PDA

View Full Version : Airbus learns from geese

airsound
9th Nov 2021, 15:59
Airbus says it has performed the first long-haul demonstration of formation flight in GAT-regulated transatlantic airspace with two A350s flying three kilometers apart from Toulouse to Montreal. More than 6 tons of CO2 emissions were saved on the trip, confirming the potential for more than a 5% fuel saving on long-haul flights.

They used flight control systems developed by Airbus which position the following aircraft safely in the wake updraft of the lead aircraft. That allows it to reduce thrust and reduce fuel consumption. Geese and other big migrating birds use the same principle when they fly together in their distinct V-shaped formations.

https://www.airbus.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2021-11-airbus-and-its-partners-demonstrate-how-sharing-the-skies-can-save

Chiefttp
9th Nov 2021, 17:16
This will go,well. While the science is plausible, Anyone who has been in a wake turbulence upset will soon understand why this scheme will go nowhere.

DaveReidUK
9th Nov 2021, 21:13
Yes, after all the skies are full of geese tumbling to earth uncontrollably.

Chesty Morgan
9th Nov 2021, 22:18
I'm sure Geese have upset recovery techniques and also don't carry passengers.

Richard Taylor
10th Nov 2021, 05:42
It's already ruffling a few feathers.

ShyTorque
10th Nov 2021, 07:20
IMC formation is hard work. Got the T shirt.

PAXboy
10th Nov 2021, 09:07
They are going to hang the whole enterprise on our dear friend Software...
I think that what will defeat this is practicalities:

the problem of getting competitor airlines to agree simultaneous departures to linked destinations. Possibly diverging NYC and Washington at the end of cruise, for example.
Getting competitor airlines to agree a formation point and time before the main cruise.
If one a/c is not able to push at the right time - for whatever reasons?
If one a/c has to drop out of the fomration due to tech/medical emergency - how do you square up the sudden increased cost of fuel?
Do all a/c carry fuel to allow for such a drop out, be it their own or another?

However, as a proof of concept and confirming what was already known - it is very good.

B2N2
10th Nov 2021, 09:31
You would need to alternate the lead (as birds do) in order to have equal fuel savings across all participants.
So you’ll have to add changing formations to the equation.
:8

Gargleblaster
10th Nov 2021, 10:01
Essentially, the following aircraft would have to be remote controlled from the leading aircraft. Wouldn't TCAS go crazy ? Also, being a formation, it'd have a single callsign, no ?

msbbarratt
10th Nov 2021, 20:36
B2N2

Or, just fix it up financially. The airline whose aircraft lead the flock gets paid (cash, carbon credits, etc) by the others that flew behind.

I'm wondering what effect payload weight has. Intuitively (and therefore probably not reliable, being my intuition), a lighter aircraft leading the flock of heavier ones sounds more effective than a heavy one leading a light one.

Interesting idea though

nighthawk117
11th Nov 2021, 08:39
Heavier aircraft at the front would displace more air, perhaps therefore leading to bigger savings for lighter aircraft behind? I'm no scientist though - i'll leave them to work that one out.

Essentially, the following aircraft would have to be remote controlled from the leading aircraft. Wouldn't TCAS go crazy ? Also, being a formation, it'd have a single callsign, no ?

I would have thought it would be controlled by following aircraft - the software will just follow whatever the front one does. Presumably the same system would be tied in to TCAs, thereby disabling any warnings when formation mode is enabled.

the problem of getting competitor airlines to agree simultaneous departures to linked destinations. Possibly diverging NYC and Washington at the end of cruise, for example.

I'm sure small formations of 2-3 aircraft could easily be achieved by some of the major airlines on their own - e.g how many near simultaneous departures do United have to/from the UK and New York? I'm sure the extra fuel burn associated with hanging about until the formation is established will be more than offset by the fuel savings.

Failing that, Airline Alliances finally have a purpose

Less Hair
11th Nov 2021, 09:05
How smooth is the ride for number two constantly harvesting number one's vortex energy at cruise speed?

Uplinker
11th Nov 2021, 11:15
Well, I think it is a very interesting idea, and as DaveReid says in #3, geese don't seem to have a problem. (Great comment, Dave :ok:).

However, the logistics will not work for airline travel. It will not be possible to coordinate two or three aircraft to fly at the same time, same route; any fuel saved would be used up by getting into formation in the first place. If it were feasible, the A380 would have done much better.

Might work for freighters.

B2N2
11th Nov 2021, 16:29
1. We can get Third World airlines to fly the lead as we’re used to selling them our ‘recycle’ garbage already and it leaves “our” airlines to continue virtue signaling their cleanliness.

2. We’ll never know about geese as the administrator has not required them to report inflight issues.

3. Only use I see are unmanned military cargo ships or long range weapons.
Alas another one of nature’s beautiful mysteries to be weaponized.

FMS82
13th Nov 2021, 08:05
https://onemileatatime.com/news/airbus-a350-formation-flying/

Very interesting development. Significant fuel savings, but many practical implications.