PDA

View Full Version : Microlight flying

Sliding member
23rd Aug 2002, 01:44
I'm having a mind blank at the minute, can anybody help. I'm a PPL(A) holder, if I wish to fly microlights (3-axis) am I entitled to without anything other than say check ride on the A/C type I wish to fly? Whilst we're on the subject if I was to fly flex-wing I imagine I'd have to do quite a bit more. I'd be grateful if anyone can clarify this for me. Thanks

FormationFlyer
23rd Aug 2002, 10:07
OK...from memory - although LASORS will be more accurate...although this should give you an idea...

JAR licences are quite simple. If you want to fly microlights you need a microlight rating issued.

That means traning as necessary + skills tests + money to CAA (64?) for the rating.

If you then want flexwing thats 5 hours differences training (if you have a microlight rating) or 5 hours + skill test if you dont...but then to fly fixed wing microlight you need more differences training.

If you have an old UK PPL then I believe you have lost the right to fly microlights as you are now on a JAR SEP class rating - which does not cover microlights. So where as you could under the Group A rating I no longer think its possible and training/ratings will be as reqd above.

Hope this helps,

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Aug 2002, 19:04
The rating is a UK only "microlight" rating, and has equivalent status to say an IMC rating. This is irrespective of whether you want to fly 3-axis or flexwing.

You need to complete whatever training a microlight QFI considers necessary, then pass a microlight GFT. This is irrespective of whether you're going 3-axis or flexwing, but inevitably you'll need more hours for a flexwing conversion. You then send the paperwork off to the BMAA, who'll check it, forward to the CAA, who'll then return it with a microlight rating added.

To convert between 3-axis and flexwing, there's no legal requirement for a conversion, but it would be regarded as a survival trait. In this case, you need to do the necessary training, and pass an ACST (Alternative Control Systems Test).

I'm pretty certain that covers it, but the definitive source of wisdom (in office hours anyway) is the BMAA's licensing Guru, a chap called Roy Hart, on 01869-338888.

G