PDA

View Full Version : MEP FNPT

Rivet gun
8th May 2021, 21:06
If a school has a FNPT which is certified to represent a MEP type (or generic MEP class), to what extent can it be used for training or checking which might otherwise have been done on a SEP aeroplane?

For example, the full IR course where the student intends to take the test on a SEP aeroplane requires at least 50 hours instrument time under instruction. Could this be done 35 hours in FNPT II representing MEP type and 15 hours on SEP aeroplane.?

Could a MEP FNPT II be used for re-validation proficiency check for SEP IR (alternate years)?

Could 5 hours in MEP FNPT count towards the PPL (where skill test will be on SEP)?

Would the hours on MEP FNTP count only where the instructor was qualified to instruct on MEP or could an instructor qualified only for SEP instruct on MEP FNTP where no asymmetric power involved?

Whopity
9th May 2021, 10:35
A single-engine IR(A) course shall comprise at least 50 hours instrument time under instruction of which up to 20 hours may be instrument ground time in an FNPT I, or up to 35 hours in an FFS or FNPT II. A maximum of 10 hours of FNPT II or an FFS instrument ground time may be conducted in an FNPT I.

Where a ME FNPT is used it would need to be approved for SEP operation. Such a device would be used by an ATO with an IR approval which involves considerable costs that can be recovered from IR candidates but would prove more expensive than operating a SEP for PPL training. Apart from one hour of Ex 19 what could you reasonably do on a PPL course that would justify the additional expense? A DTO where most PPL training is conducted would not have an approved device.

An FNPT II or an FFS representing the relevant class or type of aeroplane may be used for the revalidation provided that at least each alternate proficiency check for the revalidation of an IR(A) is performed in an aeroplane.

It is unlikely that an instructor teaching on a ME FNPT would not be SE qualified however, the instructor must be qualified for what they are teaching. A CRI cannot conduct ab initio licence training.

rudestuff
10th May 2021, 04:30
In theory an FNPT2 should be cheap, but for the aforementioned reasons anything certified is expensive.
The cheapest way to train would be to avoid a SIM altogether and do all your IR training SEP. Because those hours also count towards your 200 hours, they're effectively free (other than the cost of the instructor and any premium for an IFR machine over your hour building aircraft.) You can always add the MEIR later.

​​​​

Rivet gun
10th May 2021, 12:14
You can always add the MEIR later.

​​​​
One IR skill test in a lifetime is enough for me, so it had to be MEP.

Whopity
10th May 2021, 18:18
Prior to the 55 hour JAA IR, it was normal to do most of the IR on SEP and then about 10 hours MEP, totalling 40 hours. When the course was increased to 55 hours, FNPTs appeared and accounted for up to 40 hours with 15 in the aircraft. Strangely the first time pass rate decreased with all this extra training.

rudestuff
10th May 2021, 19:08
One IR skill test in a lifetime is enough for me, so it had to be MEP.
Fair enough!! But for someone looking to get into an airline, they'll be doing it every 6 months..

Whopity
11th May 2021, 07:40
they'll be doing it every 6 months.. But not the same as an initial.
Doing a single and upgrading to Multi is another expensive option. Far better to do the initial on a multi.

Rivet gun
11th May 2021, 12:25
But not the same as an initial..

Yes, that was my point, I've probably done over 30 Licence Proficiency Checks which include IR re-validation but only one IR skill test.

Sleepybhudda
13th May 2021, 12:16
https://lisstdis.easa.europa.eu/eqstdis/index.php/fstd/downloadAttachment?fstd_id=794&fstd_version=1
Above is a qualification certificate for an FNPT II for Multi Engine Piston.
Below the same but for an FNPT II Single Engine.
https://lisstdis.easa.europa.eu/eqstdis/index.php/fstd/downloadAttachment?fstd_id=792&fstd_version=1

What they can be used for is stated on the certificate, these are EASA mirrors of the UK-FCL certification.