PDA

View Full Version : Qantas cadetship opportunities...!

petra.oskertrich1995
14th Nov 2021, 03:24
https://www.flyfta.com/pilot-training/application-form/

I just noticed that FTA is taking in cadetships QC17, QC18, QC19 for employment with Qantas after graduation. What does everyone think about this? I have already done all of my training and struggling for a long time to break into the industry... this might be my chance. Has anyone got a job with Qantas after this?
Thanks for your insights!
Petra

morno
14th Nov 2021, 03:33
Ohh look, Petra is back. Still looking for that easy as pie job Petra?

You really didn’t do a lot of research into this industry before you started flight training did you?

SOPS
14th Nov 2021, 03:37

I just noticed that FTA is taking in cadetships QC17, QC18, QC19 for employment with Qantas after graduation. What does everyone think about this? I have already done all of my training and struggling for a long time to break into the industry... this might be my chance. Has anyone got a job with Qantas after this?
Petra

What are you planning to do? Pay for your CPL all over again? This has to be a wind up. And there is no guarantee of a job with Qantas once you have completed the course anyway.

Capt Fathom
14th Nov 2021, 03:46
The answers are on the website you quoted, so there is no need for another trolling mission!

dr dre
14th Nov 2021, 05:16

Petra

At the moment they're only taking applicants with a maximum of a PPL or similar experience. If you have a CPL you're ineligible for entry at the current time. An advanced program where you start with a CPL and gain a Instrument and Multi Engine ratings and ATPL theory is an option in the future as the website states but no plans to start this kind of program at the moment.

tangwang
14th Nov 2021, 05:23
Petra

QG not QC, so it’s just Qantas Group Academy intake nothing to do with Qantas Cadetship…

petra.oskertrich1995
14th Nov 2021, 08:49
Ohh look, Petra is back. Still looking for that easy as pie job Petra?

You really didn’t do a lot of research into this industry before you started flight training did you?

I really did but I didn't see a pandemic coming

petra.oskertrich1995
14th Nov 2021, 08:49
What are you planning to do? Pay for your CPL all over again? This has to be a wind up. And there is no guarantee of a job with Qantas once you have completed the course anyway.

I don't want to do that but I emailed them and they said I could get "recognition of prior learning" for some

petra.oskertrich1995
14th Nov 2021, 08:51
The answers are on the website you quoted, so there is no need for another trolling mission!

Huh? I just asked if anyone has got a job after the course?

Capt Fathom
14th Nov 2021, 09:02
You also said…… Thanks for your insights!

I gave it!

SOPS
14th Nov 2021, 11:46
This has to be a troll .. no one could be so stupid.

dr dre
16th Nov 2021, 11:14
Employment post course? I don’t think that’s a guarantee?

In these programs it’s never been a guarantee. Mostly due to the fact a cadetship/academy style program is in essence a very long job interview. If the employer picks up attributes of a trainee they deem a negative then it’s easier to reject them without going through a significant HR process if they were a formal employee.

However I think it would be in their best interests to offer employment to graduates as a first priority. In this well connected world if it turned out the Academy was just a branded flight school with a similar chance of employment as other schools then it’s interest would drop off quickly.

As a general rule through history cadets were always the first priority for recruitment, ie it wasn’t as if cadets graduated to a satisfactory standard then were told other groups would be employed over them.

neville_nobody
17th Nov 2021, 05:38
However I think it would be in their best interests to offer employment to graduates as a first priority. In this well connected world if it turned out the Academy was just a branded flight school with a similar chance of employment as other schools then it’s interest would drop off quickly.

However at what point are you actually "in". QF cadets a while back were going through the whole process, training, completing industry placement, being scrutinised at every turn and then getting knocked by HR at the last post to be left out in the cold after spending alot of time, cash, jumping through endless hoops. To say that left a bitter taste for some is a understatement in the least.

dr dre
17th Nov 2021, 07:18
However at what point are you actually "in". QF cadets a while back were going through the whole process, training, completing industry placement, being scrutinised at every turn and then getting knocked by HR at the last post to be left out in the cold after spending alot of time, cash, jumping through endless hoops. To say that left a bitter taste for some is a understatement in the least.

