PDA

View Full Version : Tank-to-engine AMC requirement

RudderTrimZero
5th Jul 2021, 07:17
A while back, during a company IOCC, the instructor stated that according to EASA and FAA Applicable Means of Compliance (AMC) criteria, all aircraft are mandated to have their engines draw fuel from the 'onside' wing tanks for takeoffs and landings. This turned out to be BS because the 787 and I believe 777X can run of the centre tanks during takeoff. I have never found the reference myself for what he stated. Does anyone know if it has any legs at all? Was it a part of an older AMC document?

Thanks

eckhard
5th Jul 2021, 08:03
On the 747-400:

Fuel load more than approx 120T: The Centre Tank feeds the outboard engines during take-off (and landing!)* and the inboard engines feed from their respective wing tanks.
*Any time the flaps are extended. (Wings hold about 110T but there might be a restriction on Centre Pump usage with low fuel levels in the Centre Tank.)

Fuel load 53T to 120T: All engines feed from the inboard wing tanks during take-off and landing.

Fuel load less than 53T: Each engine feeds from its respective wing tank during take-off and landing.

Also, as far as I remember, there was no prohibition on crossfeeding fuel during take-off and landing, if it was required.

So, to answer your question; I don't think your instructor is correct for "all aircraft".