PDA

View Full Version : Amy Johnsons Last Flight

Robert T
7th Mar 2022, 15:42
Hi,

On the day Amy died, 5 January 1941, does any one know the time she definitely left Blackpool and the time she crashed in the Thames Estuary?

I have times of 11.39 for departing Blackpool, and approx 15.40 when she ditched - meaning she was in the air for around 4 hours on a planned flight time of 90 minutes.

If anyone has confirmed times for either I would be grateful.

RobertT

Pypard
7th Mar 2022, 21:28
Wasn't she a Mollison by the time of her unfortunate demise?

Robert T
7th Mar 2022, 22:08
Wasn't she a Mollison by the time of her unfortunate demise?
At the time of her death I believe she had divorced Mollison by then. I believe she was First Officer Johnson in Jan 1941.

chevvron
7th Mar 2022, 22:42
I only recall what I read in 'Aeroplane Monthly' about 30 years ago; maybe you could try their archives. There was much speculation regarding what had happened during the 'missing' time, even running to landing elsewhere and re-fuellig for some 'clandestine' mission.
I must admit it was sad the way she died, apparently dragged into the propellor af a ship.

Robert T
8th Mar 2022, 08:08
I only recall what I read in 'Aeroplane Monthly' about 30 years ago; maybe you could try their archives. There was much speculation regarding what had happened during the 'missing' time, even running to landing elsewhere and re-fuellig for some 'clandestine' mission.
I must admit it was sad the way she died, apparently dragged into the propellor af a ship.
Thanks for the response. Not sure I believe in the landed somewhere else for secret mission, which I have also heard of. It would make sense of the missing time but I go with the view she made it to Kidlington but couldn't land due to weather. As whole of Southern England had poor weather I believe she simply stooged around waiting for a break in the cloud cover or better weather. Neither happened, she ran low on fuel and decided to ditch. By the way, I have found a source that confirms the times for Blackpool and the accident! So, whatever the truth, she was in the air for a long time. Thanks for your input.