PDA

View Full Version : US Raid In Syria Killed ISIS Leader - Helo Lost

RAFEngO74to09
3rd Feb 2022, 13:16
Helicopter suffered a mecahnical failure - destroyed by an attack aircraft.

Biden says IS leader killed during US raid in Syria | AP News (https://apnews.com/article/biden-says-us-raid-syria-killed-islamic-state-group-leader-ca598136de014e008f746a35f6f721b0?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP)

RAFEngO74to09
3rd Feb 2022, 13:43
UH-60 Blackhawk variant

(1) Aldin 🇧🇦 on Twitter: "During the raid #US lost 1 helicopter to a technical malfunction, later it was bombed and destroyed in order to avoid been taken away by OPFOR. #Syria https://t.co/UEvOQhP8pQ" / Twitter

NutLoose
3rd Feb 2022, 13:55
Did it leave its tail hanging over a handy wall? ;)

MPN11
3rd Feb 2022, 14:25
Be honest, gentlemen ... that won't buff out.

However, nice targeting on the former Abu etc. etc.

RAFEngO74to09
3rd Feb 2022, 18:07
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FKrnv_NVEAEU8sS?format=jpg&name=medium
Tail Rotor Part No confirms UH-60 variant

ChrisJ800
3rd Feb 2022, 20:01
I wonder if it is army or navy special forces. Any ideas?

Obba
3rd Feb 2022, 20:31
Can you imagine being part of the Special Forces and hearing "We have a malfunction and we're going down....!!"

If the town is correct, the raid was launched from Turkey, as it's close - was too close - to the border.

gums
3rd Feb 2022, 22:22
Salute!

Not first time we CSAR folks had to destroy a helo after a pick up or other mission.

Look up Jackal 33.

Our bunch had to destroy the Jolly after it had been shot up real bad, but was able to make it to a Lima Site. At the time, our helos had some sensitive stuff aboard, and the rescue crew did not have the means to destroy everything.

Glad all came home ans sorry bout the folks that the bad guy suicide vest took with him.

Gums sends....

GlobalNav
4th Feb 2022, 05:03
Salute!

Not first time we CSAR folks had to destroy a helo after a pick up or other mission.

Look up Jackal 33.

Our bunch had to destroy the Jolly after it had been shot up real bad, but was able to make it to a Lima Site. At the time, our helos had some sensitive stuff aboard, and the rescue crew did not have the means to destroy everything.

Glad all came home ans sorry bout the folks that the bad guy suicide vest took with him.

Gums sends....

Right on, Gums!!!

Wannabe Flyer
4th Feb 2022, 09:14
These Jihad type leaders seemed to have moved to WFH a long time before Covid lead by Osama. Guess it is not really healthy for them in the long run once their courier networks get hacked.

Haraka
4th Feb 2022, 16:06
Did it leave its tail hanging over a handy wall? ;)

Seemingly not happened since May 2 2011 ( even then "allegedly") .......... :) with no subsequent type confirmation of a ( now obsolescent) type variant ......
I rested my case on that one years ago :)
Nothing has changed .

Herod
4th Feb 2022, 18:07
Whoever the next "Abu" is, he could always use that tail rotor. Put it on the wall as a memento mori.

NutLoose
4th Feb 2022, 18:33
Or as a reminder that next time he hears a helicopter heading his way, his ringpiece might start puckering in unison.

bobward
4th Feb 2022, 19:02
According to expert opinion in the Daily Telegraph, the helo was destroyed by a bomb from an F14.....
Quality journalism!

NutLoose
4th Feb 2022, 19:10
So Iran was involved ;)

ChrisJ800
5th Feb 2022, 04:45
The Daily Mail is reporting the 24 troops were Delta Force.

Old-Duffer
5th Feb 2022, 05:46
F14.....I ask you!

The quality of reporting in many newspapers is poor to awful. It is not helped that few, if any in the media, have had any experience or in depth interest in the military. The 'giants' of reporting military things are long departed and even some of those who are held up as 'experts' and are wheeled out at every occasion are frequently no longer up to date. Sign of the Times, I'm afraid.
Old Duffer

Herod
5th Feb 2022, 08:05
Nutty, Or as a reminder that next time he hears a helicopter heading his way, his ringpiece might start puckering in unison.

That's what I meant. You've put it in more interesting vernacular

olster
5th Feb 2022, 10:52
The media have virtually zero knowledge of aviation from the technical perspective hence the non sequitur rubbish one reads in the press. Carry that across to military matters and similar lack of understanding from the politicians with their virtually useless PPE or Classics degrees from Oxbridge. Just allows them access to the lifetime gravy train. Lack of respect for infinitely more challenging STEM subjects. Thatcher whether you agreed with her politics or not had a degree in Chemistry. Rant over.