PDA

View Full Version : EGLL Approaches on Easterlies

Topofthestack
17th Oct 2021, 16:49
During the height of Covid, it seemed as though my house was being used as a positioning point for a base leg to 09L/R, It was so precise that I began to suspect that someone remembered where I lived! Was this just a coincidence, or were RNP routes to final being used?

Regards. :rolleyes:

DaveReidUK
17th Oct 2021, 19:33
There are no pre-defined routes from the STAR to the final approach. When you see an aircraft turning onto final, it has been vectored to that point by ATC.

You can see the distribution of tracks over recent months and years here: https://myneighbourhood.emsbk.com/lhr14/home/webtrak

Topofthestack
17th Oct 2021, 20:37
Greetings,

I'm afraid you're wrong, there are RNP initial approaches from each of the stacks to final approach which are published by Jeppesen. We had RNP initial approaches when I was an active ATCO at LATCC (Terminal Control) before I retired in 2006.

DaveReidUK
17th Oct 2021, 21:27
It's strange there are none in the UK AIP, then. It simply says

When arriving traffic is being sequenced under radar direction, that part of the approach between the holding fix and the Final Approach track will be flown under direction from the Radar Controller.

OldLurker
17th Oct 2021, 21:37
Thanks, DaveReidUK, that's a very interesting website that I hadn't seen before.

Topofthestack, do aircraft approaching EGLL fly anything that we'd recognise as a 'base leg'? Mostly, after exiting the stack they seem just to curve seamlessly onto the final approach track.

DaveReidUK
17th Oct 2021, 22:00
If you look at arrival tracks on, for example, Heathrow's WebTrak system, they typically consist of a series of constant-heading segments instructed by ATC. It's not that unusual to see a base leg, followed by an approximately 60° turn to intercept the ILS (or RNP final approach track).

Here's an example: https://myneighbourhood.emsbk.com/lhr/home/webtrak/51961148

And another quote from the AIP:

Pilots should typically expect the following speed restrictions to be enforced: 220 KT from the holding facility during the initial approach phase; 180 KT on base leg/closing heading to final approach; between 180 KT and 160 KT when established on final approach and thereafter 160 KT to 4 DME.

Del Prado
19th Oct 2021, 06:11
Thanks, DaveReidUK, that's a very interesting website that I hadn't seen before.

Topofthestack, do aircraft approaching EGLL fly anything that we'd recognise as a 'base leg'? Mostly, after exiting the stack they seem just to curve seamlessly onto the final approach track.

All aircraft (unless it’s really quiet) will fly a standard radar circuit with a downwind, base leg and closing heading to intercept the ILS or RNP approach.
It’s all kept standard and regimented to aid consistent spacing.

DaveReidUK
19th Oct 2021, 06:41
It’s all kept standard and regimented to aid consistent spacing.

Yes, spacing on the final approach - thanks to the skill of the controllers adjusting the track downwind from the STAR and the turn onto the ILS - that enables Heathrow to handle the landing rates that it typically achieves.

Obviously that implies that not every aircraft will follow the same track (graphic shows data for September 2021):

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/569x419/lhr_approach_tracks_596d1c5d976fe7ac5dc70181395fadeb8a887d33 .jpg