PDA

View Full Version : Security clearance required to be a pilot in the UK

AMC1045
15th Jul 2021, 07:24
Hi everyone, I was researching what level of security clearance is required to be an airline pilot in the UK, I noticed that all aircrew would need an airside pass, but I thought that seemed a bit lax. Is any further vetting required, for example, a CTC?

redsnail
15th Jul 2021, 08:41
From the UK's CAA (https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Security/Regulation/Criminal-record-checks/) site.

Teddy Robinson
15th Jul 2021, 09:53
Why are you asking, is my first question ?

AMC1045
15th Jul 2021, 10:05
I already have a security clearance from a previous job, so I was wondering if it could be transferred over to save time, or if the level of vetting required for pilots would be higher than my existing clearance therefore requiring me to start the process from scratch

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
15th Jul 2021, 14:41
You will need a valid CRB to get a new airside pass. I think it has to be issued within 60 days of your CRB issue.

Nightstop
15th Jul 2021, 17:14
The vetting required for the issue of a UK Airside pass is certainly not lax. Despite once being a UK Airside pass holder some time back, I had to submit an notarised overseas criminal record check to cover my time out of the UK prior to re-entry as a UK based employee.

AMC1045
15th Jul 2021, 17:29
If you don't mind me asking, for what job was the airside pass required? Is the airside pass alone sufficient for working as an airline pilot?