PDA

View Full Version : ICAO ATPL to Canadian ATPL

BuzzNauticalMile
24th Dec 2021, 09:32
Hi I have an ICAO ATPL from Qatar, with 5000 jet hours as P2, and would like to convert my licence to a Canadian ATPL Does my experience make it easier to get it converted quicker?Do I have to do a Check ride on a small Piston Plane or is it possible to get it done in a SIM?Can I get my Type Rating transferred into the licence?

Canuck15
27th Dec 2021, 22:45
check your PM

Maddogrider
31st Dec 2021, 09:45
check your PM

It's also my question, got an ICAO license and A320 rating on it and would like to convert to a Canadian ATPL

sando1900
6th Mar 2023, 01:42
hi
me too i have icao and A320 and trying to get TC.

AlphaVictorFoxtrot
2nd Apr 2023, 19:34
Based on the TC document here (https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/licensing-pilots-personnel/flight-crew-licences-permits-ratings/licensing-foreign-pilots), looks like you'd need your logbook, and to do a multi-IFR flight test to convert an ATPL (plus the medical and doing a bunch of paperwork). It's quiet on whether the type ratings come along with it, though, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to shoot them off an email and ask. (This page (https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/civil-aviation-contacts-offices#flight_crew_licensing) seems to be the one where you'd get the contact info)

From my understanding, unless you're going for one of the LCCs, most airlines will type rate you on whatever they fly once you pass the hiring stage, so it shouldn't be the end of the world to not have the type ratings from your overseas license. Also, while you should be able to do the flight test in the SIM, in practice, you're probably going to need to do it in a piston twin. Cursory Googling doesn't reveal any TC simulators available to the public to do your ride in.

CXCAN
1st May 2023, 17:37
Hello, currently two airlines operate the A320. Canada Jetlines and Air Canada. Dont know much about Jetlines, however on AC you choose you aircraft by GS seniority and you might end up on a different type, so I dont see the point of converting the Type Rating
In canda you can you your ATPL ride on any multi engine airplane, so you can do it in a Seneca, C310 and such.

India Four Two
2nd May 2023, 15:31
A small but important point. You either need to be a Canadian citizen or have the right to work in Canada, if you want to fly with a Canadian airline.

Maddogrider
2nd May 2023, 15:49
Thank you guys for all the informative replies.
I have an Open Work Permit, so I guess, it will be ok for the airlines to hire me (Dont know if preference will be given to citizens or PR card holders or not)
Based on your comments, converting the type doesnt seem to be a wise decision. I will just do it on a twin piston.

Quick question. I have an FAA CPL/SEIR and (as mentioned before) full ICAO ATPL. Is it better and easier to convert the ICAO ATPL to TC ATPL or convert the FAA CPL to TC CPL and then get the TC ATPL?

CXCAN
3rd May 2023, 15:51
Thank you guys for all the informative replies.
I have an Open Work Permit, so I guess, it will be ok for the airlines to hire me (Dont know if preference will be given to citizens or PR card holders or not)
Based on your comments, converting the type doesnt seem to be a wise decision. I will just do it on a twin piston.

Quick question. I have an FAA CPL/SEIR and (as mentioned before) full ICAO ATPL. Is it better and easier to convert the ICAO ATPL to TC ATPL or convert the FAA CPL to TC CPL and then get the TC ATPL?
I would contact prospective employers directly, at least the two canadian "majors" Air Canada and Westjet require to have a Permanent resident card or Landed Immigrant status (aka Permanent Resident)

jookisa
14th May 2023, 09:54
Your experience and hours as a P2 pilot will definitely be beneficial when converting your license to a Canadian ATPL. It may help speed up the process, but ultimately it will depend on the specific requirements and regulations in Canada.

Regarding the check ride, it's possible to complete it on a simulator depending on the specific requirements of the Canadian aviation authority. As for transferring your type rating, it will depend on the type of aircraft and the regulations in Canada.

I recommend contacting the Canadian aviation authority or a flight training school to get more specific information on the conversion process.

yclufk
24th Jan 2024, 03:19
Hi friends,

Thank you for the information. I have 2500 hours on Airbus A330 and A350 and a valid ICAO ATPL. I want to convert my ICAO ATPL to TC ATPL. If anybody has already done this conversion process, could you please send me a massage.
Thanks.