PDA

View Full Version : Redo SEP

cycles gladiator
13th Jun 2021, 13:57
Hi are the any instructors out there in the UK that can help with SEP? In the South East. An out of work pilot so hoping to redo SEP. Last time was in NZ about 6 years ago. Any recommendation appreciated.

shorehamite
13th Jun 2021, 21:00
so you do not have the SEP rating on your ATPL, and you want to know how to get it issued and put on page XII, without having to do a 45 hour PPL course.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Jun 2021, 21:31
I instruct with a school at Cranfield which has a couple of half decent PA28s if that's any good?

Guessing it's a lapsed SEP, so instruction as required and a proficiency check with a tame examiner? Easily arranged.

G

Whopity
13th Jun 2021, 22:28
An out of work pilot so hoping to redo SEP Redoing the SEP can be quite simple, but it rather depends upon who issued the licence. After 6 years you will need an ATO/DTO not a stand alone instructor.

cycles gladiator
14th Jun 2021, 05:50
Yep. Got ATPL, no SEP on it but 50 odd hours on SEP 6 yrs ago.

MrAverage
14th Jun 2021, 08:13
Which country was your licence issued by?

cycles gladiator
14th Jun 2021, 08:46
Licence issued in UK. Hoping for Shoreham or Redhill but will consider others in the south east.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jun 2021, 09:47
So basically you need training as required within an ATO, course completion certificate, and an SEP skill test.

Nothing that should overly challenge you, any good flying school can do that in a few days.

G

MrAverage
14th Jun 2021, 16:29
Opinions differ. If there is no SEP on the front or back of the licence some would say 10 hours of solo in a single is required, possibly including a QXC.

Nothing laid down, but the Belgrano is being very picky with all applications at present.

Duchess_Driver
15th Jun 2021, 07:45
If there is no SEP on the front or back of the licence some would say 10 hours of solo in a single is required, possibly including a QXC.

Why would they say that…? They already have a commercial licence for which they needed a minimum of 100 solo and a qualifying cross country. (Integrated course minima differ, but still way above this ridiculous interpretation)

I would expect an hour or so GH/emergencies, a short Nav to demonstrate proficiency and then some circuit work. Sorted.

Whopity
15th Jun 2021, 18:47
If there is no SEP on the front or back of the licence some would say 10 hours of solo in a single is required,
Agree with Duchess_Driver.
The last time I wrote a Training Manual for a SEP Class Rating course I allowed 3 hours. Its approved so the CAA has to accept it.
possibly including a QXC.
The QXC was a pre-requisite for a UK National PPL pre 1999! An ATPL holder had to do a 300 nm X-Cty to qualify for the initial licence issue in accordance with ICAO Annex 1.
The only people who might have to do solo flying are holders of an MPL, the 300 nm X-Cty required for commercial licences doesn't even need to be solo. The only reason its solo for a PPL is because the holder doesn't have a licence when they fly it!

basil faulty
16th Jun 2021, 06:45
If you have a current ATPL but no SEP on the licence then it would be training as required to pass an LST. I can help at Lydd via TG aviation. All of our FIs are very experienced ex airline or military and we have an in house examiner, me! Give Sue a call.

cycles gladiator
16th Jun 2021, 08:39
If you have a current ATPL but no SEP on the licence then it would be training as required to pass an LST. I can help at Lydd via TG aviation. All of our FIs are very experienced ex airline or military and we have an in house examiner, me! Give Sue a call.

Thanks. Might get back to you if nothing at Shoreham or Redhill Any idea how much?

Genghis the Engineer
16th Jun 2021, 10:52
Thanks. Might get back to you if nothing at Shoreham or Redhill Any idea how much?

That will always depend on the pilot.

I've flown as an instructor with several experienced airline pilots for such purposes and seen everything from a quick hour around the houses and they were ready, to somebody who had completely lost the ability to navigate visually and operate as a single pilot.

G

MrAverage
17th Jun 2021, 07:39
And therein lies the problem

shorehamite
18th Jun 2021, 20:01
michael, call dave henderson, 07950002288, hes at shoreham.

Golf--Lima--Papa
24th Jun 2021, 09:04
Very simple process as long as you’ve still got a decent level of flying ability. I was in the same position, hadn’t flown a SEP aircraft for about 6 years and now have an ATPL.

Earlier this year I went to a flying school in England, went up for one hour with the instructor who was also an examiner. Had a bit of fun for an hour going through all the good stuff. Landed and had a break. Then went back up for the test. All very straightforward and great fun.

Completed in a just over 2 hours flying time and after arriving at the school at 8am I left before lunch with my SEP back in my pocket.

cycles gladiator
24th Jul 2021, 18:22
Thanks everybody. I got myself sorted in Shoreham.