What happened to that group around that time was pretty poor. For the most part though, since the program has been running in various guises since the early 60’s most who’ve completed the course to a satisfactory standard have been offered employment when the company was recruiting.

Keg
17th Nov 2021, 07:27
What happened to that group around that time was pretty poor. For the most part though, since the program has been running in various guises since the early 60’s most who’ve completed the course to a satisfactory standard have been offered employment when the company was recruiting.

Those courses were run by mainline with selection onto the course being conducted by Qantas Airways utilising essentially the same selection processes that mainline was using for their direct entry crew (except for the sim obviously).

Selection for the ‘academy’ (note, it’s NOT a Cadet course) is done external to Qantas by FTA. Whilst there is some advance standing given into the QLink recruitment process (note, QLink recruitment, not mainline recruitment) one still needs to jump through the hoops for QLink to be offered employment.

How many academy and QFPP course have graduated? It would be interesting to know how many of the previous graduates have been offered positions thus far.

mikk_13
17th Nov 2021, 07:45
who would bother. every time there is a problem in the world, qantas will drop your arse so fast. Better off doing a trade or anything else. aviation is for suckers

172heavy
17th Nov 2021, 08:55
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you already hold a CPL?

ninoongleo
17th Nov 2021, 13:49
HI, If I may ask. Is there any instance that Australia has accepted foreign pilots? Do they provide sponsorship? Thanks for the answer

unobtanium
18th Nov 2021, 22:21
How many academy and QFPP course have graduated? It would be interesting to know how many of the previous graduates have been offered positions thus far.

Many are working as bag chuckers so there somewhat working for qantas?

neville_nobody
18th Nov 2021, 23:56
Selection for the ‘academy’ (note, it’s NOT a Cadet course) is done external to Qantas by FTA. Whilst there is some advance standing given into the QLink recruitment process (note, QLink recruitment, not mainline recruitment) one still needs to jump through the hoops for QLink to be offered employment.

Which then begs the question why would you bother? You might has well get cheaper flight training elsewhere and get some experience and apply to QLink (or Rex) under your own steam. Personally I still believe you are still better off playing employers off against each other rather than being locked into one your whole career.

dr dre
19th Nov 2021, 02:19
Which then begs the question why would you bother? You might has well get cheaper flight training elsewhere and get some experience and apply to QLink (or Rex) under your own steam. Personally I still believe you are still better off playing employers off against each other rather than being locked into one your whole career.

If group wide recruitment prioritises academy graduates then non academy trainees will be seriously disadvantaged.

As there hasn’t been much recruitment in the last two years we really can’t make a judgement yet, this will change over the next year or two so some judgement can be made when we see if/how academy graduates are employed.

Those who were on the first courses at the academy could possibly be in a very strong position career wise, we shall wait and see if their decision pays off

gordonfvckingramsay
19th Nov 2021, 20:22
Personally I still believe you are still better off playing employers off against each other rather than being locked into one your whole career.

Exactly! And no better time than now.

If it wasn’t for the hordes of guys and girls wanting a “easy” path to the big shiny, we would probably have a better industry. Supply and demand…you supply cheap labour, that’s what the company will demand.

Lead Balloon
19th Nov 2021, 20:31
Yep. Learnt long ago from someone wise: There's no security in being employed. There's security in being employable.

Derfred
20th Nov 2021, 04:09
Qantas has always recruited from a variety of sources. I suspect they will continue to do so.

IMHO the current QF training school was opened as a response to either an actual or forecast drop in the numbers of suitable applicants to QF’s subsidiary airlines.

When your long term plan is a continued downward trend in pilot pay and conditions, it’s important that supply and demand never start working against you.

gordonfvckingramsay
21st Nov 2021, 21:57
Qantas has always recruited from a variety of sources. I suspect they will continue to do so.

