PDA

View Full Version : in flight engine shut downs

eastern wiseguy
24th Aug 2002, 16:04
I was working as Tower controller with a trainee the other morning when a four engined turbo prop aircraft landed.The aircraft taxiied past the tower and we observed that it had one of the four engines closed down.I was a little puzzled as I did not expect it.The trainee was even more puzzled that I did not know what was happening(aren't mentors required to know EVERYTHING?:D ).I know that there was an elegant sufficiency of serviceable engines still running but might it not be policy to mention to ATC that you are closing one down as a precaution(Obviously if you have two ..or ONLY ONE:D the situation would have been somewhat more urgent!)Thanks for any replies.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Aug 2002, 17:48
I'm surprised you've never seen that happen before. The old Viscounts and Vanguards at Heathrow used to shut down two engines as soon as they'd landed..

scroggs
24th Aug 2002, 18:17
I flew C130 Hercules for many years. It was standard practice to shut down the outboard engines when taxiing after landing. We would not mention it to ATC, as there was no reason to. You can't see it of course, but you'll find that most 4-jets close down at least one after landing. It makes the aeroplane easier to control when light, as well as saving a little bit of fuel and engine life.

Background Noise
24th Aug 2002, 19:20
We do it quite often too on mil twin jets, even twins. (Once we have landed!)

Why.... ? reduces residual thrust so saving brake wear, possibly to save engine running time, or just to get ahead of the game or maybe because its cool!. ;)

I think you'll find its done on other jets too but you just won't notice it compared to a prop. I don't suppose you'll ever be told about it but it would be a tad unwise not to mention it if one did it whilst airborne.

(Edited to add the bit about it being after landing - DOH!)

Rabbit
24th Aug 2002, 20:14
ATR's always seem to taxi with one fan turning before and after flight. And just the other day I observed in FRA a big twin push out near me. They only started one then taxied. I followed them and they started the other when nearing the Take-off position. I don't think it is especially good airmanship before flight but if it is the company SOP then who am I to argue.

Have a nice day

eastern wiseguy
24th Aug 2002, 23:58
Thanks for the input chaps ..I have seen them shut down after landing ..My trainee swears that this one had one shut down on final and when quizzed the crew said it was a "precautionary shutdown "

BlueEagle
25th Aug 2002, 00:57
Eastern Wiseguy - If they had, as your last posts suggests, shut one down in the air as a precaution then it would rate as bad airmanship not to have told you, ATC, as well since this gives you an opportunity to plan ahead if anything further should go wrong or the landing turn nasty.

(That is just 'IMHO').