View Full Version : B787 minimum Oxygen pressure and ENG Oil for dispatch

frustratedpilot
6th Mar 2022, 07:54
B787 FCOM states:
Verify that the following are sufficient for flight:

Oxygen pressure
Hydraulic quantity
Engine oil quantity

The Crew Oxygen Requirements section of the FCOM is rather complex for the crew to calculate the minimum requirement before every leg (6 tables spanning across 3 pages is an overkill!).
Unlike other aircraft types, the B787 FCOM does not define what is considered sufficient when it comes to engine oil.
For both oxygen pressure and oil quantity:

any idea where to find more information about this? The FCOM is supposed to provide sufficient guidance for the crew to operate an aircraft safely and legally, but it looks like Boeing has a different concept!
Have your airline established a specific baseline figure for the crew? If so, are these figures added to the FCOM or in a separate SOP document?

mustafagander
6th Mar 2022, 08:35
That looks like an excellent question for your fleet manager.

FullWings
6th Mar 2022, 10:47
On the 777 it shows LO against a highlighted oil quantity and RF against hydraulic quantity if the aircraft thinks they need servicing. Not sure if the 787 is similar? For us, fluid replenishment is an Engineering-only function and the FCOM does not define a minimum quantity for RR engines.

Roj approved
6th Mar 2022, 12:00
I seem to remember Oil qty was 13 Q +.5Q for every hour of flight

frustratedpilot
7th Mar 2022, 03:18
On the 777 it shows LO against a highlighted oil quantity and RF against hydraulic quantity if the aircraft thinks they need servicing. Not sure if the 787 is similar? For us, fluid replenishment is an Engineering-only function and the FCOM does not define a minimum quantity for RR engines.
Thanks FullEings.
Same on the 787, but waiting for the LO and RF indication is like taking whatever fuel in tanks and deciding where to go when the low fuel indication triggers :)
The crew are responsible for applying the FCOM procedures. I am not sure if airlines are permitted to modify this section of the FCOM; but I think Boeing should either provide sufficient guidance or remove the write-up from the FCOM if this is an engineering responsibility.

frustratedpilot
7th Mar 2022, 03:22
Thanks Roj approved. This seems logical, and I recall seeing something similar on other airplanes, but can't find any reference for the 787.

Roj approved
7th Mar 2022, 05:18
I've been off the aircraft for 4 years, so my memory isn't accurate.

Turns out it is in the "Company Procedures section" of the FCOM
• Carry out the remainder of the preliminary preflight procedures
(indicated engine oil quantity must be at least 12 liters plus 0.25 liters
per planned flight hour);

Cough
8th Mar 2022, 15:51
Our MEL in the oxygen section contains the minimum figures for dispatch ex base and downroute...

HOVIS
8th Mar 2022, 16:36
Engine Oil. Min recommended EICAS 12 QTS (GEnX)
However, if its ETOPS maintained then it should be serviced to full at each Transit check. Approx 21 on EICAS.

APU OIL LIMITS.

RUNNING. 3,75 OFF. 8.0

MAY BE OPERATED FOR 26HRS (if below)

AMM 12-13-04

Below 8.0 or 3.75 REFILL.

Two Crew Oxygen Requirements.

Min approx 500psi/660L

These are the requirements for one particular airline. EASA 145 approved.