PDA

View Full Version : Banff Airport - Alberta, not Aberdeenshire

India Four Two
26th Jan 2022, 00:10
A scenic video showing the location of Banff airport and discussing the controversy around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWrFVqOKBIg

I did a touch and go there once, many years ago. The windsocks at either end often point in different directions. Not really a surprise when there is a 4800' obstacle (Cascade Mountain) immediately adjacent to the runway!

For visitors to Banff, the runway can be seen adjacent to Highway 1, immediately west of the "Banff roundabout".

treadigraph
26th Jan 2022, 19:47
Interesting video!

(A few years ago the Telegraph (I think it was) did an article about Banff (Morayshire) including mention of a reasonably modest hotel that I had recently stayed in. The picture of the hotel accompanying the article was of a palatial pile, nothing like the one I recalled and which, if I remember correctly, was actually the Chateau Lake Louise or another massive edifice in the Albertan Banff area...)

India Four Two
27th Jan 2022, 02:18
Treadders,

Probably this palatial pile - the Banff Springs hotel:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1600x1419/6f1fc531_b9c7_4677_8ce7_6c9220c2884b_1ba9f8157e17030ce0f8b01 b0db9b461d6891e78.jpeg

It was built in 1886 by the CPR to attract tourists.

Meikleour
27th Jan 2022, 08:23
Stayed there some years ago - magnificent!

treadigraph
27th Jan 2022, 09:39
That's the one!

Union Jack
27th Jan 2022, 09:41
Interesting video!

(A few years ago the Telegraph (I think it was) did an article about Banff (Morayshire) including mention of a reasonably modest hotel that I had recently stayed in. The picture of the hotel accompanying the article was of a palatial pile, nothing like the one I recalled and which, if I remember correctly, was actually the Chateau Lake Louise or another massive edifice in the Albertan Banff area...)
Not surprising that the newspaper mixed up the photos if they mixed up the counties and thought that Banff was ever in Morayshire!

Jack

India Four Two
27th Jan 2022, 16:30
UJ,

I thought Banff was in Morayshire, but I figured I had better check before posting on PPRuNe and receiving a deluge of abuse from Scotland if I got it wrong! :)

Maoraigh1
27th Jan 2022, 19:31
Banff was in Banffshire, until reorganization put it in Grampian Region. Next reorganization put it in Aberdeenshire. The old Banffshire disappeared. The west bit went into Moray. I'm typing this in Moray, previously Banffshire. Some databases have not been updated yet.
​​​​​​

treadigraph
27th Jan 2022, 20:04
Moraypologies! I'll get a real kicking from my mate whose wedding I attended if he ever finds out!

India Four Two
28th Jan 2022, 11:19
Thanks for that interesting bit of “shire” history. I had completely forgotten about Banffshire, even though I had travelled through it in 1968.

No such problem with “my” Banff, which has always been in Alberta.
The area was named Banff in 1884 by George Stephen, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, recalling his birthplace near Banff, Scotland. The Canadian Pacific built a series of grand hotels along the rail line and advertised the Banff Springs Hotel as an international tourist resort.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banff,_Alberta