PDA

View Full Version : living in an aeroplane?

733driver
21st Aug 2002, 10:21
OK, this is only a half serious question...

I kinda like the idea of buying an old jet (anything from an 737 to a A300 or DC10) with all engines, avionics and other valuable parts removed and make a house out of it. Maybe just a vacation home in a nice place close to the beach in southern europe.

I would leave some of the original c-class seats in and use em for a home movie theatre. I would keep some of the overhead bins for storage. I would install the guest-toilett in the original lavatory and I would certainly add many things like a luxurious bathroom, comfy bedroom...

I would imagine that one coul get a scrapped airplane for close to nothing. The major problem would propably be the transport of the thing from the destination of its last flight to where I want it.

How does it usually work when an airplane retires and is parked in the desert? Does it get flown to the desert, parts removed there and shipped back to the owner...?

Do you know of anybody who has ever done anything like this or is dreaming the same dream...?

Please let me know what you think of this!:cool:

Mago
21st Aug 2002, 11:04
Check this out:

http://www.maxpoweraero.com/homes/pageone.htm

I recall reading another project made by an individual, I will try to find it.

Note.- I have no relation whatsoever with the mentioned company.......just in case:p

Hagbard the Amateur
21st Aug 2002, 11:04
Well I have a similar dream but I doubt I'll ever have the money to make it reality. I'd love to turn an old jet fuselage into a recording studio. The outer shell is already pretty well soundproofed and with CCTV linkage to the booths, you could have the control room where the cockpit used to be. Ah well - It might have been more workable back in the days of Led Zeppelin...

Hippy
21st Aug 2002, 20:45
As a kid being brought up in Malta - yes, scaley brat ;) - I remeber an old airliner (Comet or Brittania or somthing) that had been converted into a restaurant. I think it had just been towed the quarter mile or so from Halfar, after being stripped.

Would be intersted to know if it is still there.

Hippy.

Woodman
22nd Aug 2002, 06:49
And some Korean gentlemen turned up at Manston a year or so ago and paid real money for a Tristar. They arranged a company to carefully cut it up and remove it by road to ship to Korea where, we were told, it was to be a restaurant. Once the cheque had cleared we didn't enquire too deeply.
Has anyone ever seen the finished product?

GlueBall
22nd Aug 2002, 18:26
Complete Info (http://www.nwcsi.com/AirplaneHome/)

733driver
24th Aug 2002, 11:38
Mago, GlueBall,

thanks for the links. I couldnīt believe my eyes. All very interesting, indeed!

All the others,

thanks for sharing your thoughts and info. Much appreciated!

Capt L
25th Aug 2002, 09:01
There used to be a Macca's near Perth (Australia) with a aircraft fitted out with tables and chairs for kids parties and stuff like that.

I think it was a DC3, don't know if it's still there though.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Number Cruncher
25th Aug 2002, 15:00
Hippy

Know the one! If memory serves me right, the restaurant/plane is no longer there. Hal-Far is now mainly an industrial estate.

canberra
26th Aug 2002, 12:24
hippy i remember the airliner bar(no im not a scalie brat!) it was a constellation.