave inhumane to other people..you will find some reason...anything to fool yourself and keep some self esteem. But you know you have been bending over "me love you longtime " and that you are stuck in that position.

For people who cannot apply at the legacy carriers...EK is "best of the worst". Halas, what to do. Fill buckets. When done, leave and enjoy the hard earned. Hopefully still with your family. That should be the main goal. Keep focussing on that goal and all the BS will slide off you.

flyTheBigFatLady
4th Jun 2022, 07:12

somewhere mentioned on 380 min 12/14 days off. Well I have seen enough month where that is absolutely not true. I had a good amount of month with 10 and less still doing 90hr.

The question is what did you need to give up going to EK:

from 2016 to 2019 and later into COVID restrictions pilots (especially commanders) did not get there full yearly vacation.
therefore they could often only meet the family once a year if at all

1) your family back home (parents siblings etc)
2) friends
3) think of the kids who left their friends back home because daddy wished for EK

usually the Pilar's of your sozial life

for what:

to sit in the dessert, within a super artificial environment, where people giving up their identity, to people who even not having one, for a company which does not respect the individual a single second.

life in DXB sounds interesting - but only for a tiny tiny bit compared to the life span being there. If you are for more than some beach clubs, cars, boats and being 10000 times in the desert having barbecue. Other than that DXB is not any thing more than boring.

There is not only one case where him the pilot convinced her(wife) and them(kids) to follow his dream and for the fun of making their live nice and cosy, pilled a good amount of depth with the bank just to keep them happy.
look around you in MS or MH nearly every second wife wants either to be a hairdresser or cosmetic artist, personal trainer, not because they can’t do anything else or they are not qualified. They just having a super hard time to find something what aligns with their education or qualification for a fair and nice salary.

Beside the ****** up cost of living (speaking of times pre Covid and pre Ukrainian War)

point is simple, EK was a cool job back when the individual was able to spread the vacation across the year, top it up with some of days. Back than it was possible to see it as just a job where you go to work and leave for short Periode to recharge the batteries from the dessert idiocy.since some local has deceived that your personal well being has to focused on spending your time in Dxb, people forgetting that your are caged.
I can still remember the voices everywhere when AAR disabled the possibility to add 5 days to a week of VAC. People learned to live with it, but nobody was happy. And till today the Stockholm Syndrom is setting in.

And today people think living in a compound far of the most in the middle of the dessert with a community pool (which is half year round not working) is the golden perfect live.

most people I know had been redundant are missing the long range flying within a network like the of EK - none of them is missing EK as a company and all are committed that their new lifestyle in regards to the environment is a thousand time better than in ******* DXB.
comparing the big airlines in Europe with all the LCC is by far more than difficult.

What has to be said, is that exactly those fellows who never made it into one of the big airlines are to be blamed that Ryan Air, Wizz & co have been successful with their employment models, as all those pilots started to sell their sole to get in and accepted every BS contract just to say „I am a pilot „.
I know quite a few people who turned down a list of offers from LCC and ACMIs just because of the contract terms versus money you earn.
If 80% of pilots would think the same way, including those at the ME3 than things would be fairly different even in the dessert.
but Pilots as a group are the easiest to trick and play as their will be always one being happy to be in the golden cage to realize years later what he had done to his personal and mental health giving up so much for the by far most disrespectful company in industry. And now you will say Asia isn’t any better - true but at least the paid triple and wasn’t any easy to get in.

Spongeboeing
4th Jun 2022, 10:06
So what you're basically saying is that YOU didn't enjoy life in Dubai and that for some people's personal circumstances working in the Middle East is not an option compatible with their family plans. Fair enough.

Dubai is a love it or hate it kind of city. There are people who do enjoy the life style in Dubai (Le me) and managed to establish relationships with people and a time off work that doesn't feel completely artificial. There are expats there who do things other than beach posing, desert bbq and yacht parties. I left Dubai late 2000s. I still maintain contact with the people who stayed. They're alright. Not all of them feel like they are in a golden cage. Some of them have families and businesses outside of aviation and property in Dubai. If you expect an ME3 adventure to be the same as working for a legacy based in your hometown, then maybe that's your problem right there.

But more importantly, when stating the facts about how it feels like to work in Dubai at Emirates, you need to consider where people are coming from. Nobody is leaving a job at Lufthansa for a job at Emirates. We're all trying to have a better career. Sometimes the motivation is money, sometimes it's a lifestyle or a professional satisfaction. You just don't know where people come from so you can't say it's good or bad. It's always relative.

You can't blame new pilots for the current conditions in the low cost carriers in Europe. I'd like to see you with 500h prop rejecting your first airline gig. The conditions have changed mid contract. People are leaving. This exodus will result in an improvement of conditions. It's just another cycle.

Kennytheking
4th Jun 2022, 10:22
Chaps, this thread is about the application procedure at EK. There are plenty of other threads where you can bitch and moan about the company. Let's get back on topic.

Maz11
4th Jun 2022, 12:26
Nobody is leaving a job at Lufthansa for a job at Emirates.

Flew with an FO on the 380 last month who did exactly that. So it does happen.

BigGeordie
4th Jun 2022, 14:29
I've known a few people who have come from "respectable" airlines in their home countries so it definitely does happen. The reasons vary but it is often because they believed what they were told during recruitment ("accelerated command" being a favourite) and always because it couldn't really be as bad as people said on Pprune, could it? I occasionally wonder how many are still happy with their decision after 5 years when they have finally paid the bond off.

Bloated Stomach
4th Jun 2022, 14:53
You’ll find most are happy at Emirates. If they weren’t, they would be long gone. Emirates will always have a steady stream of competent pilots. Emirates isn’t perfect but a very good option for a lot of people. Look around Europe, South Asia and South America and you’ll see how bad employers can be.

Spongeboeing
4th Jun 2022, 16:01
Exactly. I remember one time I was clearing security at WAW and I saw an EK crew. I asked them "Hey, I left Dubai some 16 years ago, is it really that bad now". And they literally told me "Don't believe everything you read on PPRUNE.

I get that some of you may be frustrated because your expectations were unrealistic. You thought you'd fly in Emirates like an airline pilot in the 80s. Don't blame other people for that and let them be interested in this company. I know personally people who are there perfectly happy more than 10 years later. I also know people who are not happy and people who have left (some regret having left, like a captain in my current company).

The reality is that back in 2005, I remember people saying "Emirates is not what it used to be back in 95, those were the days". Today there's people idealizing the 2000s and hating the current times. Nothing has changed.

AIMINGHIGH123
4th Jun 2022, 18:07
Exactly. I remember one time I was clearing security at WAW and I saw an EK crew. I asked them "Hey, I left Dubai some 16 years ago, is it really that bad now". And they literally told me "Don't believe everything you read on PPRUNE.

I get that some of you may be frustrated because your expectations were unrealistic. You thought you'd fly in Emirates like an airline pilot in the 80s. Don't blame other people for that and let them be interested in this company. I know personally people who are there perfectly happy more than 10 years later. I also know people who are not happy and people who have left (some regret having left, like a captain in my current company).

The reality is that back in 2005, I remember people saying "Emirates is not what it used to be back in 95, those were the days". Today there's people idealizing the 2000s and hating the current times. Nothing has changed.

“Don’t believe everything you hear on PPRUNE”. That’s exactly what the ex EK captain I flew with said to me and I didn’t even mention PPRUNE.

“Happy wife Happy life.” That was his other advice for EK. That will make things run so much smoother. Everyone on board and smooth sailing ish.

BigGeordie
4th Jun 2022, 19:08
On the subject of advice for EK and Dubai, one more little gem I heard: "Make sure you leave Dubai with the same wife you arrived with." The various stresses of expat life (and working for Emirates) do add to the divorce rate.

SaulGoodman
5th Jun 2022, 08:07
On the subject of advice for EK and Dubai, one more little gem I heard: "Make sure you leave Dubai with the same wife you arrived with." The various stresses of expat life (and working for Emirates) do add to the divorce rate.

Having a wife is one of the key reasons never to go to the UAE/ME3. I can completely understand when you are in your twenties, single and no kids to go to EK. Having done various stints in the UAE I can fully comprehend that the first couple of years can be quite fun. Long term it is a ****hole compared to basically everywhere in Europe.

I also don’t agree that most employers in Europe are worse than in the ME. Wizz, RYR and most Eastern European operators maybe.

Shazeem
5th Jun 2022, 08:38
You’ll find most are happy at Emirates. If they weren’t, they would be long gone. Emirates will always have a steady stream of competent pilots. Emirates isn’t perfect but a very good option for a lot of people. Look around Europe, South Asia and South America and you’ll see how bad employers can be.

That's 3rd floor talking. But it is a fact that a lot of people stay. Are all these people happy? It is all relative as said before. If you have only options to go to which will make you less happy, easy choice. But even then ex colleagues left for RYR, DHL and Wizz.

But to say that most are happy at EK? That is BS. Just look around you in MS or MH. You never see a EK pilot smiling when being picked up with the company car. It should be fun to again fly the biggest pax ac...ooh wait you did that last year for 1000+ hours (unfactured).
Check out FB, the Pilot Wifes page..seems everybody is not so happy.
But hey..,what is happiness?

AIMINGHIGH123
5th Jun 2022, 19:54
That's 3rd floor talking. But it is a fact that a lot of people stay. Are all these people happy? It is all relative as said before. If you have only options to go to which will make you less happy, easy choice. But even then ex colleagues left for RYR, DHL and Wizz.

But to say that most are happy at EK? That is BS. Just look around you in MS or MH. You never see a EK pilot smiling when being picked up with the company car. It should be fun to again fly the biggest pax ac...ooh wait you did that last year for 1000+ hours (unfactured).
Check out FB, the Pilot Wifes page..seems everybody is not so happy.
But hey..,what is happiness?

What is happiness?

For me it’s not spending 24/7 with my family. By god I did that in 2020. Jeez I would rather smash out 2000 hrs a year than do that again.

These are the characters in aviation:
First Officers:
80% are super happy. Just want to smash those hours out particularly when low hours.

10% are kind of happy. Enjoy flying but think maybe they should be doing something else.

10% not happy. Various reasons. Poor salary, taking ages for command, definitely don’t like flying and not sure why they started it etc etc. Yes I knew someone who just got into flying because his dad wanted him to. Oh dear.

Captains:
5% still super excited about aviation even when they are over 60 years old still full time flying as many hours as possible. Flown with some guys in this bracket and doesn’t matter time of day they seem to be like excited puppies all the time. Bit annoying at 4am but glad they loving life.

