PDA

View Full Version : Skytrace

Rusty Cessna
22nd Aug 2002, 13:47
Hiya everyone,

I'm very interested in doing the Safety Course at Skytrace on the Yak-52. Can anyone who has gone through the full course give me some indication as to what it is like, how long it took them and the programme they did.

Also, does anyone have any inclination as to the rough cost of the course? Id also be keen to know if there is any low level flying training given during the course.

Many thanks for any replies.
Rusty.

VORTIME
22nd Aug 2002, 23:41
Also very interested. If you're refering to the one in number, the instructor is supposed to be top-notch.

Lowtimer
23rd Aug 2002, 10:36
Rusty,

Can't speak from direct experience of Genna's course, though I have seen him fly a couple of times, and he's remarkable.

I am part way through a conversion course with a different instructor, Ian Austin, of Globaltec. Let me say I have heard only good things about both Ian or Genna, my choice was simply because Ian is based in Cambridgeshire and nearer to where my syndicate is based.

Ian does a substantial ground briefing - he is also an engineer and packs in a lot of understanding about the systems and why certain things have to be done the way the are done.

The kind of ground you should expect to cover in the air is:

1. T/O Std
2. Taxiing/wind
3. T/O Soft field
4. Propeller operation
5. Use of gear and flap
6. Demonstrate Inertia climb
7. Demonstrate Inertia S & L.
8. Spinning std
9. Picking up wing at stall
10. Stall, flap & U/C in turn
11. Dynamic stall in turn
12. Dynamic stall in dive
13. PFL/ glide approaches
14. EFATO
15. Landings std
16. Flapless
17. X-wind
18. U/C failure procedure
19. Side-slip
20. Recovery from vertical
21. Knife edge
22. Wing over
23. Flat spin

Obviously you can add more or less whatever aerobatics you like to that.

From what I gather checkout times vary considerably depending on the nature of previous experience, and the amount of homework reading you've done on the aircraft and its engine - it's a very good time to remember "never learn something in the air if you could learn it on the ground". I would have thought that you'd have to be pretty good to get away with less than 5 hrs, and that if you weren't OK by 10 hours, the Yak might not be the aeroplane for you. I'm only part way through but will come back and tell you how many hours it took when I'm cleared for solo on type.

If you want to have a long term relationship with a Yak get a good military flying suit - you will be grateful for the pockets!

I'm using my own syndicated aircraft and I believe Genna uses his own, that makes it hard to give you any sensible guidance on costs. I reckon, though, that this is one of those times in aviation when you have to look at it as high value for money rather than low cost.

Southern Cross
23rd Aug 2002, 12:37
First: check out the Skytrace website: www.skytrace.co.uk

That will tell you all about the course and what is / is not included.

There is no low level element included so far as I know. On the contrary, all the aerobatics are practiced at height (5500' - 7000' usually) not only for safety but also so as to not bother the neighbours.

Having flown for 20+ hours with Gennady, comprising a full check out on the Yak 52 plus fair amount of aerobatics training, advanced spinning, circuit work etc, I can't recommend him highly enough. Just one flight was enough to convince me that the one hour "joyride" that I went up for should be extended to a full check out and aerobatics course, after which I bought a YAk 52 and now fly a Yak 50. Whether or not you want to fly Yak 52's afterwards, you will enjoy every moment.

As for rates per hour etc, just pick up the phone and ask him...

:D

bogcleaner
24th Aug 2002, 09:20
I can`t recommend Genna highly enough, did 4 hours in the Yak 52 just for pure fun, really good instructor on quite a complex aircraft.

Flash0710
30th Aug 2002, 18:18
Careful!

Not only is flying with Genna one of the best moves pilot can make flying the yak is very VERY addictive

Go for it even if its one of those " just to get in log book" things.

Can't recommend it enough.

Ps

After you have flown post back to let us know what you thaught!

KitKatPacificuk
29th May 2003, 21:12
Just to reopen this!! Does anyone have Ian Austins number.

ACX
30th May 2003, 03:48
I would reccommend that anyone with a YAK spends some time with Genna, but there are a couple of things you ought to be aware of, just to keep you legal!

If the aircraft is on a UK Permit to Fly it can not be used for aerial work and thus there can be no payments made.

If it is still on a foreign register you need an operating permit (See ANO Article 115). I can't remember if this comes from the CAA or the Department for Transport.

In any case speak to the CAA General Aviation Department who will normally help in obtaining the correct paperwork.

AC&X

Lowtimer
30th May 2003, 16:20
kitkat -

see your private messages!