PDA

View Full Version : AIRPORT....The Series (BBC)

Apollo 1
24th Aug 2002, 04:46
I have recently been informed by a fellow employee regarding a BBC Series a couple of years ago called AIRPORT. A documentry of sorts filmed at UK Airorts. Would Anybody have any information on how to obtain a "Legal" copy of this series? How many episodes? Any Info would be greatly appreciated. Please E-mail me any info.

Cheers!!!

Martin:)

Landing_24R
24th Aug 2002, 07:35
Hi Apollo,

Airport was a 'fly-on-the-wall" documentary filmed at London Heathrow- it was very popular here in the UK for a while, and quite a few series were made. Basically, it followed various people who worked at the airport around (mainly customer service types, although an ATCO was on it once) filming them doing their jobs. If you want more info, try going to the BBC website, www.bbc.co.uk and have a look round there.

A similar programme is "Airline"- that's still running here, and has been for ages. It's a similar sort of thing except about Easyjet. It mainly consists of the same stories every week- ie. passenger turns up late for flight, is told he's too late to check in, passenger goes off on a rant about how he'll never use the airline again, and you wouldn't get this on BA, passenger returns with tail between his legs and pays the £40 transfer fee etc etc. It's repetative but entertaining. There was a much better series (the first ever series of Airline) which was about Britannia- there was very little shouting on that one, it was more about the running of the airline. ITV filmed both, www.itv.co.uk

Cheers
Landing_24R

Unwell_Raptor
24th Aug 2002, 08:18
Both are repeated time and again on satellite and cable channels. You could make tapes off-air if you could find a ten year old kid to set the timer for you.

bodstrup
24th Aug 2002, 08:46
Is the Aeroflot entertainer (Jeremy ?) still around :-)

The series gave a nice view of some of the jobs you normally don't learn about, like the vet's taking care of all sorts and numbers of animals

Regards
Michael

Landing_24R
24th Aug 2002, 10:23
bodstrup,

I saw him on the panel in "Through the Keyhole" the other day. He gave up his job at Aeroflot to be a TV personality- apparently he presented a programme about people with the worst jobs in Britain for a while, but I don't think his entertainment career has taken off (excuse the pun) in quite the way he had hoped.

It's a shame, he looked like a man who enjoyed his job with Aeroflot.

Cheers
Landing_24R

aeroground
24th Aug 2002, 13:10
he is now with EAAC in BOH

canberra
24th Aug 2002, 18:54
airport is usually shown on uk horizons at 2030 mon-fri.

A300Man
24th Aug 2002, 19:32
Having been out of the Uk for years, I used to only catch Airport when home in the UK on leave or if someone was good enough to tape it for me and post it out here.

I tended not to watch them in sequence and have just recently watched an episode which was all about a team of boffins and enthusiasts who all went up in a BA757 to watch Halleys comet or something.

The excellent BA captain on that flight - very entertaining fellow - was a guy called Douglas Ord (?)

On the next episode that I watched (only filmed 1 week later), the episode was "dedicated to the memory of Douglas Ord".

Was sorry to read that. I never found out what happened to him. Can anyone shed any light. He was an excellent candidate for television and also appeared regularly on the BA Fear of Flying courses.....

Apollo 1
24th Aug 2002, 21:17
Landing 24R......Thanks for the Info.

Number Cruncher
25th Aug 2002, 12:05
Does anyone remember that summer weekend about 10 years ago when ITV dedicated almost two days of uninterrupted coverage of the goings on at Gatwick airport?

I think it was hosted by that guy named Nicholas Owen........?!? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Great viewing!

A300Man
25th Aug 2002, 13:57
I remember Mike Smith doing a similar thing for the BBC late eighties. It ran for one week and was called Airport Live! Sure it was based at LHR??

The only thing that I can remeber about it was they did a "live" fly on the wall thing on a Midland flight from Leeds to Heathrow, all the way from start to finish.

The really unique part of it was that the aircraft was a BAC1-11 in full British Midland livery!!!!

Friends would never believe me that BD had BAC1-11's but there you go. They did!! Sure it was leased from either British Island Airways or BAF (British World).

Dont remember the Gatwick programme though. I'm sure it was fabulous viewing too.

Jeremy Spake - is he honestly given up a career with the BBC to go to EAAC?

sic

BLK 33
25th Aug 2002, 14:26
Apollo 1
Have been filming quite recently- next series out in the autumn I believe - if you like that sort of thing; personally I'd rather put my toes in a meatgrinder.