15% very happy. Again usually older people who flew during good years. Saved a fair amount and could retire early. Still enjoying flying.
Another group of Captains in this group are ones that work at airlines that offer what they are looking for eg part time. They are happy to take the cut in salary and enjoy days off thinking about flying while enjoying other past times.
New Captains also in this bracket (First 3 years)

30% moderately happy. Soldiering on day in day out. Been LHS a little over 3 years. Initial wow factor of being Captain has now worn off. Increase in salary has been helping them feel much more financially comfortable. Most of these found at seniority based airlines get most of holidays they request and can pick trips they want etc.

30% not very happy at all. These are Captains that don’t need the money as much but are at airline that doesn’t offer what they want. Been in LHS over 7 years. Every airport is the same now. Fed up of gruelling rosters. Going through security again and again and again. Think back to days when you were flying SEP/MEP into some dirt strip airport which is never going to happen again. Wish you could move companies but would have to start from the bottom again. Your current company doesn’t offer what you would like. (That can be a multitude of things).

20% the grumpiest of grumps. These are the LHS people who moan about everything. Usually been in aviation a long time but not always. Does seem to be a group too deep in to be able to give it up. Too much flying. Too little flying. Don’t get paid enough. Get paid too much. (Yes that does sound weird but I flew with a Captain once who complained about the day off working payments. I said it was great incentive to help stop the flight cancellations due to lack of staff, part time workers will be incentivised through this difficult summer. “NO it’s not. I wrote to our Head of Flight Operations and said it’s not needed. We need to save money. REDUCE these payments NOW”. Erm ok)
Too many nights away. Too few nights away.
Aviation isn’t what it used to be. Another CAVOK day, boring. Same person in winter. Oh FFS can’t we just have CAVOK days all the time Im fed up with this. I wish I had done something else. The list is endless.

Sorry completely off piste from the topic but I had a spare 15 mins to burn.

flyTheBigFatLady
6th Jun 2022, 06:32
Flew with an FO on the 380 last month who did exactly that. So it does happen.

if some people came from
lufthansa it was for two reasons:

1) something happend there and they stopped recruiting - so a lot of trained and check pilots where sent to the checkin counter or just send to the streets being on waiting list with no details for the future

2) simple as the way to command is to long, we are talking of 15 years plus. And it’s along way throu short haul flying too, until you see long haul.

99% Lufthansa pilots are not leaving it, unless being forced to do so.

during COVID they got a salary of 80% from Norma pay doing nothing sitting at home and a job at the end.

flyTheBigFatLady
6th Jun 2022, 06:40
What is happiness?

For me it’s not spending 24/7 with my family. By god I did that in 2020. Jeez I would rather smash out 2000 hrs a year than do that again.

These are the characters in aviation:
First Officers:
80% are super happy. Just want to smash those hours out particularly when low hours.

10% are kind of happy. Enjoy flying but think maybe they should be doing something else.

10% not happy. Various reasons. Poor salary, taking ages for command, definitely don’t like flying and not sure why they started it etc etc. Yes I knew someone who just got into flying because his dad wanted him to. Oh dear.

Captains:
5% still super excited about aviation even when they are over 60 years old still full time flying as many hours as possible. Flown with some guys in this bracket and doesn’t matter time of day they seem to be like excited puppies all the time. Bit annoying at 4am but glad they loving life.

15% very happy. Again usually older people who flew during good years. Saved a fair amount and could retire early. Still enjoying flying.
Another group of Captains in this group are ones that work at airlines that offer what they are looking for eg part time. They are happy to take the cut in salary and enjoy days off thinking about flying while enjoying other past times.
New Captains also in this bracket (First 3 years)

30% moderately happy. Soldiering on day in day out. Been LHS a little over 3 years. Initial wow factor of being Captain has now worn off. Increase in salary has been helping them feel much more financially comfortable. Most of these found at seniority based airlines get most of holidays they request and can pick trips they want etc.

30% not very happy at all. These are Captains that don’t need the money as much but are at airline that doesn’t offer what they want. Been in LHS over 7 years. Every airport is the same now. Fed up of gruelling rosters. Going through security again and again and again. Think back to days when you were flying SEP/MEP into some dirt strip airport which is never going to happen again. Wish you could move companies but would have to start from the bottom again. Your current company doesn’t offer what you would like. (That can be a multitude of things).

20% the grumpiest of grumps. These are the LHS people who moan about everything. Usually been in aviation a long time but not always. Does seem to be a group too deep in to be able to give it up. Too much flying. Too little flying. Don’t get paid enough. Get paid too much. (Yes that does sound weird but I flew with a Captain once who complained about the day off working payments. I said it was great incentive to help stop the flight cancellations due to lack of staff, part time workers will be incentivised through this difficult summer. “NO it’s not. I wrote to our Head of Flight Operations and said it’s not needed. We need to save money. REDUCE these payments NOW”. Erm ok)
Too many nights away. Too few nights away.
Aviation isn’t what it used to be. Another CAVOK day, boring. Same person in winter. Oh FFS can’t we just have CAVOK days all the time Im fed up with this. I wish I had done something else. The list is endless.

Sorry completely off piste from the topic but I had a spare 15 mins to burn.

Happiness is a individual thing:

most people are not happy after passing 5 years in the sand pit, but they are happy with money they make and found it better than being a LCC pilot in Europe with a ****ty pay.
getting to EK is easy, getting out very hard. when you find you won’t find a job paying your lifestyle ( the fancy car, the endless number of visits to the beach clubs or the exciting vacation destinations you can reach and afford since they are on the network)

first major drop on leaving EK to a LCC, beside the salary, is the realization that you won’t get ZED tickets and your income does not allow to go to Mauritius or Sansibar etc once a year.

flyTheBigFatLady
6th Jun 2022, 07:05
So what you're basically saying is that YOU didn't enjoy life in Dubai and that for some people's personal circumstances working in the Middle East is not an option compatible with their family plans. Fair enough.

Dubai is a love it or hate it kind of city. There are people who do enjoy the life style in Dubai (Le me) and managed to establish relationships with people and a time off work that doesn't feel completely artificial. There are expats there who do things other than beach posing, desert bbq and yacht parties. I left Dubai late 2000s. I still maintain contact with the people who stayed. They're alright. Not all of them feel like they are in a golden cage. Some of them have families and businesses outside of aviation and property in Dubai. If you expect an ME3 adventure to be the same as working for a legacy based in your hometown, then maybe that's your problem right there.

agree :
if your life expectations is to sit at home with your family and/or on your whereeveritis property, talking about your side business than EK or Dubai is perfectly right

so for the Kids:
80% of there activities are indoors just because of the climate

My kids are 80% of the year are outdoor having multiple activities which are free of charge

those with the side business have done the only one right thing. Get distracted from the EK sh…… and maximize the profit once they need to go - these guys have my respect.

most people go to EK - for the lifestyle coming with the income they would never have at home. Be honest look around you what people posse and than think of the same street what it would look like back home (MS and MH)

may I ask what are your off time activities around the year or those of your kids if you have some ?

charco92
6th Jun 2022, 15:22
Anyone has recently been to the Dubai selection stage & could share some useful infos ? This was the initial topic, not an EK bashing contest.

HawqinsBooy
7th Jun 2022, 16:56
Did anybody boeing rated had been sent any interview message recently ? My application show status "application recieved" for a quiet some time already and ive been told they are calling only airbus guys recently. Appreciate any feedback 😉

Spongeboeing
8th Jun 2022, 19:50
Boeing guy here also still waiting for first contact. I applied 2 weeks ago and it shows "application under review" since the day I submitted the application. Where did you hear that they're only calling Airbus guys now? Do they have all the Boeing people they need?

MarcoKumar
9th Jun 2022, 04:40
Anyone has recently been to the Dubai selection stage & could share some useful infos ? This was the initial topic, not an EK bashing contest.

Hi! Maybe you can share the first part of the assessment? (HireVue) What to expect from there? I've sent you a PM btw. Best of luck! :)

Spongeboeing
9th Jun 2022, 10:21
Hi! Maybe you can share the first part of the assessment? (HireVue) What to expect from there? I've sent you a PM btw. Best of luck! :)
You also sent me one. I read it. You should know that in PPruNe people can't reply to private messages until they've reached a certain amount of thread posts as the PM box only fits 1 message. So answering your PM: Just get yourself a month subscription at latestpilotjobs.com Emirates Pilot Interview and Assessment Preparation. It has a practice section and the comment section is full of advice and specific questions that people were asked.

AIMINGHIGH123
9th Jun 2022, 16:05
Boeing guys are still going. I know a couple going soon. Got people joining Boeing for sure in October.

Spongeboeing
9th Jun 2022, 16:42
Yeah, they're going but they applied earlier possibly. My pal here passed the assessment in Dubai last week and he's now confirmed for course in Nov/Dec. They told him they're hiring 150 Boeing pilots and that the last course will start in February. But they called him just 10 days after he submitted the application about a month ago.

I and a bunch of other Boeing guys I'm in contact with applied 2 weeks ago and we haven't been called to do the Hirevue stage. So could it be that they finished screening Boeing people sometime during the past 2 weeks? Every Boeing pilot I know who was contacted to start the online stages applied more than 3 weeks ago.

Saffa_pilot
11th Jun 2022, 08:31
Boeing guy here also still waiting for first contact. I applied 2 weeks ago and it shows "application under review" since the day I submitted the application. Where did you hear that they're only calling Airbus guys now? Do they have all the Boeing people they need?

My application has been under review since Feb... Boeing hours over 3500 with over 7000hrs TT... Not too sure what criteria they are looking for at this point in time.

Sharklet
11th Jun 2022, 12:57
Anyone here who has not flown 150 hours in the preceding 12 months been contacted for a screening?

Tortilla
17th Jun 2022, 11:47
I’m preparing for Panel Interview online.
Can someone advise if it will include technical questions as well?

Callone
17th Jun 2022, 15:43
I’m preparing for Panel Interview online.
Can someone advise if it will include technical questions as well?
Might happen, but unlikely. Competency based interview “ tell about a time when you had to …..”.

pfvspnf
17th Jun 2022, 20:27
Tell me about a time when cabin crew invite you for dinner , tell me please

Emma Royds
18th Jun 2022, 04:36
I generally find the happiest colleagues are the ones that have more going on outside of work. Hobbies, getting out of DXB on days off or a side business etc. In the searing summer heat when getting outdoors is a challenge, it is very easy to get sucked into an EK vortex during your spare time, which revolves around coffee, gossip and tales from frustrated colleagues. During a row of days off, happiness is V1 at DXB!

italian stallion
21st Jun 2022, 08:47
I have it direct from HR, only calling Airbus rated guys now.

