PDA

View Full Version : UK airspace structure

pilotnik86
31st Aug 2021, 20:03
Please help me understand some aspects of UK airspace. I believe there are some UK ATCOs in here. I am afraid I can't find answers online.

What are the "Joiners" and "Leavers"? I suspect these may be fixes on the (or near) TMA boundaries - can't find any confirmation though.
In what manner do lower ATC sectors (below FL195) work? Are these sectors boundaries limited to CTA only? For example Strumble CTA looks like a narrow funnel with various declared bases. Does it mean the ATCOs' area of responsibility is limited only to this narrow airway? Or maybe actual sectors are wider than the CTA and ATCOs are responsible also for information service in the airspace adjecent to CTA? (on request obviously)

I am aware that there are FISOs in UK. However, FISO area of responsibility differs from country to country. Sometimes they share airspace with ATCO, sometimes they don't. Sometimes there are no FISOs at all.

Papillon1983
5th Sep 2021, 12:58
Hi,

‘Joiners’ are simply aircraft which will join controlled airspace at some point in their flight, ‘leavers’ are those which will leave controlled airspace. For example flying to or from an airport in class g airspace, and joining or leaving controlled airspace en route.

If you google UK airspace structure the top 2 results (both NATS pages) explain the basics. I’d post the links but I’m too new at posting on here to be allowed to attach URLs!

Hope that helps!

pilotnik86
9th Sep 2021, 11:33
Hi,

If you google UK airspace structure the top 2 results (both NATS pages) explain the basics. I’d post the links but I’m too new at posting on here to be allowed to attach URLs!

Hope that helps!

Thank You for the joiners/leavers. As for the second question, there is no clear explanation to what I ask I am afraid.

Papillon1983
9th Sep 2021, 12:17
Very generally speaking, approach controllers will look after the CTR and CTA around the airport, approximately up to FL100 (varies from unit to unit) and will also provide services for aircraft requesting one in surrounding uncontrolled airspace. A non radar service may also be requested outside of controlled airspace from London Information (FISOs). For the ATS routes and CTAs above the approach controllers responsibility, area controllers will look after aircraft inside controlled airspace. It really depends on the area control unit as to whether they provide services outside controlled airspace at higher levels - some do and some do not. Outside of controlled airspace it is usual for the pilot to decide who is most appropriate to speak to - there’s no hard rules over which unit they will work, and they do not have to speak to anybody at all. I hope that helps!

Papillon1983
9th Sep 2021, 12:23
“Does it mean the ATCOs' area of responsibility is limited only to this narrow airway? Or maybe actual sectors are wider than the CTA and ATCOs are responsible also for information service in the airspace adjecent to CTA? (on request obviously)”

The ATCO’s area of responsibility is the airway / CTA in your example, the area adjacent to the airway/ CTA is not classed as part of the sector, but the ATCO may be asked to provide a service outside by a pilot.

pilotnik86
13th Sep 2021, 06:13
“Does it mean the ATCOs' area of responsibility is limited only to this narrow airway? Or maybe actual sectors are wider than the CTA and ATCOs are responsible also for information service in the airspace adjecent to CTA? (on request obviously)”

The ATCO’s area of responsibility is the airway / CTA in your example, the area adjacent to the airway/ CTA is not classed as part of the sector, but the ATCO may be asked to provide a service outside by a pilot.

Thank You. That is exactly what I asked for. UK airspace structure happen to be quite peculiar in relation to other European countries. There are several different ideas in which lower ACC sector work across the EU. It is quite hard to figure it out unless you ask someone who does the job herself.