PDA

View Full Version : Harvard aeros near Merryfield - anyone on here?

TommyOv
15th Jul 2021, 14:02
Hi all,

I live quite close to RNAS Merryfield, in Somerset. Quite often, someone demonstrates how much more fun they're having than I am by aerobatting their Harvard (yellow, with USAF markings) more or less over my house. Ten minutes on Google didn't suggest the aeroplane belongs to the RN's historic flight at Yeovilton, and I can't find it advertising air experience flights anywhere, so I wondered if it's privately owned and whether the intrepid aviator frequents these fora. I'd be very interested to know where the aircraft is based - the Harvard is very much on my bucket list!

Let me know if this is you!
Cheers,
Tom
(currently ground-bound PPL)

ETOPS
15th Jul 2021, 14:47
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1000x579/image_2dc0e41a6aa9d178c704058afbf287a533dc70bd.jpeg
This one was recently sold by a friend of mine to the Royal Navy Heritage trust so probably the one you saw..

TommyOv
15th Jul 2021, 15:13
Thanks ETOPS - that looks like the one! As it's now with the RN I expect the chances of a back seat ride went with it!

Best,
Tom

NoelEvans
15th Jul 2021, 15:30
Tom,

You appear to be about an hour's drive from Compton Abbas airfield. Look there.

Great aeroplane! Go for it. (I'm going to make you jealous now -- it was my first solo aeroplane!)

NRU74
15th Jul 2021, 16:51
You may be interested to hear that KF183/G-CORS which is hangared at East Midlands landed today at about noon with an undercarriage problem and closed the airport for c one hour.It was removed by a crane. Some info on the Derbyshire Live site.

BEagle
16th Jul 2021, 08:18
When I lived half a mile south of the RW27 threshold at RAF Merryfield in the 1950s, the aeros were usually by the resident Vampires and the occasional Meteor. Also some Sabres on air test and later the RN with various aircraft.

When the skies were full. Happier days!!