Spongeboeing
21st Jun 2022, 11:34
Any chance they are calling guys with less than 2000 hours ? (Airbus rated)
Unlikely. In fact the recruitment process has slowed down. New applications are "under review" and people who passed the assessment over the last month are still waiting for a date to start training. Courses are said to take place November-January. They've reactivated the a380 and they're calling back A380 rated people who stopped flying during the pandemic and Airbus people in case they don't find enough. It's unlikely that they'll need to lower the entry requirements for now. A huge amount of European LOCO pilots with far more than 2000h are applying so you'd need at least that. If you expect to reach 2000h in the very near future just apply.

Basdriver
21st Jun 2022, 15:43
I believe they have excess pilots on A380? Combine with rejoining, they slow down the hiring on the A380. And not all the redundant been recalled.

Tortilla
23rd Jun 2022, 18:23
So… I’m happy to say that I got invitation to Dubai selection. Probably I need to schedule it in August, so quite long time to prepare.
Anyone from Airbus candidates, who can advice how simulator check looks right now, more or less? Maths test is a challenge for me as well, cause I went through some examples on LPJ website and it’s nothing crazy, but definitely needs to be refreshed.
Anyone of You plan to go to Dubai early August, late July?

VarigMD11
24th Jun 2022, 04:20
Anyone here who has not flown 150 hours in the preceding 12 months been contacted for a screening?

I was told by senior HR people that this is non-negotiable unfortunately. Sad for those of us who haven't really flown since Covid hit.

Sharklet
24th Jun 2022, 12:09
I was told by senior HR people that this is non-negotiable unfortunately. Sad for those of us who haven't really flown since Covid hit.

Thanks for confirming it.

quagmire69
28th Jun 2022, 21:22
Hi guys,

Anyone knows after how long you can reapply after failed assesment?

Thanks!

PPRuNeUser0216
29th Jun 2022, 07:40
Good afternoon, I am interested in speaking to any former Emirates pilots who were made redundant in the pandemic and have been advised that they can't return to their previous jobs. Please DM me.

HawqinsBooy
29th Jun 2022, 08:37
Hi guys,

Thanks!

I think its 18 months

airbuspilot944
29th Jun 2022, 11:39
Hi guys,

Thanks!

depends last I know people who failed interview after psychometric got 24 months.

PPRuNeUser0216
29th Jun 2022, 19:32
Thank you for all the private messages. I will respond in due course.

Miche767
30th Jun 2022, 09:11
Thank you for all the private messages. I will respond in due course.

Your inbox is full

nimrodjoe
30th Jun 2022, 20:39
I find it very interesting to read of all the Covid-kids joining our ranks shortly. Over the years the standards have slowly slipped which can easily be seen from the training seat. Many who joined just prior to Covid are having issues after two years off because a lack of experience, and we have done very little over Covid to attract real talent to the business.

I find it amusing to read these same magenta pilots writing on this forum asking where to eat in Dubai , no doubt bringing the wife and kids to Dubai for a week of shopping malls , 600 dirham brunches, skydiving and desert tours all convincing themselves that Dubai is just the place for them.

Let’s just recap the last 2 years in Emirates.

March 2022, email sent to staff stating “emirates is committed to all employees both safety and financially” and “as part of the emirates family we will face these challenges together and become stronger together”

Then the half pay started, then the emails “meeting tomorrow” ,employees marched around the training center to be dismissed form the country with 3 months notice. Based on the “matrix.” Generally the more seniority you had , the less likely you were to stay.

More emails in June July and October . Many pilots landing from flights to check if they had an email.

Every time another batch left , a media interview from the ceo to suggest things are good.

The flight ops weekly update missed 3 weeks after the first round of redundancies, and when we did finally receive an update , not even a mention of all those dedicated pilots now in the biggest chaos of their lives. The next update the same and finally 6 weeks after , with many pilots already left , an acknowledgment of some leaving the business.

1600 pilots on the a380 before Covid and over 1000 of those many redundant without any reimbursement of their months of half pay, the highest redundancy on any one fleet in the industry , 400 on unpaid leave , without any medical insurance initially (just life and death) and 200 lucky locals (different rules for them ) and trainers allowed to fly the line.

All redundant pilots received registration of interest to return and then many were told a year later that they will not be returning without reason .

This is not and never will be place for a long stable career , for all the top gun mavericks who wish to join consider carefully the implications of leaving secure jobs to join emirates. A slightly stressful medical and an extra referral for an ecg will be counted against you and would likely result in your ultimate termination should business not go as smoothly again.

Make sure you know what you are signing up for and more importantly what you are leaving. For the pilots I foresee joining us shortly , I’d imagine what you are leaving is very little.

SaulGoodman
1st Jul 2022, 05:13
I find it very interesting to read of all the Covid-kids joining our ranks shortly. Over the years the standards have slowly slipped which can easily be seen from the training seat. Many who joined just prior to Covid are having issues after two years off because a lack of experience, and we have done very little over Covid to attract real talent to the business.

I find it amusing to read these same magenta pilots writing on this forum asking where to eat in Dubai , no doubt bringing the wife and kids to Dubai for a week of shopping malls , 600 dirham brunches, skydiving and desert tours all convincing themselves that Dubai is just the place for them.

Standards always have dropped AFTER the writer of the post was hired. Face it, EK never was, and never will be the first choice of airline for 99% of the candidates. You can’t blame it on the new joiners, certainly shortly after COVID, as they might have been out of work as well.

nimrodjoe
1st Jul 2022, 06:31
Emirates has become the last choice for proper pilots because of the contempt they dealt employees with in the pandemic and since , completely differently to proper airlines in the west and morale is at rock bottom now. We will now recruit the 26 year old bendy cap baby face Beckhams who can clean up in Monday Madness but struggle to fly a raw data ils without a reset. We used to set the standards in the industry , pilots held gravitas , competence, professionalism, sad to see what we have become.

SaulGoodman
1st Jul 2022, 07:32
Emirates has become the last choice for proper pilots because of the contempt they dealt employees with in the pandemic and since , completely differently to proper airlines in the west and morale is at rock bottom now. We will now recruit the 26 year old bendy cap baby face Beckhams who can clean up in Monday Madness but struggle to fly a raw data ils without a reset. We used to set the standards in the industry , pilots held gravitas , competence, professionalism, sad to see what we have become.

Excuse me but please enlighten me when it was exactly, that EK pilots “set the standards”. Such a load of arrogance horse maneur.

airbuspilot944
1st Jul 2022, 15:06

Since when does the age come into the factor of flying? Getting maturity with age is understood, but flying raw data? I have seen people with 20 years of flying experience ****ting with their raw data.

flyTheBigFatLady
2nd Jul 2022, 04:47

for setting standards this company has a lot of bend metal in its history.
the only standard which was set is how to demotivate, threaten and how to manage by fear. No major airline (LH,Swiss,KLM,AA,DL,UPS etc) threats their pilots as EK or the other ME3 do.

AIMINGHIGH123
2nd Jul 2022, 09:11
First world problems.

Meanwhile back in Europe:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/980x2000/8c52ea40_e674_4cb7_a4b1_b44379668542_1308284772c6853856a6e01 f2c3f90ad76b2b1b9.jpeg

nimrodjoe
2nd Jul 2022, 18:16
Still more appealing than living here . Your contract with ek is until your next sim
or medical .

Spongeboeing
5th Jul 2022, 10:49
Still more appealing than living here . Your contract with ek is until your next sim
or medical .
Your contract in aviation is always until your next medical. Always... everywhere.
If you have the feeling that your sim performance is such that you're always on the limit of failing then there's something wrong with you and if that low performance would save your job in a different company, then there's something wrong with that company.

flyTheBigFatLady
5th Jul 2022, 13:37
Your contract in aviation is always until your next medical. Always... everywhere.
If you have the feeling that your sim performance is such that you're always on the limit of failing then there's something wrong with you and if that low performance would save your job in a different company, then there's something wrong with that company.
EK is very special on that part - even if you don’t feel like your on the edge you easily can just because a trainer decides a minor nonsense is a big story - I have seen a trainer lying and it’s not the only time he did it - not help from management or what so ever. And if it’s not a trainer it could be the training manager who changes your result over night just because he didn’t like to see what’s written or had a misinterpretation on - all that happens in EK and many had been victims of it. While in other companies their is a fair way of approaching such an issue there is absolute nothing in terms of support from the special selected management - trainers and training management knows it and they don’t care, because they know they are protected. Especially on airbus where the the little man Syndrom CPA will never go against a trainer or training result unless it is his own

nimrodjoe
5th Jul 2022, 13:59

When is your start date? Trainers have recently been told to “soften the objectives” to make way …

AIMINGHIGH123
5th Jul 2022, 15:19

Agree with this. Often the ones moaning the trainer is against them etc etc never blaming themselves have other issue's.

Honestly some people think once they got the job that’s it.

I think nimrodjoe, you need to leave aviation completely. A lot of negative posts from you.

nimrodjoe
5th Jul 2022, 16:18

You have a lot to learn about EK and life in the Middle East my friend. Good luck

Kennytheking
5th Jul 2022, 17:55
Agree with this. Often the ones moaning the trainer is against them etc etc never blaming themselves have other issue's.

I think nimrodjoe, you need to leave aviation completely. A lot of negative posts from you.

Spot on:ok:

Shazeem
6th Jul 2022, 00:16

The last comment I find immature.
​​​​​Just make sure to leave the business as well when you are negative. I think we wouldn't have many pilots flying noeadays if we would listen to your advice.

When trainers have to think carefully what wording they use in a pamflet, something is wrong. When they are called up by the wasta manager and have to defend themselves...something is wrong. Choice to make..giving up the precious STAR or becoming a TRE. As most of us are mercenaries the choice has already been made.
​​​​​
And we all have heard of persons who were axed. And we say that these guys must have done something very wrong etc. Sometimes that is true. Many times it is not.

You have stay in survival mode. Denial plays an important role. The more time you spend here, the more aware you will become. That said...some of us are still in the running for 1st place in the World Championship Denial held at the HQ. I made it to the 4th round ;)

AIMINGHIGH123
6th Jul 2022, 09:16
​​​​​Just make sure to leave the business as well when you are negative. I think we wouldn't have many pilots flying noeadays if we would listen to your advice.

