PDA

View Full Version : AAIB(H) UK November 2021

Hilico
11th Nov 2021, 09:24
R-44 coming into private site, low-rpm horn goes off. Low-hours P1. Report (https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-investigation-to-robinson-r44-ii-g-opdg)

Rotorway Exec gets dynamic rollover. Report (https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-investigation-to-rotorway-executive-162f-g-ohov)

aa777888
11th Nov 2021, 12:23
Regarding the R44 accident: the approach as described and the density altitude would not be commensurate with over pitching. There was no evidence of engine failure. Perhaps the pilot got a "death grip" on the throttle and was unintentionally overriding the governor as he got close to the touchdown point? This is not uncommon for over-stressed R22 and R44 pilots. Although the pilot had already operated into and out of that spot with an R22, perhaps its confines were right at his personal limits? Then already under a high degree of stress (the aforementioned death grip), additional panic followed. The pilot reported a right yaw which is inconsistent with lowering rotor RPM. The pilot also reported he “overrode the governor to increase the throttle”, which would be consistent with right yaw (and not enough left pedal). Seems like some unfortunate ham-handedness. Per the report everything was proper and normal to 10ft AGL. A very nice hover auto could have been done from that height.

One additional oddity: the report said 155kg of fuel on board. Max. fuel on an R44 is 130kg.

ShyTorque
11th Nov 2021, 17:00
"Evaluating" the aircraft with a total flight experience of 79 hours.

Seems like the problem was that he missed out Test Pilot school.

Warren Peace
11th Nov 2021, 18:39
Regarding the R44 accident:

One additional oddity: the report said 155kg of fuel on board. Max. fuel on an R44 is 130kg.

Glaring mistakes in AAIB reports are not as rare as people may think.

I worry (a little) about having a bump, and the investigation resulting in a shabby document, produced by well paid amateurs.

it’s an embarrassment to the aviation community.

The responsibility lies with whoever signs off the reports for publication.

12th Nov 2021, 06:19
The pilot reported a right yaw which is inconsistent with lowering rotor RPM. If your NR decreases, your TR rpm and thrust reduces and you would need more left pedal to increase that thrust - without that input, the aircraft will yaw right.

212man
12th Nov 2021, 07:45

I worry (a little) about having a bump, and the investigation resulting in a shabby document, produced by well paid amateurs.

It was a ‘correspondence’ report, so they probably quoted whatever the pilot filled in.

I take issue with the ‘amateurs’ comment! Do you actually know any of them? Have you ever visited them?

Hughes500
12th Nov 2021, 15:06

I have visited and knew some of them sometime ago. Had 3 dealings with them on accidents where I was asked my opinion. It beggered belief what they thought happened and actual reality !!!!

Two's in
12th Nov 2021, 15:10

If you need any help comprehending the work done by the AAIB over countless years, feel free to reach out. Dating back to 1915, the work they have done across many hundreds of accidents and incidents has been instrumental in driving down accident rates and increasing flight safety awareness for all aviators, professional or otherwise. They bring dedication, professionalism and integrity to a very difficult aspect of aviation and their model has been embraced by numerous countries around the globe. Your comments about the AAIB probably reveal more than you think.

212man
12th Nov 2021, 15:44
Thanks TwosIn - I have limited patience typing on my phone!

OvertHawk
12th Nov 2021, 16:10
as regards the fuel discrepancy - perhaps it's a litres vs kg error - 130kg of avgas has got to be around 155lts.

Wholeheartedly agree with the comments made in support of the AAIB.

Dedicated professionals who do a difficult often horrific job and who are coming under increasing pressure from many corners.

OH

Pozidrive
12th Nov 2021, 16:24

Thank you for your contribution. It's always good to hear from the armchair experts.

John R81
16th Nov 2021, 13:04
November 2021 report also carries the report into Bell 407 (N120HH) (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/618ce0318fa8f5037b09c4e5/Bell_407_N120HH_11-21.pdf):- Engine failure and autorotation, Long Marston, Warwick-shire, 24 June 2020. That was due to an uncontained failure of the gas producing turbine disc due to insufficient oil reaching the bearings as a result of an oil leak.

torqueshow
16th Nov 2021, 17:41

The AAIB, an embarrassment to the aviation community……I’m almost speechless.

If that is truly what you think then why don’t you apply and your earliest convenience and do something about it? Only you’ll probably find that the the technical detail, harrowing scenes and dedication required for that role far outweighs that of being another keyboard warrior without an ounce of integrity compared with the extensive work the AAIB have done so that you may complete your flight in one of the safest aviation sectors in the world.

Hilico
16th Nov 2021, 18:27
The 407 fire was in October's report, sure I put that one in there.

And another comment on the 44 low-rpm incident, the guy has even less time than I do - the death-grip horn went off one time during my hover training but luckily the Boss caught it and ever since then I hold the lever in a much more relaxed manner.