PDA

View Full Version : Sunny Winter Base for Open Cockpit Plane

peregrineh
1st Oct 2021, 11:05
Hi All

Been an age since I posted here. Here is the deal - open cockpit plane (Stearman) , as much as I love winter flying. I was thinking about like the birds migrating the plane in the winter to southern europe, basing it there for several months and coming back to the UK in April. Would then aim to fly down commercially for a few long weekends and do some fun local flying. Does anybody have any ideas or heard of somebody doing this before. Portugal/ Spain/Italy - even Morocco. Proximity to a commercial airport and a hangar probably the only two necessities.

Any ideas?

Piper.Classique
1st Oct 2021, 16:47
How Southern? What sort of hangar budget? Anywhere in the south of France on the Mediterranean coast might suit your needs for weather, but do you want grass or hard runway, and what are your crosswind requirements? ATC or aero club environment? Runway length and width? Maintenance? Would you mind if you had to move other aircraft to get yours out?

BobD
2nd Oct 2021, 06:15
You might like to consider Mafe_Gibraleon in Southern Spain just North of Huelva. Its years since I visited, but the Pilot Notes in Skydemon tell you all you need to know.

ETOPS
2nd Oct 2021, 08:00
Any ideas?

Country of registration and cerificate/permit status.

Your type of licence, medical and residency.

Insurance....