When trainers have to think carefully what wording they use in a pamflet, something is wrong. When they are called up by the wasta manager and have to defend themselves...something is wrong. Choice to make..giving up the precious STAR or becoming a TRE. As most of us are mercenaries the choice has already been made.
​​​​​
And we all have heard of persons who were axed. And we say that these guys must have done something very wrong etc. Sometimes that is true. Many times it is not.

You have stay in survival mode. Denial plays an important role. The more time you spend here, the more aware you will become. That said...some of us are still in the running for 1st place in the World Championship Denial held at the HQ. I made it to the 4th round ;)

Well I did exactly that to get into aviation.

I had a career before, trained to be a pilot at the same time. After qualifying it took me 5 years to start flying. 3 of those years I just stayed in my previous career getting frustrated hating it everyday. The pay was ok and I was “comfortable”. A mate of mine at work said “look you have to leave completely or you will be a lifer here”. Took me another 6 months but yes I did that taking a job at an airport. Best decision I ever made. It was half the pay but I came alive, even though it wasn’t flying I loved it.
At my previous outfit I flew with people exactly like nimrod. They would moan so much, hating the company, hated flying, earlies, lates, management, passengers the whole lot. Company went under and all those that really hated it have moved on and retrained, driving instructor, signaller, own businesses (half a dozen done this), lecturers, fireman. When they found out I got back in the flight deck they said well done to me, most of them said they needed that push to get out of aviation. A brutal way for it to happen. The ones I have kept in touch with said they didn’t realise how unhappy they were until it was over. Some of them also were the ones saying the company is against them. Had a bad SIM score etc etc.

To me Nimrod and some others it might not be just EK and ME annoying you but a combination of everything. Many have the dream of flying but aviation is tough if you’re not enjoying it. I met a guy who was a Lufthansa cadet. He stayed the minimum time and left aviation completely. He loved the dream but hated the reality.

For me it’s not an EK dream but living in Dubai. We have friends there, some of them have lived there for 25 years!!! Not in aviation. My kids love going on holiday there, seeing our friends plus everything else. Yes living there is different, like I said we have friends there and for me my Mrs is from the ME, growing up in the area. My situation is different. They would have stayed but had to evacuate during Gulf 1.

Anyway completely off topic now.

Fired600
6th Jul 2022, 10:06
​​​

It’s interesting to thus note that all of the ‘bad eggs’ must have been on the Boeing and the ‘good eggs’ on the Airbus. The vast majority, save for a few of the most junior FOs let go on the Boeing, were not rehired where as Airbus guys were rehired on mass.

I know it just must be a coincidence……just saying

flyTheBigFatLady
6th Jul 2022, 10:36

If 150hr flying in the last 12 month is no negotiable for HR, than this is absolutely absurd statement from that manager as they are the bloody reason that some applicants did not fly in the past 2 years - if this is true as a statement from HR then it is the dummest thing ever came from an EK manager, but plausibel as far I know EK management

VarigMD11
6th Jul 2022, 12:54
If 150hr flying in the last 12 month is no negotiable for HR, than this is absolutely absurd statement from that manager as they are the bloody reason that some applicants did not fly in the past 2 years - if this is true as a statement from HR then it is the dummest thing ever came from an EK manager, but plausibel as far I know EK management

It doesn't affect pilots previously employed by EK. Only new hires as far as I am aware.

5star
6th Jul 2022, 13:19

​​​​​

All the guys I know and who were axed from the Triple had 1 major illness in their carreer. Some had cancer, some a broken leg etc, basically something that was certified by an EK doctor!
During covid, a few locals, we all know the names, decided that anyone in that health category had ‘abused’ the system and they used the covid void to bin all these guys in 1 go. Most were very very good guys….
Ask any of the guys who now has a new job if they would ever go back….Guarantee you it will be near zero if not zero!
Any how, good luck in the toxic sandpit. I’m over the moon I’m out. Stockholm syndrome as per usual. People only wake up once they’re out!

nimrodjoe
6th Jul 2022, 18:49
Spot on:ok:

The problem is, you don’t really know about the culture and environment until you work in EK.

We have all heard the stories of say, the former A380 Captain who had cancer and was dismissed in COVID 19 and is now working in a supermarket , the many guys who’s family has left him alone in Dubai and moved back to their home country for whatever reason, the senior pilot who had a night in the sim which resulted in a further check with the pressure on and ultimately his deportation from the country. I often hear the argument that “this will never happen to me”. It doesn’t matter how good you think you are at flying , or how fit you think you are for the medical , you are an expat . You are not a local and you will be treated accordingly.

Emirates dismissed many pilots over COVID , including guys who had served for a number of decades. After they were told they would lose their lives , their homes , there kids lives , their kids schools , their wife’s lives , their incomes , their careers , the company didn’t even acknowledge this for 6 weeks. These were people who dedicated their lives to Ek refused the right to leave with dignity because of the implications of media attention should they acknowledge the redundancies.

It’s often argued by a small minority of egocentric individuals that this would “never happen to me” I’d suggest that some may actually get off a little bit when they can put themselves in a different bucket. The fact remains that all pilots who leave their home countries to be an expat and fly in Emirates are vulnerable . This is often reflected in performances inside the sim and on the line with decisions made in an environment of fear of implications to your career and families security.

It is certainly possible that a pilot who attended a medical and shown to have a low white blood cell count may be off for a few weeks of sickness and this would make them very unattractive to HR on a continued career in the carrier . Regardless of decades served and proficiency in the role , it’s done.

I don’t suggest that Emirates is bad career decision for every pilot but it’s important to know the stakes and the security in the job . The competitive salary comes with other costs . There will always be those selling the dream ,inspiring people with images of them driving down the marina in a new shiny Porsche or Tesla which I certainly wouldn’t advise as a good use of your money FWIW.

I am surprised to see new joiners moving to the UAE soon recently armed with the knowledge from strangers on here that the best place to live would be downtown or the marina. It seems strange to me that pilots who have already passed the assessment have knowledge exceeded by a quick google search and is a reminder of limited understanding of what they are getting involved in pre joining.

I wish those who join all the best and I am sure many will have an enjoyable time in the UAE.

Shazeem
7th Jul 2022, 05:54
The problem is, you don’t really know about the culture and environment until you work in EK.

We have all heard the stories of say, the former A380 Captain who had cancer and was dismissed in COVID 19 and is now working in a supermarket , the many guys who’s family has left him alone in Dubai and moved back to their home country for whatever reason, the senior pilot who had a night in the sim which resulted in a further check with the pressure on and ultimately his deportation from the country. I often hear the argument that “this will never happen to me”. It doesn’t matter how good you think you are at flying , or how fit you think you are for the medical , you are an expat . You are not a local and you will be treated accordingly.

Emirates dismissed many pilots over COVID , including guys who had served for a number of decades. After they were told they would lose their lives , their homes , there kids lives , their kids schools , their wife’s lives , their incomes , their careers , the company didn’t even acknowledge this for 6 weeks. These were people who dedicated their lives to Ek refused the right to leave with dignity because of the implications of media attention should they acknowledge the redundancies.

It’s often argued by a small minority of egocentric individuals that this would “never happen to me” I’d suggest that some may actually get off a little bit when they can put themselves in a different bucket. The fact remains that all pilots who leave their home countries to be an expat and fly in Emirates are vulnerable . This is often reflected in performances inside the sim and on the line with decisions made in an environment of fear of implications to your career and families security.

It is certainly possible that a pilot who attended a medical and shown to have a low white blood cell count may be off for a few weeks of sickness and this would make them very unattractive to HR on a continued career in the carrier . Regardless of decades served and proficiency in the role , it’s done.

I don’t suggest that Emirates is bad career decision for every pilot but it’s important to know the stakes and the security in the job . The competitive salary comes with other costs . There will always be those selling the dream ,inspiring people with images of them driving down the marina in a new shiny Porsche or Tesla which I certainly wouldn’t advise as a good use of your money FWIW.

I am surprised to see new joiners moving to the UAE soon recently armed with the knowledge from strangers on here that the best place to live would be downtown or the marina. It seems strange to me that pilots who have already passed the assessment have knowledge exceeded by a quick google search and is a reminder of limited understanding of what they are getting involved in pre joining.

I wish those who join all the best and I am sure many will have an enjoyable time in the UAE.

I totally agree. Just some food for thought when you are working here. You will understand and get more insight why people behave in a certain way. And you can use it in your personal risk assessment and management.

That said, it would be good to focuss on the good things and try to avoid to get submerged into the fear culture. Know you will always be a guest and should behave accordingly. Also towards other guests.

nimrodjoe
8th Jul 2022, 22:25
Agree, but those who haven’t joined have a choice.

There isn’t many other major airlines where all their pilots have felt the requirement to ensure their “2nd” license is current for the foreseeable.

Ramones
10th Jul 2022, 08:11
I totally agree. Just some food for thought when you are working here. You will understand and get more insight why people behave in a certain way. And you can use it in your personal risk assessment and management.

That said, it would be good to focuss on the good things and try to avoid to get submerged into the fear culture. Know you will always be a guest and should behave accordingly. Also towards other guests.
There are only two things to bare in mind when you accept to work in any of the middle east companies:
1) the T&Cs they don't even value the price of paper you will sign. They can/will change in one minute unilaterally.
2) you are /remain a Guest, needed mybe, but not liked
All the rest is xxxhit, personal risk assessment?
Please don't say xxxxxz, you will be the first to complain.

numichem
10th Jul 2022, 12:39
disregard_

Emma Royds
11th Jul 2022, 07:39
Excuse me but please enlighten me when it was exactly, that EK pilots “set the standards”. Such a load of arrogance horse maneur.

Go back twenty years ago. Plenty joining then gave up careers at reputable legacy airlines to come to EK.

Whitemonk Returns
11th Jul 2022, 08:19
Go back twenty years ago. Plenty joining then gave up careers at reputable legacy airlines to come to EK.

Which means it was the Legacy carriers who set the standards, and not EK pilots

SaulGoodman
11th Jul 2022, 09:18

there might have been a few maybe. That is far from “setting the standards!”

Writing BS like that has only one purpose unfortunately, to make the writer feel better about himself and/or his decisions.

flyfast123
11th Jul 2022, 10:15
So, I’ve been here 10 plus years so that gives me an insight into the company and the country.

what I will say is that this thread is full of people who compare euro/us legacy carriers to the ME. DONT. IT IS NOT.

