PDA

View Full Version : A320 engine relight after EGT exceedance

Higgs boson
29th Jan 2022, 04:17
Here's the scenario. One of the engine experiences an EGT exceedance that triggers an ECAM to shut down the engine. The subsequent actions listed under ENG SHUTDOWN checklist calls for ENG RELIGHT if no damage is observed. Assuming that there was no damage observed, is it advisable to relight the engine?

iggy
29th Jan 2022, 15:45
If you start the engine, and again you get the same ECAM, you'd be shutting it down for the second time, right?

After this second time, the same ENG RELIGHT if no damage is observed would be called one more time, correct?

So, after having shut the engine down twice, would you attempt to relight it again?

hans brinker
29th Jan 2022, 17:02
Here's the scenario. One of the engine experiences an EGT exceedance that triggers an ECAM to shut down the engine. The subsequent actions listed under ENG SHUTDOWN checklist calls for ENG RELIGHT if no damage is observed. Assuming that there was no damage observed, is it advisable to relight the engine?

Had this due to the APU failing during engine start. Called maintenance, and was advised to try a manual (cross bleed) start. YMMV

Lantirn
29th Jan 2022, 19:44
Restart the engine after EGT exceedance? I mean, this requires techlog entry, and the engine has exceeded its limitations. How can you start again? Except if the limitations werent exceeded, I would call the maintenance.

Higgs boson
30th Jan 2022, 04:44
Restart the engine after EGT exceedance? I mean, this requires techlog entry, and the engine has exceeded its limitations. How can you start again? Except if the limitations werent exceeded, I would call the maintenance.
What I meant was if it were to happen after getting airborne. Also, ENGINE EGT OVERLIMIT is one of the various conditions listed that will call for a manual engine start on ground. Can't we carry out a Manual start in coordination with maintenance and make the techlog entry at your destination?

Higgs boson
30th Jan 2022, 04:45
Had this due to the APU failing during engine start. Called maintenance, and was advised to try a manual (cross bleed) start. YMMV
What I meant was if it were to happen after getting airborne.

Lantirn
30th Jan 2022, 07:07
What I meant was if it were to happen after getting airborne. Also, ENGINE EGT OVERLIMIT is one of the various conditions listed that will call for a manual engine start on ground. Can't we carry out a Manual start in coordination with maintenance and make the techlog entry at your destination?

If it’s on ground during the start sequence I would call the maintenance to be sure and with their approval (they would tell you to check some mcdu pages to check for the situation) I would try a manual start since the ECAM is about a potential overlimit and not an actual overlimit (red marker not visible case).

On the air, I wouldn’t restart the engine if actual overlimit occurred unless i hadn’t other choices. But that implies overlimit when the engine is at idle, and in that case something is wrong with that engine.

By the way: In IAE EGT overlimit is not an ECAM reason for ENG shutdown. Only N1,N2 overlimit. You only have to reduce below limit. However, you have to consider engine shutdown if the caution exists after bringing that engine at idle

hans brinker
31st Jan 2022, 05:15
What I meant was if it were to happen after getting airborne.

Yeah. did not read that carefully. I would interpret an EGT exceedance leading to shut down as engine damage and would probably not try to restart the engine. JMHO