PDA

View Full Version : flying in the states

WALKER999
20th Aug 2002, 20:14
Just wonderd if any one knows if there is a web site listing all the Flying schools in Florida USA or could recomend a good place for the multi ratting over there ?? didnt get much luck on the FAA web site

TA :confused:

Keef
20th Aug 2002, 22:08
Not seen a website with them all. I did some research before I went there earlier this year, asking folks where they'd been and would they go there again. NOT done over PPRuNe, but e-mails direct to me, to avoid the various "problems" that could result otherwise.

Lots of folks responded, two schools were particularly well liked. I went to one of the two (Naples) and was highly satisfied.

There's a lot in the old threads - look back and you'll see it.

And don't forget you need a visa to train in the USA now, unless you're a US Citizen.

Chilli Monster
20th Aug 2002, 22:50
If it's just a multi rating you're after and nothing more is the states worth it? Once you add air fare and accomodation on what is a relatively short course you might be as well doing it in this country - and I can recommend a school very close to you with a very nice Seneca :)

CM

GoneWest
20th Aug 2002, 23:34
Walker - you live in Nottingham but looked at the FAA webiste????.

If you want a JAA multi rating - but done in Florida - then options are available (although not all of them can get you the required visa).

If you want an FAA multi rating - you have tons of options (although not all of them can get you the required visa).

Going back to the Monsters comments - if you want a JAA multi rating, you will get a much better one if you stay there!! The price difference won't be all that dramatic after all the hassle of getting to the States, but the training for the JAA multi will be much better in Nottingham than Florida.

Hey - whilst on the subject, it's not a "multi rating" any more - it's now a "Multi Engine (Piston) Class Rating"

<<edit: typo [Can't spell Monsters]>>

Tinker
21st Aug 2002, 00:18
I've seen several sites out there that list FBO's state by state but they never seem to be complete. If you want to try a bit of 'backwards engineering' try this link http://www.airnav.com/airports/us/FL

You'll have to got through each airport in turn but as far as I can tell it's a fairly comprehensive list, complete with lots of info you never really wanted to know. (good site though IMHO).

WALKER999
21st Aug 2002, 19:39
Thank you all for the comments , we are going to Florida any way the trip is not purly to get the "Multi Engine (Piston) Class Rating
but to experiance the art of flying another type whilst on holiday.

I last flew over there in 1999 and it sounds like a lot has changed
what is this visa u speek of , I am not an American citizen?
does it still apply if one already has an FAA certificate based on a uk PPL ?
Was the school u had in mind with the seneca Trumans ?
I had considerd going with Tony from Gamston , the price was quite good to be honest.
TA
:)

JUST SPOTTED THE VISA THREAD

Julian
22nd Aug 2002, 07:32
Walker,

If you aleady have an FAA cert issued off your PPL then you are ok to go flying in the US, however if you want to undertake any training then that a different matter.

Last I heard was that for JAA training in the US, you require a visa which must be applied for before you leave the UK and takes about 8 weeks. You cant pop done the embassey once over there!

FAA training is a problem, apparently FTOs have been told that they are not allowed to add any ratings to an FAA PPL issued on basis of a foreign licence. You can however still get endorsements in your logbook it seems (i.e. Complex endorsement), as they are not an addition to the licence they are just a sign off in your logbook by the instructor.

This info is about 2wks old so fairly current. Anyone Stateside give an update?

Julian.

englishal
22nd Aug 2002, 09:14
Cost in the US for a Seneca is around $170 / hr....and when you consider that the FAA ME rating will PROBABLY take 10 hrs then you could possibly make a saving, even after paying for flights.....I just bought a return ticket from LHR to LAX in October, on BA, via expedia for £200 plus tax.

If you go to California, I recommend a FTO, called (So BRL doesn't remove the link :D) the same name as that program that was on TV when I was a kid, featuring Bungle, Zippy and George:D Website is www.{bungle, zippy, george show}air.com

I heard a shocking story from some students of a very well known FTO in the UK, who were paying over £400 per hour for a Seneca for IR training ! Value for money???

Cheers
EA;)

WALKER999
23rd Aug 2002, 21:20
ok englishal but rainbow is in calafornia and were going to the east coast Florida but ta any way , U know its bad when us old folk can still remember uncle zippie and george HI Hi HI :p

willbav8r
23rd Aug 2002, 23:26
Hope it is okay to tap out a web address;

www.landings.com

gives a listing of schools, FBO's etc by state.

I can reccommend some options here on the West coast - E-Mail me if you wish.

Have fun.

englishal
24th Aug 2002, 08:43
:D