End of shouting!

could covid have been handled better, YES. But it could have been handled better everywhere. The ME did what it needed to to try and survive as it saw fit. It did not mirror what happened in Europe and had no need to. Whether it pays for it now remains to be seen. Comparing what EK or EY did to LH is pointless. It just makes the poster feel better.

should you come to the ME??? Well who knows? I have had 10plus years and made the most of it. It doesn’t mean it’s great but I know the pitfalls and the benefits. I know I do not have social security and union benefits and that if they really wanted they can terminate me. BUT I KNOW that. Why try and argue that there are no safeguards. I KNOW THERE ARE NONE. That’s what I signed up for. If I wanted that I would have stayed in Europe. Stop comparing apples and oranges.

when it comes to those made redundant thru covid. Could it have been better? Sure. But it’s their train set. It is what it is. We are permanently terminable. If you join, you accept that. You cannot put 1st world standards on this place. They are mercenary and commercial. It is about ensuring the survival of the business and country.

you join knowing your place and make the most of it. Do I want to earn peanuts in euroland working for a LCC with some supposed social rights. NO! I accept the place and in return I earn an OK salary without tax.

‘‘tis what it is’.

flyTheBigFatLady
11th Jul 2022, 13:52
So, I’ve been here 10 plus years so that gives me an insight into the company and the country.

what I will say is that this thread is full of people who compare euro/us legacy carriers to the ME. DONT. IT IS NOT.

End of shouting!

could covid have been handled better, YES. But it could have been handled better everywhere. The ME did what it needed to to try and survive as it saw fit. It did not mirror what happened in Europe and had no need to. Whether it pays for it now remains to be seen. Comparing what EK or EY did to LH is pointless. It just makes the poster feel better.

should you come to the ME??? Well who knows? I have had 10plus years and made the most of it. It doesn’t mean it’s great but I know the pitfalls and the benefits. I know I do not have social security and union benefits and that if they really wanted they can terminate me. BUT I KNOW that. Why try and argue that there are no safeguards. I KNOW THERE ARE NONE. That’s what I signed up for. If I wanted that I would have stayed in Europe. Stop comparing apples and oranges.

when it comes to those made redundant thru covid. Could it have been better? Sure. But it’s their train set. It is what it is. We are permanently terminable. If you join, you accept that. You cannot put 1st world standards on this place. They are mercenary and commercial. It is about ensuring the survival of the business and country.

you join knowing your place and make the most of it. Do I want to earn peanuts in euroland working for a LCC with some supposed social rights. NO! I accept the place and in return I earn an OK salary without tax.

‘‘tis what it is’.

word from someone who still has a job, an opportunity. A lot of the redundant and rejected ones have nothing. Due to the way EK handled Covid, have list everything. But that’s ok it does not effect the not effected ones.

Kennytheking
11th Jul 2022, 14:20
But that’s ok it does not effect the not effected ones.
Just because some of us were not affected does not mean we do not have an opinion.

As flyfast says, it is what it is. If EK does not meet your expectations then adjust your expectations because EK is not going to change to meet your expectations.

AIMINGHIGH123
11th Jul 2022, 14:47
Just because some of us were not affected does not mean we do not have an opinion.

As flyfast says, it is what it is. If EK does not meet your expectations then adjust your expectations because EK is not going to change to meet your expectations.

Thats exactly the way I see it.

You should know you are joining as an expat and being an expat will be the same in pretty much any company/country.

Yes being from the UK we have “help” from the government but we received £0. If you have savings over £12k you get 0 help. The only way you really get help is to have nothing, no savings, no property and be renting.
We still got to pay the mortgage, bills which are 50% up this year, kids nursery fees (£2500 a month for 2). Ok the government paid a bit during the initial lockdown but there were caveats to it. It wasn’t a free for all and we didn’t fit the rules.

I only know J2 who have had 7% or something pay rise this year. The rest 0.
Is what it is and with inflation over 10% this year certainly in the UK and most airport employees have to drive to work with fuel at £2a litre the next 5 years will be savage.

nimrodjoe
11th Jul 2022, 15:18
Yes being from the UK we have “help” from the government but we received £0. If you have savings over £12k you get 0 help. The only way you really get help is to have nothing, no savings, no property and be renting.

where have you got this rubbish from ? Absolutely clueless particularly the bit about property and requirement to rent . Wow

never mind the furlough scheme put in place to retain jobs whilst Dubai sacked everybody.

Good luck 👍

flyTheBigFatLady
11th Jul 2022, 18:09
where have you got this rubbish from ? Absolutely clueless particularly the bit about property and requirement to rent . Wow

never mind the furlough scheme put in place to retain jobs whilst Dubai sacked everybody.

Good luck 👍

unfortunately in Germany it’s exactly that way.
if you have some sort of savings or a property there will be no help from the state.
And for the part of registering yourself unemployed, where there is usually a help, most expats are on their own because they did not contribute to the system for a good amount of years and therefore they loose their eligibility. So yes after being sacked by EK you are on your own until you find a job, which from a certain age on is nearly impossible.

nimrodjoe
11th Jul 2022, 20:13
Can not believe that there is educated pilots on here comparing western Europe to the Middle East. :ugh:

95 percent of guys I know in the UK would never dream of leaving their position to come to the Middle East.

AIMINGHIGH123
11th Jul 2022, 22:02

Good luck 👍

Where have I got this from? Erm when I signed on to universal credit. You fill in a section that says savings etc. I spent hours on phone calls and because we had a little nest egg it meant we were entitled to nothing. The guy on the phone told me it’s better if you get rid of your savings. Ok so my mortgage is £1500 a month, Childcare £2500 a month, utilities £150 a month, food £600 a month. These are the bare basics of our out going’s and we live in a flat. Who’s going to pay that? Mate I have been through the system. There were caveats to the furlough scheme. It wasn’t you retain your full salary but a set amount that for high earners was pretty useless unless your employer was willing to top up your pay. Banks still want paying. You can’t just say to a bank can I not pay my mortgage. They don’t care. You should see the financial stats coming out of the UK right now. Many on the breadline, taken out huge mortgages at 80-90 LTV etc. It’s horrible and only going to get worse

Sorry forgot council tax which is £2500 a year.

This is before you start adding on cars, TV packages, clothes for kids etc and god forbid going out. My cousin came back from Australia first time since 2018 and she’s shocked but how bad it is here now.

Shazeem
13th Jul 2022, 06:41
There are only two things to bare in mind when you accept to work in any of the middle east companies:
1) the T&Cs they don't even value the price of paper you will sign. They can/will change in one minute unilaterally.
2) you are /remain a Guest, needed mybe, but not liked
All the rest is xxxhit, personal risk assessment?
Please don't say xxxxxz, you will be the first to complain.

Inventing the wheel is not so hard nowadays. Doing a proper risk management is harder, it seems. Either outcome (could be complaining, putting your head in the sand etc.), take action.
​​You do need to use ratio and some intelligence.

Leave your ego behind because either way you will have to bend over. Subsequently treating other people like sh*t will not make you feel better in the longterm.​​​​​

PPRuNeUser0216
19th Jul 2022, 21:13
Having been part of some of our roadshows in the past I know what rubbish they are pumping guys with in hotel conference rooms around the world to try and tempt them to leave decent jobs to join us. Do some research before you commit your life to Dubai!!!!

hunterboy
20th Jul 2022, 12:20
I went to one in Madrid about ten years ago. The majority of the guys were Air Europa and Iberia. What was interesting was when they eventually put the slide with the salaries up on the screen, they all stood up and left. I only stayed to get a free pen. I noticed they only gave me one though as it was supposed to be one per person !

sotis
21st Jul 2022, 11:05
Hey all,

kind regards,

M.A.
Hi there , are you type rates on A320 or B737 ?
I have applied too , since March , till now nothing .

PointOfNoReturn
25th Jul 2022, 08:12
Hi,

I would like to learn how is the process going on for applicants who have only 737 or 320 background. It is ok for the 30t criteria but in reality do we have a shot for now?

737 rated FO

Tortilla
25th Jul 2022, 10:02
Does anybody know, if actually EK organizers some tours for wife's, to show eventual accommodation in Dubai? My assessment in Dubai is in few weeks and we need to decide if my wife is coming with me or not.

HawqinsBooy
25th Jul 2022, 17:13
Does anybody boeing rated has been called recently ?

nimrodjoe
25th Jul 2022, 17:23
Does anybody know, if actually EK organizers some tours for wife's, to show eventual accommodation in Dubai? My assessment in Dubai is in few weeks and we need to decide if my wife is coming with me or not.

​​​​​​There is a carefully crafted bespoke Emirates-pilot’s-wives-luxury-life-taster-day which begins at the marina yacht club where a Don Perignon reception with caramelized fig and truffle canapés is waiting. The specialist host will then provide elite viewings of VVIP accommodation in the 5 Star accommodation at Meydan. This occasion allows guests to experience the grandeur of this hidden gem retreat before retiring to the polo and lacrosse club for a well deserved exclusive sunset.
​​​

Time Traveller
25th Jul 2022, 18:16
But there was once such a provision, wasn't there? Or was it Cathay?

Tortilla
25th Jul 2022, 19:29
​​​​​​There is a carefully crafted bespoke Emirates-pilot’s-wives-luxury-life-taster-day which begins at the marina yacht club where a Don Perignon reception with caramelized fig and truffle canapés is waiting. The specialist host will then provide elite viewings of VVIP accommodation in the 5 Star accommodation at Meydan. This occasion allows guests to experience the grandeur of this hidden gem retreat before retiring to the polo and lacrosse club for a well deserved exclusive sunset.
​​​

Sarcasm is not necessary.
I know that some years ago EK organized such a trips, showing any available villas or apartments. I know as well that Meydan is far away from luxury, but we don’t expect it. What we would like to know if it is the only place (company accomodation) we can be eventually located (2 + 2 + dog)

Tortilla
25th Jul 2022, 19:30
But there was once such a provision, wasn't there? Or was it Cathay?

