PDA

View Full Version : A320 Low Fuel ECAM

Xwave101
28th Jan 2022, 00:38
Hi everyone,

So I recently did a simulator session with my airline which included a scenario where you don’t have the luxury of much fuel. The sim began with 1900kgs split evenly in the wing tanks, centre tanks remained empty. You begin the sim on the approach and the trainer gives you some sort of moderate level failure. I got given a gear not down locked issue. I decided to divert to another airfield which had a significantly longer and wider runway. I estimated getting on the approach there with final reserve.

I did my failure management and got on with the diversion, after crossing the T’s and dotting the I’s we did a successful landing with 880kgs on board when the aircraft vacated.

I thought I’d done a sterling job as did my sim partner but the trainer had other ideas. He was rather cross that when the L+R WING TK LO LVL appeared, I acknowledged it but decided not to action the request from ecam, which was to open the cross feed. The reason being we were starting the approach soon and I saw it has a distraction more than anything. I had briefed and anticipated this condition, plus with the gear now stuck down due to gravity gear extension, a go around would not have been feasible. But he was adamant that I had crossed a serious line by clearing that ecam without actioning it.

What would opening the cross feed have achieved? The wings were perfectly balanced with fuel before, during and after the approach. I’m just trying to make sense of the very hard line he took with this cross feed. His explanation was that if I was to go around it would have helped reduce the risk of fuel starvation.

Is there anything else you can tell me here to try and make me feel better why I got a telling off and a below average sim report? Ha

Thanks

Nightstop
28th Jan 2022, 15:43
I presume your Sim and aircraft have FWC STD H2-F7 modification status? In which case the correct procedure is to switch ON the Fuel X FEED, provided the crew confirm that the low fuel condition is not due to a fuel leak.
In addition, only if GRVTY Feed is in use shall the Fuel X Feed be selected OFF.

With Fuel X FEED ON both engines can be fed by either wing tank. No attempt should be made to balance fuel, so where is the increase in workload?
In the real aircraft, due to fuel pump output pressure differences between the L & R Wing Tank fuel line, there is likely to be a fuel imbalance develop as the wing tank with the higher fuel pressure output will empty first. Once that wing tank has emptied, the other tank will take over and supply both engines. There is no risk of flame out as long as there is fuel remaining in any wing tank and the fuel X feed valve remains open (even if one wing tank quantity display reads close to zero).

So, your Trainer is correct. By following the ECAM procedure and opening the Fuel X Feed valve you would have maximised the continued operation of both engines without flame-out of one due to fuel starvation.

Goldenrivett
28th Jan 2022, 16:41
What would opening the cross feed have achieved? The wings were perfectly balanced with fuel before, during and after the approach. I’m just trying to make sense of the very hard line he took with this cross feed. His explanation was that if I was to go around it would have helped reduce the risk of fuel starvation.

Hi Xwave101,
Before mod FWC STD H2-F7 was introduced (about 10 years ago), ECAM on A320 would have told you to close the Fuel X-Feed which was the opposite to every other aircraft I have ever operated. "Low Fuel Contents Procedure" on all other aircraft asked for all booster pumps on and Fuel X Feed Open - so that every last drop of useable fuel was available to all engines.

You say that "I had briefed and anticipated this condition" - so why not simply action the ECAM and open the fuel X Feed? It would have taken about 5 seconds - hardly a distraction above 1500 ft agl - and ECAM action complete.