PDA

View Full Version : Joe Bidens helicopters at Northolt

nomorehelosforme
14th Jun 2021, 13:52
Somebody got close enough to film the rehearsals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wSE7tE0u5A

Agile
15th Jun 2021, 02:14
You know what hapenned when those rotors touch eachother, right!
wihtout the depth persepective it looks chilling to see them so close to each other.

After lift off, it looks like a rate of climb contest,
was waiting for the puma to outclimb them all...but the 145 won

15th Jun 2021, 07:09
Not sure if it was supposed to be a formation or not - most of the time it was a random gaggle.

ShyTorque
15th Jun 2021, 07:20
A random gaggle is far safer with mixed types, especially when they’re not even from the same unit and haven’t practiced together before. I certainly wouldn’t expect anything like Red Arrows precision!

TBH, the biggest threat to safety in those circumstances is a blue on blue mid-air!

Less Hair
15th Jun 2021, 07:29
The presidential helicopters change their position within their formation all the time for security reasons. That's routine.

chevvron
15th Jun 2021, 08:08
The presidential helicopters change their position within their formation all the time for security reasons. That's routine.
Trouble is the Puma is too fast for them and has to keep slowing down or weaving about.:D

SASless
15th Jun 2021, 15:48
Last time I checked the Puma has a Lever on the left side of the Pilot's chair that controls the speed of the aircraft....pull up...it can go faster....lower it a bit...it goes slower.....or has that changed?

Now cue the CFS types with their colored pencil sets to explain all of this to the unwashed.

ShyTorque
15th Jun 2021, 16:16
Shooooulderrrrr.... CHIPS!

When I flew them for ten years they could fly at a whole range of speeds.
CFS? You mean coloured, obviously.

15th Jun 2021, 17:56
The presidential helicopters change their position within their formation all the time for security reasons. That's routine. Do please explain why.

If you have a decent DAS then moving around the sky makes no difference.

Changing position to play switcheroo, which one has the POTUS, is pointless - if you can take one down you would take both to be sure.

Less Hair
15th Jun 2021, 18:21
I don't know why exactly they do it but I have observed them doing it all the time. There is obviously a concept behind it.

aa777888
15th Jun 2021, 18:32
The concept is called "security theater". It provides the ignorant with the feeling and appearance of security where none actually exists. There's a lot of that in the security business all around the world. It's actually pretty amazing there isn't more terrorism, etc. than there is. There is no lack of tactics, techniques and technology, there is only the lack of will.

212man
15th Jun 2021, 18:36
Do please explain why.

If you have a decent DAS then moving around the sky makes no difference.

Changing position to play switcheroo, which one has the POTUS, is pointless - if you can take one down you would take both to be sure.

yes, you obviously know your stuff - I’ve seen ‘London has fallen’ and that’s exactly what happened.

15th Jun 2021, 18:39
Well can you explain why they do it oh tactics guru?

212man
15th Jun 2021, 18:45
Well can you explain why they do it oh tactics guru?
lost in translation I think. Was a light hearted way of agreeing with you (and the guy with lots of numbers in his name)

15th Jun 2021, 20:37
Roger - defo lost in translation :ok::)

tartare
16th Jun 2021, 01:32
I had heard they switched places in flight too.
Informally referred to as `the shell game' by Marine One crews?

SASless
16th Jun 2021, 09:19
Look back at the attacks on US Presidents....it is not a Terrorist with a Manpad....but rather a lone crazed gunman (or gun woman) that gets them.....discounting the JFK Assassination which still remains unsolved with any real satisfaction.

nowherespecial
16th Jun 2021, 11:32
Highlight of the thread so far is 212man admitting he's seen London Has Fallen :)

gulliBell
16th Jun 2021, 14:31
If I ground taxied a 61 down that wobbly runway I think I would get sea sick.

chevvron
17th Jun 2021, 08:20
Last time I checked the Puma has a Lever on the left side of the Pilot's chair that controls the speed of the aircraft....pull up...it can go faster....lower it a bit...it goes slower.....or has that changed?

Now cue the CFS types with their colored pencil sets to explain all of this to the unwashed.
Did you not notice the 'smiley' I inserted to indicate 'tongue in cheek'?