PDA

View Full Version : Light airplane crash Antwerp this morning??

Matchless
23rd Aug 2002, 07:47
I just had a telephone call from my girlfriend from Antwerp - EBAW - airport, that a light aircraft may have crached there and burned.
Don't know about the pilot or any pax.......We must fear the worst.
Any other reports?

Lodestar
23rd Aug 2002, 09:28
That is confirmed!

Right after take off a light airplane, with isntructor and student pilot on board, crashed on the 'Diksmuidelaan' right behind the runway.
Whitnesses stated that the airplane just came down without any visual signs of fire or whatsoever.

The plane crashed on a car and immediatly bursted out in flames. The two occupants where killed in the crash!!!

The cause of the crash has yet to be determined.

The instructor was a friend of mine with whom I followed the SABENA training to become a linepilot back in 1996. He was a well trained and very professional pilot, actually flying for SNBA on RJ85/100! This is a GREAT loss.....

My condolences go out to their families and everyone involved....

Lodestar
23rd Aug 2002, 10:34
Aircraft was a Tampico TB-9

ockham hold
23rd Aug 2002, 19:46
I remember taking off on the westerly runway at Antwerp in a single many years ago and thinking there ain't no where to forse land if the engine quit.

The best place I could see was to fly through the overhead electric cables and force land on the railway lines heading into the main station.

Poor guys.

TwoFiveRight
23rd Aug 2002, 21:39
I have only the highest regard for the instructor (a well-liked and positive individual), both professionally and personally.
He showed his skill and common sense by managing to land the aircraft in a busy street, avoiding pedestrians and a market place a hundred meters ahead. Professional and honourable every step of his last journey.

The accident is a terrible loss to all those who knew the pilots, to their families and to the pilot community as a whole. I, for one, am deeply sad, shocked and angry. No one should have to leave us like this!

I am furious at the reaction of the members of the Action Group against the existence of Antwerp airport. They have shown NO COMPASSION AT ALL and have even used this tragedy to damage the exceptional reputation of Belgian flight schools!

It's disgusting to have to hear their immediate whinings about noise pollution and safety concerns. Why don't they concentrate on growing their compost in their gardens instead of interfering with one of the best economic assets of their city?

I will hesitate, next time, to let any of them step on my plane in the near future...

jtumbler
23rd Aug 2002, 21:43
I still can't believe this happend !
I heard rumour about who the instructor was. I used to be in his promotion as well starting of in ground school. He was a great guy and very light-hearted. He is a great loss to aviation and we will all miss him very much.
:(

Hello 25R,

thanks for the message this morning although I wish you wouldn't have to be the bearer of such awful news.
I hope something will be organised so all his present and former colleagues can pay him their last respects.