For sure was. I wasn’t sure if still existed

BigGeordie
26th Jul 2022, 06:34
Tortilla, the accommodation department will put you where it wants to. This may or may not be Meydan - it could equally be a slightly tatty (or possibly very, very tatty) mid 80s (and not touched since - if you think Meydan isn't luxurious wait until you get put in one of these) villa in Al Safa - which is actually a good location. You won't be involved in the allocation process and are expected to just take the keys, smile and be grateful. It is equally possible that when you join there won't be any housing available (becuase they filled it all up with single FOs who would rather be anywhere else but aren't allowed to move out unless they buy somwhere) and you will have to rent, or buy if you are feeling lucky.

In short, don't worry about where you will end up living because you have zero control over it. It is a lottery.

nimrodjoe
26th Jul 2022, 10:27
You get what you are given with accommodation or forced to rent which is rapidly getting more expensive as bills go up. Beware of scams if this is the case.

Meydan south is one of the most miserable places I have visited in Dubai. The only people I have seen smiling here are those working in all day supermarket.

Tortilla
26th Jul 2022, 17:49
You get what you are given with accommodation or forced to rent which is rapidly getting more expensive as bills go up. Beware of scams if this is the case.

Meydan south is one of the most miserable places I have visited in Dubai. The only people I have seen smiling here are those working in all day supermarket.

For many reasons we would like to avoid rental in Dubai and we would prefer company accommodation, even if it’s far from perfect. Definitely would be good to find out how it looks, more or less, just to have an idea. Do you have any list of those neighborhoods? I know about Meydan H and S, or mentioned Al Safa, Silicon Villas(?), something else? Are they furnished or totally empty? Maybe we could inform ourselves a bit, before being surprised by company. We don’t need luxury but decent space and house that is in fair condition.
I would not move my family to live in 2-3 bed apartment, so allowance is not suiting me. If they would propose that, that would be no go.
I guess they inform in advance where they want to locate us?

nimrodjoe
27th Jul 2022, 07:40
I would look down the road in Alain, many families live there as it’s a short hop, skip and jump down the E66.

Sharjah is also quite appealing for those who want a bit more of a cosmopolitan lifestyle on a budget.

Emirates will ask if you want to live in or rent and will 99 percent of the time give you exactly what you want and you’ll of-course know what your accommodation is before you move out to the UAE.

The vast majority of pilot’s wives are really happy and they have in most cases furthered their careers in business, law and finance.

Meydan can be quite miserable, but generally everybody gets along really well and there’s a real community feel there.

I wouldn’t worry about a car as taxis are dirt cheap in Dubai and they are usually teslas. If you do buy, have a look at Dubizzle, lots of really good guys on there looking to give you a great deal and the cars usually have a 720-point-inspection.

Tortilla
27th Jul 2022, 13:47
I would look down the road in Alain, many families live there as it’s a short hop, skip and jump down the E66.

Sharjah is also quite appealing for those who want a bit more of a cosmopolitan lifestyle on a budget.

Emirates will ask if you want to live in or rent and will 99 percent of the time give you exactly what you want and you’ll of-course know what your accommodation is before you move out to the UAE.

The vast majority of pilot’s wives are really happy and they have in most cases furthered their careers in business, law and finance.

Meydan can be quite miserable, but generally everybody gets along really well and there’s a real community feel there.

I wouldn’t worry about a car as taxis are dirt cheap in Dubai and they are usually teslas. If you do buy, have a look at Dubizzle, lots of really good guys on there looking to give you a great deal and the cars usually have a 720-point-inspection.

Thanks for all the info.
In case, I would even consider to ship my own car here, after I would check if it makes any sense.
Anyway, still I need to pass last part of selection and medical ;)

Capn Rex Havoc
27th Jul 2022, 14:03
And Torilla,

Further to NimrodJoes advice,

Meydan South is an amazing residence, Emirates spared no expense to build best world quality accommodation, The fittings and furnishings are top quality. Also the security personal there are the friendliest blokes, will bend over backwards to help you out. They are great guys to have over for a few beers and a bbq.

Dropp the Pilot
27th Jul 2022, 14:24
Here's a setting one can use if you'd like to converse with adults.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/808x110/screen_shot_2022_07_27_at_7_26_33_am_f943eacf906ecab1f493e63 f23b4a57eb9921a98.png

jameslee92
27th Jul 2022, 14:56

Can you talk about your process?
Which type and how many hours do you have?
When have you applied? From their first contact how long is the waiting for the next steps?

nnanR
27th Jul 2022, 16:49
Hi guys, is there anyone who managed to schedule a date for the panel interview?

Tortilla
27th Jul 2022, 17:44
Can you talk about your process?
Which type and how many hours do you have?
When have you applied? From their first contact how long is the waiting for the next steps?

Sure, I hope it will help.
I’m FO on a320, a bit more then 4000h
I applied in winter 2022, they contacted me after few weeks and now my trip to Dubai is planned for late August.
First was very short phone call, maybe 3-5 min. After that I got choice of the dates for Hire Vue. As I remember 5 questions, recorded, short time to prepare. You can see how it looks like on YT. After passing that stage I got a link to psychometric and abstract thinking test. I used LPJ to prepare for it.
Next was panel interview: 1 pilot, 1 HR - very nice atmosphere. Mostly questions about your motivation, most difficult flight, general experience etc. No technical questions. Was around 45 - 50 min. After 3-4 days I got information with invitation for last stage in DXB.
How fast will be next stage depends on you as well cause they send you choice of dates. Was from 1 week to 4 weeks between each stage, now bit longer waiting for Dubai, but they will ask you to send 3 periods for travel

nimrodjoe
28th Jul 2022, 06:29
[QUOTE=Dropp the Pilot;11268794]Here's a setting one can use if you'd like to converse with adults.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/808x110/screen_shot_2022_07_27_at_7_26_33_am_f943eacf906ecab1f493e63 f23b4a57eb9921a98.pngDropp the Pilot , weren’t you the one screen shotting Whatsapp conversations and sending them to management for the last two years ?

PPRuNeUser0216
31st Jul 2022, 06:31
Rumor has it, flydubai pilots are not welcomed in emirates anymore as many have left or planning to join emirates and its causing flydubai a headache to replace them

More from the Ryanair gutter then.

nimrodjoe
31st Jul 2022, 07:18
Rumor has it, flydubai pilots are not welcomed in emirates anymore as many have left or planning to join emirates and its causing flydubai a headache to replace them

Explains the “enhanced contracts” being offered to “experienced first officers” (without command experience) yet we all get 4 percent!!!!!

pedrothepilot
1st Aug 2022, 14:00
Have the job requirements changed at EK for FO's, I see now that 2000 >19T Jet time is required. Could have sworn its was 1500 not too long ago?

nimrodjoe
1st Aug 2022, 15:36
Have the job requirements changed at EK for FO's, I see now that 2000 >19T Jet time is required. Could have sworn its was 1500 not too long ago?

it was 5000 hours as well previously. I suggest you check emirates careers for up to date prerequisites instead of asking on here .

Spongeboeing
1st Aug 2022, 16:45
it was 5000 hours as well previously. I suggest you check emirates careers for up to date prerequisites instead of asking on here .
He's asking if anyone remembers them being 1500. He's not asking for the current requisites as he clearly knows they're 2000h..

nimrodjoe
1st Aug 2022, 16:58
Oh right, yes I remember them being 1500. Does anybody remember the limited edition gingerbread Christmas latte at costa ?

PPRuNeUser0216
2nd Aug 2022, 06:26
Flydubai has been more successful in having high quality candidates actually apply, interview and JOIN since the pandemic. EK has become a drunken dream but not a realistic option for serious pilots

Spongeboeing
2nd Aug 2022, 15:59
No but I do remember the green curry at the restaurant in Manazel tower

nimrodjoe
2nd Aug 2022, 18:06
Remember the expo badges :rolleyes:

level_change
3rd Aug 2022, 22:39
Does EK factor the flight time? How many hours do you really spend on the airplane per year including DH for cargo flights and so on? The only way I would ever work in the middle east again was if 900 hours a year mean 900 hours of real blocktime per year max, not counting 8 hours for a 16 hour flight to the US.

McToryMug
4th Aug 2022, 07:17
The hours are factored so they don't count towards your annual limit and you aren't paid for them neither. I have averaged close to 1100 hours a year (not including the pandemic). When you are coming close to the 900 hour limit prediction, they will roster you for ULRs to maximise your productivity.

Shazeem
4th Aug 2022, 07:18
Does EK factor the flight time? How many hours do you really spend on the airplane per year including DH for cargo flights and so on? The only way I would ever work in the middle east again was if 900 hours a year mean 900 hours of real blocktime per year max, not counting 8 hours for a 16 hour flight to the US.

Although your question is clearly rhetorical..
The chief of the regulator is the owner of the airlines. You know it will not change so don't come.
Max 2 (u)lr flight (4 legs) a month and lets say 1 month away on holiday if you are lucky. So 11 x 4 x 6 = 264 extra hours. Total max 1164 hrs under 'normal' circumstances.

Not taking into account any corona (longhaul) turnarounds..

​​​

SaulGoodman
4th Aug 2022, 10:50
The hours are factored so they don't count towards your annual limit and you aren't paid for them neither. I have averaged close to 1100 hours a year (not including the pandemic). When you are coming close to the 900 hour limit prediction, they will roster you for ULRs to maximise your productivity.

Why do the EU and the US even allow EK to operate into their airspace. 1100 hours annually is insane.

Kennytheking
4th Aug 2022, 11:58

Thats interesting - I get paid for all my hours including deadhead and factored:hmm:

SOPS
4th Aug 2022, 12:25
Thats interesting - I get paid for all my hours including deadhead and factored:hmm:

I don’t think pay was the question. It was how many hours you actually spend in the aircraft.

Kennytheking
4th Aug 2022, 12:43
I don’t think pay was the question. It was how many hours you actually spend in the aircraft.

Yes indeed. The pay crept into one of the answers and I was correcting the misinformation.

I have also never come close to 1100 hours but I can’t comment on what other people are doing.

level_change
4th Aug 2022, 14:13
Oh, so that is the same slavery scam rostering like 230 NM WEST, that will likely kill you before retirement age. Roger that SIR,

Maybe someone should mention that under their new job ads where they talk about 850 - 900 hours per year. They are just a bunch of cheating liars.

Emma Royds
4th Aug 2022, 14:31
Just to share that the camel skin drums are resounding to the tune of DECs. Nothing official but this is a rumour forum afterall and given the apparent increase in numbers that are leaving, it would not surprise me in the slightest.

McToryMug
4th Aug 2022, 20:09
Oh, so that is the same slavery scam rostering like 230 NM WEST, that will likely kill you before retirement age. Roger that SIR,

Maybe someone should mention that under their new job ads where they talk about 850 - 900 hours per year. They are just a bunch of cheating liars.

