PDA

View Full Version : UK EASA licence exchange after 1st January 2021

FLASH7
19th Apr 2021, 22:53
Hi does anyone know a way I can exchange my UK EASA to a EASA member state? I
I got my EASA licence in 2019 after a break from flying I also have a UK PPL. I did my SEP renewal in November 2020, and got my ratings on both licences. But with all the lock downs etc I did not know that most pilots exchanged their UK EASA to an EASA member state, most changed it to an Irish EASA one. I have found out I have lost the privileges of my UK EASA. I'm so upset. I have heard that some states may still exchange my license.
I have just joined the group and would love some help.
cheers

Fl1ingfrog
20th Apr 2021, 10:54
I did not know that most pilots exchanged their UK EASA to an EASA member state,

No they didn't, unless they had a particular reason such as professional pilots flying for a EU based airline. For the majority of PPL holders it is irrelevant.

I have found out I have lost the privileges of my UK EASA

No you haven't. The letters EASA should now be disregarded but your licence retains all its privileges and is also recognized world wide, nothing has changed in this regard. You no longer have the automatic right to fly aircraft registered to an EASA state without process. This is the same for most countries throughout the world. If you have the need to fly an aeroplane registered in a EASA state then it affects you but not otherwise.

FLASH7
20th Apr 2021, 12:29
Thanks for the info. I have family in France so I may want to fly there from the UK. Or hire a plane in France. Not sure how it works now .
cheers

Genghis the Engineer
20th Apr 2021, 14:42
Flying from the UK to France in a G-reg aeroplane should present no more, or less, problems than before. Flight plan, GenDec, customs - and just go. No legal obstacles really.

Renting an F-reg will require you to have a validation of your UK licence from DGAC, there should be a process in place that you can find.

G

FLASH7
20th Apr 2021, 16:16
Hi .thanks for your help .i have had my.license for 30 years but had a long long brake and now just getting in to it again and all what's changed. And keeping up to speed.
cheers 😎

ced0802
6th May 2021, 06:31
Hello everyone,
Has anyone here converted an UK PPL into an EASA? I would like to know the procedure to do so, and approx how long it took you.

FLASH7
12th Jan 2022, 21:45
Hi , dose anyone know if there are eany EASA state still willing to transfer mu
my UK EASA licence, I still have my UK license PPL .just I messed the boat to exchange before brexit.
Or if not how to gegt an EASA license without jumping tons of hoops.
thanks

Airgus
13th Jan 2022, 12:00
It's relatively easy to do.
Do you have >100 TT? If yes, you need training as required (expect 5 hours, depending on the ATO/DTO) followed by skill test with an EASA FE, and some authorities will recognize you the theory as EASA (if certain conditions are met) like AESA Spain.
If your authority requires you to pass the theory, you need to pass Airlaw, HF and Comms.
ELP language assessment
If you are short of 100 hours, depending where you are, you can rent G-reg ACs for hour-building, or fly dual with a FI using EASA ACs (you are not legal to fly solo any EASA-reg)

FLASH7
13th Jan 2022, 13:05
Thanks, I have close to 200 hrs had my UK PPL since 1989 ,had a brake then got SEP renewal and Night Rating, I have English level 6 on both licences but when I was doing my renewal I did not realise a lot of pilots where exchanging there uk easa to an EU member state, so I was to late
I have herd some horror stories,, bit I still want to keep my UK PPL . Its just am not sure what EU state will be willing to be nice and help.
I like Spain or something,
Am I best to contact some flights schools ,I have contacted some that have G rege aircraft ,but I do think getting my EASA back gives me more options,
cheers

Gordon

Airgus
15th Jan 2022, 12:05
That's good to read.
Try calling some DTOs or ATOs and combine it with a few days holiday.
I will be back in Spain by mid February and I will be able to assist you if you want to do it in Andalusia, Southern Spain.

Freefly170
19th Jan 2022, 12:51
I’m just going through this process right now with AESA and it’s more than a little frustrating. I was relocated to Spain post Brexit so had no chance to SOLI within the timeframe ( which would have been considerably easier) however I’ve worked with a very good local ATO, got my AESA class II medical, done some flight training, passed the proficiency test and submitted all my papers and log books , I have about 500hrs total plus some military time. The documents are now in hyperspace somewhere between CAA and AESA and have been for three months now. Every time I call up AESA I get the same response, first they tell me oh no you can’t transfer a license post Brexit……..then when I tell them you can and recite the requirements they dig into their files (where I am already registered) and tell me they are waiting for CAA to respond and confirm that I actually have a license ! Call the CAA and I get the same response except that they are waiting to hear from AESA….!! Hmmm no one seems very motivated to help pilots (PPL’s at least) to change from one state to another.

Prop swinger
19th Jan 2022, 15:07
Technically you are not transferring a licence, you are being granted an EASA licence on the back of your UK licence + the additional exams & flight test. EASA like to refer to as a "conversion" but you should retain your UK licence. There is no legal reason why you shouldn't hold a UK & EASA PPL(A) concurrently, as well as an FAA & any other (non-EASA) ICAO licence.

It might be that referring to it as a transfer is what is confusing the Spanish authorities.

Boggle
28th Jan 2022, 11:49
In a nutshell. The conversion process from a UK licence in order to gain an EASA licence is the same as converting any other ICAO 3rd country PPL licence to EASA now. If you have more than 100hrs TT then you are required to gain an EASA Medical, English Language Proficiency test and take the Air Law and HPL Exams. Training as required to pass the skill test which may be nothing at all if you are familiar with the local procedures or a but of refresher training. For RT privileges you need to do the RT written exam and the RT practical test.

Your UK licence has no relevance other than being proof of holding an ICAO licence and can be maintained as it was before so you have two licences.

You are not able to fly an EU registered aircraft on a UK licence. Some states will issue a temporary validation which is valid for a year based on your UK licence in order for you to continue flying while you do the conversion. It can be renewed once only at the discretion of the issuing stated for a further year.

selfin
30th Jan 2022, 00:27
Boggle, there's a separate validation offered by some member states for non-commercial operations on any of 28 days in a calendar year. Art 8(3) in Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723. No skill test or written exam required. In addition, until 20 June 2022, some member states will accept a third-country licence for a non-commercial operation pursuant to art 12(4) in the Aircrew Regulation.

xtophe80
31st Jan 2022, 16:49
Hmmm no one seems very motivated to help pilots (PPL’s at least) to change from one state to another.

Have you filled an SRG1160 and paid money to the UK CAA? I'm sure you already know they won't do anything for free.