PDA

View Full Version : how do you log all this stuff?

mattpilot
24th Aug 2002, 00:11
I'm curious. I've been looking at the job discriptions of various carriers, and they all have different requirements.

For example, one carrier wants to know how much time you spent in aircraft with more than 20k lbs. Another one just wants to know how many you have in large aircraft (12.5k lbs). Then someone else wants to know how many hours you have in Long Haul operations and how many in Short Haul. Btw, what exactly is the difference, i mean by definition, between those too? There are numerous other examples - and every airline has its own standard. So, i'm curious - does one make 50 columns in his logbook (i wonder what the biggest logbook out there is :)), or does he recalculate his hours individually for each airline to meet its needs?

I'm not at that point *yet*, but i only have one empty column in my rather small logbook left (started with 2) - i'm just curious on how you guys manage that and what are the real essential things that i should log, besides the obvious stuff the FAA wants me to log?

thanks

AerBabe
24th Aug 2002, 15:03
You could use logbook software, downloaded, or online. Then it is possible to find out how many hours you flew on a particular aircraft, or on a type, etc etc with just a few mouse clicks. :)

Hippy
24th Aug 2002, 22:09
...bloody good question though, what is the differance between short haul & long haul? I reckon, if it's the first flight of the day & the same crew can fly it back within hours, then it aint long haul. But I just made that up :D
Anybody else want a go?

compressor stall
25th Aug 2002, 16:22
Zimex even want to know how many LANDINGS you have!!!!

Use a logbook program, or better still enter all your data in excel spreadsheet (beware, it gets pretty large pretty quick!) and you can customise all the info you wish.

Mine outputs IFR,VFR, Aircraft Type, Rego, Any of the totals, Landings per airport etc etc.

Gives you soimething to do on overnights!

When you get your interview, in addition to your normail logbook, print out your most recent excel logbook page for that company with pertinent details.

boeingbus2002
26th Aug 2002, 16:09
Anyone know what the JAA or UK CAA require to be logged? (Obviously date, a/c reg, airfields etc)

I have CAP407 (?) logbook but this is very different to a JAR logbook. Im still in training,

Cheers

sickBocks
27th Aug 2002, 16:37
Article 28 - Personal Flying Logbook

Details to be included in logbook

(1)

(a) the name and address of the holder of the logbook;
(b) particulars of the holder's licence (if any) to act as a member of the flight crew of an a/c; and
(c) the name and address of his employer (if any).

(2)

(a) Date, places of embarkation/disembarkation, time spent acting in whatever capacity
(b) Type & Reg marks of a/c
(c) Capacity of holder
(d) special conditions i.e. night, I/F
(e) particulars of any test/exam

(3) Jellicopters

(4) Tests/Exams
(a) Date of test/exam
(b) Type of sim (if used)
(c) Holder's capacity
(d) Nature of test/exam

:p

boeingbus2002
27th Aug 2002, 16:43
Is this for JAR too?
No need for recording landings then? I have been building up some hours recently too. Do i need to note what i did in each flight? (A mix of Navs, GH and circuits)