PDA

View Full Version : Where to go?

Pronto
21st Aug 2002, 09:09
I've got one of my club's singles booked out for much of Bank Holiday Monday. :) I've also been asked to take a rather nice (female) friend up with me. No problems there at all.

I'd like to make it a really memorable day for her (for all the right reasons). I've got a few ideas of where to go, but does anybody know of any aerodromes either with a very good restaurant on the airfield, or within an easy walk? She's quite keen on seafood so a coastal aerodrome would seem like a good idea. Any suggestions from anyone?

I'm based in the Midlands.

On a similar note somebody suggested the Propeller Inn at Bembridge (IoW). Has anyone been there and can give me an idea of what it's like?

bcfc
21st Aug 2002, 10:59
How about Perranporth - then taxi into Newquay.

Make sure you take your jams and check the CofG if the board is in the back. :cool:

Spiney Norman
21st Aug 2002, 11:19
Perranporth is a very nice place to visit but I can't think of any decent retaurants in town. The flight there would be superb along the N coast of Devon & Cornwall. The walk from the airfield to Perranporth along the cliffs is beautiful on a good day but takes some time. Don't walk back because it's seriously uphill!

Spiney

JayCeeEll
21st Aug 2002, 12:14
Was at Bembridge for the first time last Sunday, supposed to be at Sleap but weather going North from Bournemouth was just horrible. So plan for more than one destination!

Food at the Propeller Inn was very good. There was a good mix of dishes available. Pricess varied for £5 for a baguette up to £15 for steak.

Don't forget to look out for gliders / glider tugs landings on the grass strip when you are on the footpath to the Pub.

Landing fee was £10 just in case you care.

Pronto
27th Aug 2002, 11:52
Many thanks to all who contributed suggestions or supplied information. Unfortunately, very low cloud and poor vis in the Midlands prevented me flying.

I'll bear the suggestions in mind for the next time though.