PDA

View Full Version : Brushing up on RT

waitpond
23rd Aug 2002, 08:37
I am about to start flying again after a break of nearly 2 years. I was talking to an instructor and he suggested listening in to local air traffic in order to brush up. He thought this would help make the transition back into flying run more smoothly.

My question is, what sort of radio do I need to get in order to do this? Plus is doing this legal??!!! Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks

FlyingCesspit
23rd Aug 2002, 08:55
Tandy do low-cost (well, relatively) scanners that cover the air band. The online avaiation shops also sell them, although tend to be more pricey (and probably more capable).

Can't really comment on the legality. You've got to believe if you've got an RT licence that there can't be an issue, but you can never tell. Somewhere at the back of my memory is something about you mustn't disclose anything you hear on the radio to other parties.

AerBabe
23rd Aug 2002, 13:42
You could also see if your local airfield will let you sit in the tower and listen in. They shouldn't have any problems with it. My flying group have a scanner almost permanently on in the clubhouse, which means we can sit there with a nice cold beer, overlooking the apron, to practise ;)

big.al
23rd Aug 2002, 13:46
I received a brochure from AFE yesterday and they are advertising about three different airband radios. The most basic uses simple analogue tuning, and as you can only listen in) not transmit) I can't see why there would be a legality issue. AFE's cheapest model was only £14.95, plus P&P of course.

ETOPS773
23rd Aug 2002, 14:37
I recommend you get a nice airbands and visit your local field..I was down Shoreham last week listening in my car,it helps me alot more if you look out for them / see where the aircraft transmitting are. Helps with my situational awareness.

Just don`t wear an anorack or have a notepad...thats for Gatwick :D

waitpond
23rd Aug 2002, 16:01
Thanks a lot for all of your replies. I shall be making a new purchase this weekend... and will be sure to leave the anorak and notepad at home!!

Cheers

FWA NATCA
23rd Aug 2002, 21:59
Waitpond,

If you can afford it, I'd invest in a good hand held transciever. Why spend the extra money? Because if you are ever flying and the acft radio quits (and they do) for what ever reason, you can reach into your trusty handy flight bag and pull out your hand held and still communicate with ATC.

Mike