Yes not to mention time spent in the back of a sim. 1000 plus hours a year over the pole is not going to do your health any good in the medium long term. Scary.

PPRuNeUser0216
4th Aug 2022, 20:12
can someone confirm this, please? I have lad whos currently with flydubai who said Emirates won't hire anyone from flydubai directly. is this true

Even if it is a rule there is no requirement for any transparency so you need not be told or know.

iFunFlyer
5th Aug 2022, 03:03
Anyone know if they’re willing to accept applications from someone approx. 100hrs short of the stated requirements?

PPRuNeUser0216
5th Aug 2022, 06:24
Lots of guys leaving EK now for better jobs

nimrodjoe
5th Aug 2022, 06:45

I wouldn’t say better. I have recently flown with an FO rejoiner who is already leaving EK for a 5 year contract job in Vietnam. I tried to suggest that this wouldn’t necessarily be a great option but it was a waste of time. The BOE recently making a statement that a year long recession is on its way.

He had spent most of the pandemic fitting boilers in to houses in Ireland. Having been made redundant massively out of seniority the company probably had something minor against him.

Times have certainly changed though.

Fairey Seal
5th Aug 2022, 10:13
The negativity on this thread is laughable. There are people here asking genuine question about joining EK. With todays current environment, EK is a fantastic option. The salary is more than competitive, the housing is more than adequate, staff travel is excellent. Training has come a long way with the new EBT format. Most of the 'Bad Apples' have been removed from training or have left the company.

Furthermore, rumour has it that the requirements to join EK will drop to unfrozen ATPL. Opening the door for many new pilots to apply.

You know as well as I do, that there are restrictions as to how many Polar Flights you can operate in a given time.

Just to share that the camel skin drums are resounding to the tune of DECs. Nothing official but this is a rumour forum afterall and given the apparent increase in numbers that are leaving, it would not surprise me in the slightest.

With the imminent arrival of the A350, its possible that EK will open up to DECs with current ratings and time on type.

Why do the EU and the US even allow EK to operate into their airspace. 1100 hours annually is insane.

Because it's not true. If it were the case that EK were operating like this, they would be pulled up by regulators.

Fairey Seal
5th Aug 2022, 11:38

Where are the better jobs? Why are you spreading rumours?

City of Gold
5th Aug 2022, 12:15
Just having a read through the posts here, I think it important for anyone considering moving to UAE to ask someone who has first hand knowledge and experience in Dubai. Preferably someone who is actually in the company. Getting info from this lot on pprune is not a good way to build a picture of life in Dubai.

That being said, you need to have your eyes open. Keep you current license and ratings valid, be mindful that you are always 3 months away from going back to where you came from. Absolutely, enjoy your life in Dubai, but don't make it the be all and end all. Its not all beer and skittles here lads.

Training is absolutely as everyone here has said. Every time you open yourself up to the training department you have the possibility of loosing your job. There is no such thing as "NO JEOPARDY". Be careful.
Warning letters are part of life in Dubai, don't take them personally, frame them! Hang them in the bathroom!
The company accommodation is as everyone has said. Dismal! Poor quality and bad location. Only benefits are maintenance is free and there are no bills.
Seeing miserable trainers walking behind your villa every day really adds to the experience.

Buy a used Toyota or Nissan and keep it forever. Buy a cheap apartment so you can get out of the dismal company villas. Payed off in 4 years. Be smart with you money. Get the cheapest phone plan and don't get a TV package unless you want 1000 channels of rubbish. Don't take any advice from pilots. They are the worst people to listen to after our cabin crew.

Cabin Crew, have you ever met such a miserable bunch of people? Asking for a coffee is like asking for the fillings from their teeth. Say hello, and they'll ignore you.

Management. Where do we even begin. Never forget how they handled the pandemic. That's how they'll handle every crisis going forward. They'll disappear and reappear 3 months later and pretend everything is under control.

Sorry lads, it's not all bad, it can be a lot of fun every six months or so when you fly with a "good" crew.

Shazeem
5th Aug 2022, 12:50
Because it's not true. If it were the case that EK were operating like this, they would be pulled up by regulators.

Sure, so you are telling me I was imagining it when I flew more than the 900 hours in a year? :) Halas.

ICAO says the following:
The total flight time of the sectors on which an individual crew member is assigned as an operating crew member shall not exceed: 100 hours of flight time in any 28 consecutive days. 900 hours of flight time in any calendar year; 1,000 hours of flight time in any 12 consecutive calendar months.

Now are you an operating crew member when you are not behind the wheel? No. So strictly it is not illegal. They know their stuff and again no union to object against this "creative" solution to increase efficiency.

​​​​​

Fairey Seal
5th Aug 2022, 13:05
Sure, so you are telling me I was imagining it when I flew more than the 900 hours in a year? :) Halas.

ICAO says the following:
The total flight time of the sectors on which an individual crew member is assigned as an operating crew member shall not exceed: 100 hours of flight time in any 28 consecutive days. 900 hours of flight time in any calendar year; 1,000 hours of flight time in any 12 consecutive calendar months.

Now are you an operating crew member when you are not behind the wheel? No. So strictly it is not illegal. They know their stuff and again no union to object against this "creative" solution to increase efficiency.

​​​​​

So you didn't fly more than 900 hours. Sounds like you are looking for something to complain about. If you don't like it you can leave, right?
Try Ryanair, I'm sure you will have a better quality of life, far less hours and get paid just as well, after tax. Obviously.

nimrodjoe
5th Aug 2022, 13:41
The factored hours really are the thing killing people. It is indeed scary.

nimrodjoe
5th Aug 2022, 13:44
Where are the better jobs? Why are you spreading rumours?

Clue is in the name of the website fairy up

C. Bashar
5th Aug 2022, 15:39
Hi everyone
im a captain on hawker 800xp and havind 4100hrs grand total and on hawker having 3100hrs
I did apply to Emirates 2days ago.
Any advice
Hawker mtow id around 13 tons but I have more than 3100hrs on itThanks.

WrldWide
5th Aug 2022, 16:36
[QUOTE=Fairey Seal;11273323]Furthermore, rumour has it that the requirements to join EK will drop to unfrozen ATPL. Opening the door for many new pilots to apply.]

That sounds like a sign of lowering standards to fill seats. That doesn't happen in non-crisis situations.

flyTheBigFatLady
5th Aug 2022, 16:46
[QUOTE=Fairey Seal;11273323]Furthermore, rumour has it that the requirements to join EK will drop to unfrozen ATPL. Opening the door for many new pilots to apply.]

That sounds like a sign of lowering standards to fill seats. That doesn't happen in non-crisis situations.

If that is true,only if, EK managers should be ashamed, having set free 1000 pilots who where more than qualified, replacing them now with almost zero experience guys - what a disgust if true.

It says a lot of EK when lowering the requirements rather than recognizing and making up their mistake, not to take back everyone with the required respect.

nimrodjoe
5th Aug 2022, 19:33
[QUOTE=WrldWide;11273552]

If that is true,only if, EK managers should be ashamed, having set free 1000 pilots who where more than qualified, replacing them now with almost zero experience guys - what a disgust if true.

It says a lot of EK when lowering the requirements rather than recognizing and making up their mistake, not to take back everyone with the required respect.

lots of lives shattered, do they care? ole Mandy doesn’t look too bothered selling the dream

Shazeem
5th Aug 2022, 19:52
So you didn't fly more than 900 hours. Sounds like you are looking for something to complain about. If you don't like it you can leave, right?
Try Ryanair, I'm sure you will have a better quality of life, far less hours and get paid just as well, after tax. Obviously.

It seems very hard for people to understand. Again you need to have some intelligence. Thank you for your advice although it seems bad advice. I will wait until one of my two buckets is full. Good luck keeping your head in the sand.
​​​​

​​​​

City of Gold
5th Aug 2022, 22:06
It seems very hard for people to understand. Again you need to have some intelligence. Thank you for your advice although it seems bad advice. I will wait until one of my two buckets is full. Good luck keeping your head in the sand. ​​​​

Take what you can, give nothing back.

flyTheBigFatLady
5th Aug 2022, 22:07
[QUOTE=flyTheBigFatLady;11273555]

lots of lives shattered, do they care? ole Mandy doesn’t look too bothered selling the dream

it’s exactly what you say
loosing face is not an option
rather stick to bs and do everything to cover it, than loosing face and admit a mistake

Yorkshire_Pudding
5th Aug 2022, 22:51
So you didn't fly more than 900 hours. Sounds like you are looking for something to complain about.

FYI. 4 pilot ULR, you have operating crew and augmenting crew, rotating for home sector. Operating crew remain in seat roughly first half of sector. Augmenting crew vacate to bunks before belts in climb. That time in bunk (7-8 hours) does not count towards 900h, and neither does time on jump seat - only the stick time as cruise relief crew counts. However operating crew will count their entire sector block time, including bunk time.

If you flew 3 ULRs a month, this could be 270 hours in addition to your 900 hours. Maybe the rules have changed in last few years? I never came close to any FTL limits in my entire time, and flew 740h in my last year there (f/o).

nimrodjoe
6th Aug 2022, 00:06
WHY ARE EMIRATES CABIN CREW SO BAD AT GIVING US A COFFEE AND A SQUARE MEAL

I JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY they aren’t teaching them this in training.

level_change
6th Aug 2022, 00:23

Thanks for the laugh - the regulators in the EU don't even manage to stop or investigate the illegal practices and rule bending that has been going on for decades at various lowcost airlines that are directly under their "oversight", companies that have their offices a few blocks down the road, let alone expecting them to start messing with some rich kids from the gulf who own half of our prime real estate and are shareholders / clients in some of the largest european corporations. Nobody wants to **** them off for the sake of a few fatigued pilots. Do you mean the same regulators that have been overloaded with printing your licence copies for 7 weeks - they are going to save it?

"Apologies, According to the fake twisted records that were provided to us everything is 100% fine and generally we are not getting involved in industrial matters and if its a pressing safety matter chances are we are not responsible and we will forward the report to xyz, thanks bye " They are no better here than the local authorities in the gulf, probably in some ways worse, since people live under the false impression that our guys are "independent entities" who work in the public interest. Maybe sometimes they are, like when there are really no major financial interests at play.

