PDA

View Full Version : What is a 'NIMBY'

skyraider
20th Aug 2002, 17:13
evening all...

much effort has been expended over the past few months in an effort to discover the meaning of the expression 'NIMBY' without much success:(

ok.. not that much effort but as I am from south of the border, I figure it's a local expression so someone please shed some light...:D

cheers
Sky

sennadog
20th Aug 2002, 17:15
N ot
I n
M y
B ack
Yard ...........

Common to all muppets who refuse to have local amenities near their houses.

Evo7
20th Aug 2002, 17:20
The true NIMBY will protest at having something near their house, but will happily use it if it is built elsewhere. Airfields are but one example - your NIMBY will moan about everything from Landfill to Supermarkets.... :rolleyes:

skyraider
20th Aug 2002, 17:21
Guys...

thanks for that, I can finally sleep tonight...

can you explain "obsessive compulsive"... :D

Sky

sennadog
20th Aug 2002, 17:22
can you explain "obsessive compulsive" - yes, otherwise known as a NIMBY.

Talking of which. It really annoys me living 5 miles south of Gatwick - those bl**dy planes make so much noise going over.

Having Redhill 2 miles away is handy though.:p

Just_Another_PPL
20th Aug 2002, 17:39
I laugh when people complain about new rwy's the reason they bought that house was because it was cheap, and it was cheap because it was by an airport, the only ones i have sympathy with are those who bought thier house before the airport.

Speedbird252
20th Aug 2002, 19:32
I mean, why did they build Windsor Castle so close to Heathrow?

Just asking for trouble.

Evening all,

Speedy

PS - Hey EVO, dont your folks live in Lavant? Ever been tempted to depart straight out of 32 without the noise turn?

Go on, dare ya!

SatInTheBack
21st Aug 2002, 00:25
Talking of which. It really annoys me living 5 miles south of Gatwick - those bl**dy planes make so much noise going over.

Having Redhill 2 miles away is handy though

I do hope you have a GPS to hand when you fly

Evo7
21st Aug 2002, 07:04
Speedbird - the neighbours would probably shoot me down. At least with a flapless to 14 the engine is on idle and they cannot hear you coming... :)

Who has control?
21st Aug 2002, 07:21
Sennadog......... If you live five miles south of Gatwick, then my map has Redhill in the wrong place :) :)

BLW Skylark 4
21st Aug 2002, 18:17
Working in the telecommunications industry - raping and pillaging the countryside, you know that sort of stuff, we come across another sadly not isolated type - the BANANA...!!!

Build
Absolutely
Nothing
Anywhere
Near
Anybody

:cool: [B]