IMHO the current QF training school was opened as a response to either an actual or forecast drop in the numbers of suitable applicants to QF’s subsidiary airlines.

When your long term plan is a continued downward trend in pilot pay and conditions, it’s important that supply and demand never start working against you.

But that’s the rub isn’t it. Downward pressure on pay and conditions makes the whole “career” unattractive not just the company. Supply and demand cannot be hacked in the long term and whether they like to admit it or not, long term is the game airlines need to play if they want to stay in the game.

43Inches
21st Nov 2021, 22:21
China has proven you can just mass produce pilots at reasonable standard, and they do it at incredible rates like 10,000 per year. All that while still paying them relatively poorly, although well for China. Yes they will employ a few expats over time for exorbitant rates to fill gaps, but that's definitely the minority.

If you think pilot pay will somehow return to the heydays and gravy trains of the 70s through 90s, I think you are very misguided. Other industries employee unions control the tap, in aviation the airlines have almost complete control.

If you can't even negotiate scope clauses to prevent white ant-ing then you have no chance to build T & Cs at majors.

gordonfvckingramsay
22nd Nov 2021, 01:42
If the job was actually recognised as a profession it would help. As it stands, the job we call “airline pilot” is seen as more of a pastime or hobby that got out of control. Airline Captain or ATPL won’t even get you a tram ride home let alone any real world T&Cs.

I wouldn’t call mass produced Chinese products “good”. They may fulfil the role well while the operation remains on the rails but that’s about it. Fast, cheap or good, you get a choice of two.

neville_nobody
22nd Nov 2021, 02:05
China has proven you can just mass produce pilots at reasonable standard, and they do it at incredible rates like 10,000 per year. All that while still paying them relatively poorly, although well for China. Yes they will employ a few expats over time for exorbitant rates to fill gaps, but that's definitely the minority.

Except that those 10 000 have the entire cost of training paid for by the airline. Meanwhile in Australia pilots have to go and find $100K+ personally to become a pilot. To then fight your way through GA or be locked into a cadetship with no real hope of anything meaningful.

Personally this is what will ultimately drive up pilot salaries. The cost of training now is ridiculous for the salary on offer and even if you get into a jet airline eventually the pay is hardly worth it given what it cost you to get there and the risk you are taking. You will also have to compete with foreigners who will be brought into the country to suppress salaries.

43Inches
22nd Nov 2021, 02:41
Your comment also answered why T&C wont rise. In Australia there is a willing stream of those who would pay to get into the job, the airlines have only just started to consider paying for training up pilots. They will pay for training before any real rise in pay occurs. There's still pay for your own endorsement companies around, until they are all gone and cadetships are company funded, then you will see change as there will be no other option than to pay more to keep things moving.

morno
22nd Nov 2021, 03:04
If the job was actually recognised as a profession it would help. As it stands, the job we call “airline pilot” is seen as more of a pastime or hobby that got out of control. Airline Captain or ATPL won’t even get you a tram ride home let alone any real world T&Cs.

You know it’s funny, I participated in a government survey recently and they asked whether I had any formal education etc. They didn’t consider a pilot license formal education :}

So you’re right, it’s not a profession and the chances of getting paid ridiculous amounts of money to be able to do it are pathetic at best.

das Uber Soldat
22nd Nov 2021, 03:09
You know it’s funny, I participated in a government survey recently and they asked whether I had any formal education etc. They didn’t consider a pilot license formal education :}

So you’re right, it’s not a profession and the chances of getting paid ridiculous amounts of money to be able to do it are pathetic at best.
Why should it? You can attain an airline position with effectively 1 year of training and a year 10 education. Its hardly rocket surgery is it?

gordonfvckingramsay
22nd Nov 2021, 08:03
Why should it? You can attain an airline position with effectively 1 year of training and a year 10 education. Its hardly rocket surgery is it?

And in that one year you learn exactly bugger all beyond the minimum required to not have an accident while under the close supervision of a Captain.

morno
22nd Nov 2021, 08:47

That's exactly what I was trying to say dopey