The market dictates the conditions - the Middle East is just mirroring what happens in the EU and Asia with a bit of desert premium. The fight will be fought at home and probably on a very individual level - if it will be fought at all, while many are finding their luck in other industries before things can really improve to at least some degree of normalcy.

Good luck !

nimrodjoe
6th Aug 2022, 00:33
Thanks for the laugh - the regulators in the EU don't even manage to stop or investigate the illegal practices and rule bending that has been going on for decades at various lowcost airlines that are directly under their "oversight", companies that have their offices a few blocks down the road, let alone expecting them to start messing with some rich kids from the gulf who own half of our prime real estate and are shareholders / clients in some of the largest european corporations. Nobody wants to **** them off for the sake of a few fatigued pilots. Do you mean the same regulators that have been overloaded with printing your licence copies for 7 weeks - they are going to save it?

"Apologies, According to the fake twisted records that were provided to us everything is 100% fine and generally we are not getting involved in industrial matters and if its a pressing safety matter chances are we are not responsible and we will forward the report to xyz, thanks bye " They are no better here than the local authorities in the gulf, probably in some ways worse, since people live under the false impression that our guys are "independent entities" who work in the public interest. Maybe sometimes they are, like when there are really no major financial interests at play.

The market dictates the conditions - the Middle East is just mirroring what happens in the EU and Asia with a bit of desert premium. The fight will be fought at home and probably on a very individual level - if it will be fought at all, while many are finding their luck in other industries before things can really improve to at least some degree of normalcy.

Good luck !

But give them some credit , emirates did a good job in the pandemic keeping good pilots and removing all the bad apples and not just relying on seniority , standards have definitely improved. Sarcasm.

Dropp the Pilot
6th Aug 2022, 03:22
Worth mentioning it again it seems. Try it. You'll feel like you have discovered a cure for toe fungus or jock itch.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/814x110/screen_shot_2022_08_05_at_9_24_20_pm_c5e7f3f6bdc7057f74d48ee 241ffaaeae7ff9dd8.png

McToryMug
6th Aug 2022, 06:51

Good luck !

Agree, flown well over 1000 hours for every one of the last 6 years other than 2020.

PPRuNeUser0216
6th Aug 2022, 06:54
Looks like the new limit will be 1500 hours before you commence employment so I guess you could apply with less. DECs look likely too, as for the first time in a long term many are leaving for more secure and less toxic jobs.

City of Gold
6th Aug 2022, 07:50

Good luck !

That’s all a bit conspiracy theory to be honest.
I think you need to stop watching Loy Machedo on YouTube.

The problem that new guys will face realistically is how the rosters are managed.

Rostering of a ULR after a block of days off, so you can’t travel home, because you need to be acclimatised. This makes commuting very difficult.
Rostering of your recurrent training the day after your leave. So you spend your whole leave worrying about how your sim.
A bidding tool that, let’s be honest, doesn’t work.
Somehow, you get trapped on a certain destination or direction.
Biding for the last five days of a month and the first five of the next, in your second and top bid month, get it, and have a manually inserted flight dropped in.
Destroying your bid.
Off base notification, every time you leave Dubai you have to tell them where you are and for how long and how to contact you.

These things start to add up and they happen continuously.

And of course the fear culture. Which they tell us doesn’t exist.

Eyes open. You will face trainers that shouldn’t be allowed in training. You will be treated like you never saw an airplane before. There are one or two actual trainers, but unfortunately the vast majority of them will have you walking away from a flight saying wtf was that all about.

Fairey Seal
6th Aug 2022, 10:28

Why do you say lowering the standards?Most of the EK pilots are from SA and OZ.
Most have never flown proper regional operations. Most have never flow an aircraft more that 20T. We should be so lucky to attract guys from UK, Europe and North America.
Guys who have experience on Airbus and Boeing aircraft. Not guys who fly around on Kingairs pretending they are airline pilots. This kind of experience counts for nothing compared to guys who have been flying 320 and 737 types.
There are pilots who would be happy to have the opportunity to fly wide body aircraft and get a fast command. EK is an excellent opportunity with unmatched benefits.

nimrodjoe
6th Aug 2022, 10:44
https://careers.ba.com/job/heathrow/british-airways-direct-entry-pilot-first-officer/22348/32997618016

worth looking at for some of the younger aviators

SOPS
6th Aug 2022, 11:53

The problem that new guys will face realistically is how the rosters are managed.

Rostering of a ULR after a block of days off, so you can’t travel home, because you need to be acclimatised. This makes commuting very difficult.
Rostering of your recurrent training the day after your leave. So you spend your whole leave worrying about how your sim.
Biding for the last five days of a month and the first five of the next, in your second and top bid month, get it, and have a manually inserted flight dropped in.
Destroying your bid.
Off base notification, every time you leave Dubai you have to tell them where you are and for how long and how to contact you.

Eyes open. You will face trainers that shouldn’t be allowed in training. You will be treated like you never saw an airplane before. There are one or two actual trainers, but unfortunately the vast majority of them will have you walking away from a flight saying wtf was that all about.

Excellent post 👍👍👍

nimrodjoe
6th Aug 2022, 12:07
Definitely agree , many trainers who couldn’t be in training in any proper airline . CM’s linked in post about all pilots not being born equal shortly after 1500 pilot redundancies was an Ill time tribute to such arrogance.

Fairey Seal
6th Aug 2022, 18:03
Worth mentioning it again it seems. Try it. You'll feel like you have discovered a cure for toe fungus or jock itch.
I agree with you completely. EK is an excellent opportunity for new pilots and Dubai is a fantastic place to call home. Nimrodjoe is far too negative and only serves to put prospective pilots off joining EK.

nimrodjoe
6th Aug 2022, 18:35
not anytime soon

hope not new trainees coming through having huge problems in the sim but it seems we are desperate

enzino
6th Aug 2022, 19:51
How much difference do 500 hrs more on AP make? Maybe it's about the trainees' attitude.

nimrodjoe
7th Aug 2022, 09:06

Destroying your bid.

So so true

flyTheBigFatLady
7th Aug 2022, 10:26
I agree with you completely. EK is an excellent opportunity for new pilots and Dubai is a fantastic place to call home. Nimrodjoe is far too negative and only serves to put prospective pilots off joining EK.

may I ask you how long you are there?

Consol
7th Aug 2022, 22:02
may I ask you how long you are there?
Faireyseal has just joined pprune, has made seven posts, five of which were within a couple of hours on day 1, the rest on day 2. Faireyseal also claims to be current on six different types and appears to be very defensive of EK. Just makes you wonder.🤔

SOPS
7th Aug 2022, 23:16
Faireyseal has just joined pprune, has made seven posts, five of which were within a couple of hours on day 1, the rest on day 2. Faireyseal also claims to be current on six different types and appears to be very defensive of EK. Just makes you wonder.🤔

Is he posting from Costa perhaps?

flyTheBigFatLady
8th Aug 2022, 06:46
Is he posting from Costa perhaps?

sounds like it is from costa while he should sit 3rd floor up

flyTheBigFatLady
8th Aug 2022, 06:52

well, 250 new joiners until April 2020 where thinking the same thing, until the got a letter saying “sorry you no more” in June 2020, meaning to leave in 14 days. Those few did not even had time to sell the furniture which was still under delivery. It was great opportunity to loose everything.

nimrodjoe
8th Aug 2022, 06:58
Matcha tea and a cookie for me please fairly

flyTheBigFatLady
8th Aug 2022, 07:11

combining this one with your other posts it shows you clearly have no clue and no understanding of how long range flying works

nearly nobody did more the 900 block on controls equals stick time , but still they had been on duty on a flight for more than 1100 hours a year. Now I can see your brain working over this one. Shazeem explained already
When you fly Argumenting duties you will get
50% accounted on 4 man
66% accounted on 3 man

while on 4 man the crew swaps for return
at 2 lr or ulr flights a month you loose roughly 25% of your block time still sitting on the airplane watching the other guys doing what they do. If it’s bad you are made responsible in the same amount as the 2 in the front because you meant to monitor their doing while officially not even on duty - not paid - but made responsible
so your credited 900 block hours are only representing the stick you had not the time you where sitting there watch in uniform with the batch around your neck.
Make it up 900 + 25% to 30%
so on top of that you have a required off of 2 loc nights before and 56 hours with 2 loc nights after a ulr ( someone else please correct me if wrong) and that’s mostly what you got in between a ulr and any other flight you do unless it a east- west swap then it was a day more. But trust me doing 10 time zone west and than 10 time zone east with only 4 days inbetween are absolut killers

bottom line is yes u sit more than 1100hr a year on the airplane watching it flying

and if you don’t believe me have a look into your ek flight xls flight log online u will see that as argumenting crew on an a lax flight you only have a of max 6,5 hours as your block time, still your were onboard for 15,30 hr

Sure as you are sounding like a costa troll you only see airplanes in that amount throu the window at costa but from inside

Shazeem
8th Aug 2022, 07:56
Must be some deputy either from the 3rd floor or building A. Either way, Costa in the vicinity. To say Dubai is great..you must be a proud citizen. This propaganda makes sense. Or you have the misconception you are now one of them. You will learn.
If you are a new valued member of the busy recruitment team..you are just a puppet. Talk to your predecessors. No need to suddenly defend the company. You are still a replacable asset, a guest, a labourer doing as being told.

On topic,
Depending on your current situation working and living at EK might be better. Just know you will live there to work. Having a family is tough unless you don't want to see them often. My advice is to avoid the compounds. You will live and breathe EK together with the other mercenaries. I did assume you like spending time with your family. I have seen several families families falling apart because of some golddigger cabin crew. Most of them are ready to settle.

​​​​​​But to buy property in Dubai as an alternative? Think about it carefully. The allowance is available.
Your family will spend more time in Dubai than you because you will be working day and night. Experience what it is like to be in a 'golden' cage. Just have a backupplan prepared.

McToryMug
8th Aug 2022, 09:47
They work you till you die. Many new guys have no idea what they are getting into, shared with a new joiner recently who said 'I don't think Ill get a UAE passport'

Good gig for the locals, excluded from redundancies, easy roster, get their bids. Hard work for us plebs.

Adele Al Redhair
9th Aug 2022, 19:45

I can confirm that Fairey Seal was caught looking at PPRuNe in company time whilst he had a mountain of rosters to destroy..... sorry I mean make more efficient. I have directed for a final written warning to be issued. He is now allowed one visit to Costa per week and must consume it whilst standing in the corner of the office whilst facing the wall. This is only permitted during his lunch break.