PDA

View Full Version : Go-around..... what then?

jmmoric
2nd Sep 2021, 13:40
I have one question that is bugging me a little.

If, during final approach, I give an aircraft the instruction to go-around.... what can I expect?

I know I can expect the aircraft to follow the lateral profile of final approach path until the missed approach point, and from the follow the missed approach path. And I can expect an aircraft conducting an ILS approach to do the same, where the missed approach point will be where the glide path intersects the DA/H.

But what about the vertical profile? Will an aircraft start climbing right away, or are they allowed to continue descending to the DA/H or MDA/H before beginning the climb out?

I recall it taking one of my colleagues by surprise many years ago, and the report back then stated that it was allowed.

Not talking about the pilot in commands final say in landing versus going around here.

rudestuff
2nd Sep 2021, 14:14
Obviously you're the one in ATC(?), so I can only give a pilots perspective that 'go around' means do not land (in the absence of any other instructions). That could mean going almost to the runway (and below DA if visual) or it could mean a gentle decent to (if still above) the missed approach altitude.
If I'm told to go around at 1500' and acknowledge the instruction - even though I can do it at my leisure, ATC probably wouldn't expect us to take it all the way down.

jmmoric
2nd Sep 2021, 15:05
Also teaching (as well as I can). But there are still stuff I have a hard time finding during my time digging through documents etc. And yes, go-around is one of the topics for recurrenct training from time to time hence the question.

So we may not expect a continued descend, but it shouldn't surprise.

Intruder
2nd Sep 2021, 17:40
To dispel any doubt, if you are ATC, give a clear instruction: "Airplane 123, Go around. Climb now to 1500'. Follow the Missed Approach Procedure."

Without any other instruction, I would start the Missed Approach immediately, including the climb.

island_airphoto
2nd Sep 2021, 19:44
Absent some instruction to do otherwise, I would not continue descending if given the order to go around. Go-arounds are usually something that happens close to landing. If I was miles out I would expect a heading and and altitude, the MAP was not written with being say 10 miles out in mind.

Denti
2nd Sep 2021, 22:12
My last go around was advised around 6 miles out, so i took my time and did not immediately start it, after all we were still quite far away and there was plenty time to do a quick brief while continuing on the ILS and then do it with both of us completely aware of the plan. In that case we were instructed to deviate from the standard missed approach procedure after we initiated the missed approach, which was necessary for weather reasons anyway.

JOSHUA
3rd Sep 2021, 07:55
These days I would always have a mini brief before initiating a go around - so would continue a little further down the slope toward the runway - the mini brief with your colleague, ensures there’s no startle attached to the go around and may perhaps involve a quick review of initial actions you’d both take to ensure the correct sequence of events, thus avoiding company paperwork and of course a safe, low workload go around

safetypee
3rd Sep 2021, 08:40
A good example from the LHR ATC after the 777 accident.
‘X-xx’
Approach clearance cancelled.
Climb 4000ft
Call London on … …

Simple, ordered, clear.
Acknowledge, Aviate, Navigate, …, …

3rd Sep 2021, 13:00
Is this like 'follow the glideslope' instead of an appropriate clearance?
'Go around!' Simple, ordered, clear.

mmm345
4th Sep 2021, 07:33
As you stated, when issued with a go arround/ missed approach instruction. PAN-Ops states that the aircraft conducts a missed approach prior to the missed appoach point, the aircraft must fly to the missed approach point and then conduct the missed approach procedure from there ( this is required for both 3D ( DA) and 2D ( MDA) approaches). A common missconception is that on a 3D approach and a MAP is coducted say at 1000ft AGL due to being out of tolerance for example, the aircraft is to conduct the MAP immediatly, which may be a turn etc. This is wrong, the aircraft must fly to the missed approach point ( in this case the location of the intersection of the electronic glide path with the DA) and then conduct the MAP from there.

However, this is only the lateral component of a missed approach. You would start climbing immediately ( or relativly immediatly depending on the situation but there is no reason for delay and every reason for expedition). Climbing whilst continuing following the IAP to the MAPt, thence from the missed approach point ( which could be the intersection of the DA with the GS, the navigational aid, fix or distance from the FAF), thence from the MApt, begining to follow the lateral guidence, inconjunction with the climb you already initiated.

This is not to be confused with a normal 2D or non-precision approach, where you can descend to and hold level flight( if perrmitted by the chart) at the minima and fly level at this altitude until the missed approach point and then fly the missed approach procedure from there. The difference here is, in this sceniero mentioned, no missed approach instruction has been given, however once a missed approach instruction is given, you must immediatly start climbing ( because why would you continue descent where the only outcome is you getting closer to preceding traffic or another factor that caused the GA instruction in the first place) and then when positioned over the MAPt, conduct the charted missed approach procedure.

For example, lets say the missed approach procedure is Turn left, track 320 degress, climb to 4000.

If you are required to go -around lets say at 1000ft, you would continue tracking via the IAP to the missed approach point ( for simplicity sake say at a DME distance that correlates with intersection with the DA), whilst simultanously begining climbing. Once at the MAPt, say now at 2000ft, you begin to follow the lateral profiile ( turn left track 320), whilst continuing with the vertical profile on climb to 4000.