PDA

View Full Version : The effects of COVID-19 on pilot absenteeism

BTAP
20th May 2021, 16:19
Hi everyone, I'm trying to investigate whether airline pilots are as comfortable going sick or fatigued in future if airlines use absence to pick redundancies or punishment. Realise it's not a huge issue everywhere but all data is good. Would really appreciate your time - it takes a few minutes, is completely anonymous and it’s in all of our interest.

https://cityunilondon.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4Yi3R6nrTLKS0ux

Thanks in advance!

what next
20th May 2021, 16:27
Maybe you should add "this survey is for airline pilots only" in your post to save us non-airline professional pilots some time.

BTAP
20th May 2021, 16:48
Done - cheers for the advice and thanks all the same!

Zombywoof
21st May 2021, 00:37
Yes, because it cost you five seconds of your precious time to read that message. :ugh:

Denti
21st May 2021, 10:36
Considering sick days were at least officially thought of as a criterium for redundancies at a big orange bunch, and will be used, even if not officially, at many employers, of course there is an impact.

what next
21st May 2021, 12:03
It is not about my precious time. I followed the link and wanted to contribute, only to find out that my opinion is not wecome. I have an ATPL and x-thousand hours on turbine driven airplanes just like all the colleagues flying for airlines, and I need to worry about my job in these times exactly like most of us. If it had been clear that only first-class pilots need to participate I would just have ignored it.

back to Boeing
21st May 2021, 13:44
it’s the super secret ultra violet stamp we airline pilots get on our licences when we get our first (non crew) drunk on board 🤣 (I’ve said too much already)

Sick
21st May 2021, 14:35
And conversely, I wonder, when pilots are rostered to return from furlough, how many will return. I know my patience is wearing mighty thin with being fobbed off with taxpayer funded furlough, and almost nothing else, expected to remain available for months on end, do all the usual training, and then return at the drop off a hat (on a greatly reduced salary). The last year has taught me, and no doubt many others, that there is a world, and opportunities outside airline flying.

BTAP
21st May 2021, 19:03
Hey guys, thanks so much for all the responses so far. Already way-surpassed the uptake I expected - while it's a hot topic for us all, I really appreciate the support!

what next - Apologies, I have to hone in on a particular sector of the market, otherwise there's a danger one could argue the scope is too wide and the data doesn't apply to an airline environment (which could do with leading by example). Just trying to cover the defence!

Denti - I can't really go into detail as yet, but as you say a couple of carriers saw it fit to publicly announce their desire to use sickness. It hasn't gone unnoticed! :ok:

Sick - I agree there's a reasonable chance in particular parts of the world they've underestimated the return. Of course with the number of guys out of work, who knows the effect it will have... Though I have spoken to several who are planning the exit, despite still flying. What has happened in a little over a year?!

Thanks again all.

SaulGoodman
21st May 2021, 21:08
as much as you need. I believe a lot of your questions are flawed. You might want to reconsider some of your questioning a bit more careful. Also there are quite a lot of cargo pilots ;)

ScepticalOptomist
21st May 2021, 21:45
Denti

Must be a cultural thing, as I’ve never heard of such a tactic used in my country. As sick leave is an entitlement required by law, it’s also illegal to discriminate based on its usage.

BTAP
22nd May 2021, 06:09
Saul: I saw the quote regarding acceptable levels of sick leave which isn't appearing here for some reason. I do completely agree with you, but I also understand an employer needs a 'line in the sand' for the point at which something is looked into - it is how that data is used which is potentially becoming a problem. There is a reasoning for the line of questioning, but I can't explain until the survey is closed or it could induce a bias. The cargo element is also just a matter of scope, it's not to say the report won't be directly relevant and applicable. Thanks for your time with it!

Sceptical: Exactly; to my knowledge, this certainly isn't an issue in particular areas. That point will be fully reflected in the report, providing the data confirms it. Thanks!