PDA

View Full Version : eExams

BigEndBob
30th Aug 2021, 20:12
So my student has studied book, done online, practise papers 100% Op. procedures..
Sits eExam, gets 41%.
Says half the question he had never seen mentioned in books.
Even i had to go Google for elt frequencies, not in study book, (been a while since atpl exams). Why ask such a question at ppl level?
And question on airframe icing not mentioned in any books.
Even the decode sheet shows no section on airframe icing.

MrAverage
31st Aug 2021, 08:18
All new questions Bob. See my post here on the "other side" #1867139:

https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=119256&start=15

BigEndBob
31st Aug 2021, 10:16
I expect new questions, but not based on what's not in common study books or material.

Fl1ingfrog
31st Aug 2021, 17:20
And question on airframe icing not mentioned in any books.

That is not true; there can hardly be a subject that is discussed in more detail: carburettor, pitot icing through to heavy airframe icing. Anti-icing and de-icing techniques and methods are also covered in detail.

Even i had to go Google for elt frequencies, not in study book, (been a while since atpl exams). Why ask such a question at ppl level?

Many ELTs in use are no longer fully receivable. It is important to know the correct ELT frequency (unit) that is monitored whatever the pilots qualification.

You don't mentioned the reading material used by your student. There are a lot of dodgy study material published by hopers and should not be used. Surely we instructors should ensure that our students follow the best and correct study material.

BEagle
31st Aug 2021, 18:55
1. Icing is covered in the 'Flight Hazards' section of the Met exam at 050.10.01.00. NOT in the Op Procs exam!
2, ELT frequencies were NOT in the approved exam questions developed by the UK PPL Exam WG as there are rather more important issues to be covered.

BigEndBob
31st Aug 2021, 20:57
Student got 41%, so no decode of failed questions provided.
So basically seemed to be saying, at least read a book before trying again.
Not very helpful.

BigEndBob
31st Aug 2021, 20:59
That is not true; there can hardly be a subject that is discussed in more detail: carburettor, pitot icing through to heavy airframe icing. Anti-icing and de-icing techniques and methods are also covered in detail.

Many ELTs in use are no longer fully receivable. It is important to know the correct ELT frequency (unit) that is monitored whatever the pilots qualification.

You don't mentioned the reading material used by your student. There are a lot of dodgy study material published by hopers and should not be used. Surely we instructors should ensure that our students follow the best and correct study material.
Should have said the Op. Proc. in a very popular Pooley's study book regards airframe icing.
Book was 2018 version, told these were the latest addition.
Doesn't help being padded out with lots of Air Law stuff, which in a way is OP, but not in the published syllabus for OP.
CAP1298 2015 seems the only guide.

BigEndBob
31st Aug 2021, 21:15
I think many would assume by now any branded ELT bought or in operation now meets latest requirements.