PDA

View Full Version : hours question lapl/ppl

Opsmonkey
19th Sep 2021, 16:01
could anyone answer this please i have tried emailing CAA but no answer as yet

I have a few hours from 20 years will they count toward flight training? looking at finishing licence

Edward Hawkins
19th Sep 2021, 19:06
As far as I know hours accrued before Septemer 2012 cannot be used. There was an exemption to allow these hours to be used but I believe that ended in September 2018.

rudestuff
20th Sep 2021, 06:43
How many are we talking about? The FAA will recognise them.

selfin
20th Sep 2021, 09:09
As will Canada which is open to vaccinated foreign nationals visiting for discretionary purposes. The Canadian air exercises are nearly identical to those in the UK. No study permit or security threat assessment required. Lower skill test fee. Medical can be done in Europe.

Opsmonkey
25th Sep 2021, 13:25
have 17 hours from 20 years ago would be good if the hours would count toward lapl

MrAverage
26th Sep 2021, 09:27
Definitely won't count in the UK for any licence, unless you can convince the CAA to change the rule quickly. (Insert appropriate smiley here)

Maoraigh1
26th Sep 2021, 17:34
After gaining my PPL, and flying a few hours, I let it lapse for financial reasons. The muscle memory came back 21 years later. I hadn't forgotten the theory. The not-accepted hours may help you to gain the licence in the minimum number specified.

Jhieminga
26th Sep 2021, 17:53
Not many students manage to get a licence within the minimum hours, so it wouldn't suprise me if you end up flying those minimum hours anyway, with the 17 hours from a long time ago helping you progress quickly through the first phase.
Also, you can still keep those original hours in your logbook AFAIK, as long as you don't include them in the count when applying for a licence.

BEagle
27th Sep 2021, 13:21
The CAA should release a General Exemption from the unnecessarily onerous Article 9 of Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 (adopted into UK law) and adopt the simple, flexible terms of ICAO Annex 1 para 2.1.9.1*, devolving the appropriate training needs analysis and training course composition to the ATO/DTO conducting the training, under the principle of subsidiarity.

*'A student pilot or the holder of a pilot licence shall be entitled to be credited in full with all solo, dual instruction and pilot-in-command time towards the flight time required for the initial issue of a pilot licence or the issue of a higher grade of pilot licence.'

Fl1ingfrog
27th Sep 2021, 18:51
Totally agree with BEagle on this. Hopefully, in time, well get rid of all the nonsensical rubbish forced upon us in recent years. ICAO is good enough for the majority of the world and for the UK.

Whopity
28th Sep 2021, 14:51
There are lots of things the CAA should do, but unfortunately they have their hands tied by laughing boy Shapps and his department.