PDA

View Full Version : Crash Cat. Puma/Chinook

matspart3
23rd Aug 2002, 07:55
A couple of questions

My civvy airfield is regularly used by Pumas and Chinooks for refuelling. We are published as Civil Fire Cat. 2 with up to Cat. 4 available on request. Although military aircraft are outside the scope of civillian airfield licensing/fire cat. criteria,

a) Do you have a laid down minimum level of protection at civvy airfields?
b) Is it a Captains decision to accept a lower Category?

ShyTorque
23rd Aug 2002, 08:48
I think you've answered your own question.

Same as when landing in a field.

matspart3
23rd Aug 2002, 13:43
So you'd be happy with Cat 1 then? (ie two firemen and 1 tender)It would certainly save us the hassle of bringing in extra firemen.

detgnome
23rd Aug 2002, 13:46
Any fire cover is a bonus, as most fields don't come fitted with fire tenders and crew!

Amusing that we can land in a field, but can't land after hours at S***bury 'cos there is no fire cover..... oh the flexibility of Parent and Teacher Command.....

matspart3
23rd Aug 2002, 14:40
detgnome...I think you may be touching on the issue here. I accept that any cover is better than none, but if PTC won't let you land without fire cover at a military airfield, are there any limitations at civvy fields too?

We've done a risk assesment and are happy that our Civil Cat. would suffice in the event of a 'nasty', but I wanted to check before I document it in the Aerodrome Manual. We've had all sorts of fun and games with your fixed wing colleagues at Cranwell recently, who now require 7 firemen and 2 tenders with about a squillion gallons of FFP before they'll bring a Jetstream in. Ironically, if the same aircraft was civillian, civil Cat 3 (1 tender, 4 men) would suffice.

canberra
23rd Aug 2002, 17:20
if i remember rightly its up to the captain whether hes happy with the crash cover. on the subject of the jetstream i can remember them using barkston with only raf cat 1 cover which was one range rover and 3 blokes, i wonder if cranwell are getting themselves confused with the differences between military and civvy cats?

FJJP
24th Aug 2002, 08:28
Matspart - if you are going into print I suggest you need the info from an accredited source. I would call Odiham and Benson and talk to the standards flight (or CFS agent, whatever he is called) - he should be able to tell you exactly what the rules are.

Also, AIDU will sell you a variety of publications which contain loads of info - the En-Route Supplement British Isles and North Atlantic (BINA) is one which you might find useful. Have a look at the AIDU website:

http://www.aidu.co.uk

DrinkGirls
25th Aug 2002, 12:13
:confused: Don,t slag off my beautiful Shawbs, you are out of date, PTC stations CAN be used out of hours nowadays:confused:

teeteringhead
25th Aug 2002, 13:26
Hush hush DrinkGirls ...... EGOS should remain a well kept secret ...... if foul and false rumours keep interlopers away - so be it. They probably wouldn't appreciate the rural charms of Salopia anyway.;) ;)